Chapter 66: the overworld

Fanart by iikxtezz
And yes double upload.
_________________________________________
Dream POV.

I swear I had just laid down when my dad was shaking me awake. “Come on… we are going…” he said as he shook me. I let out a yawn and looked over to see Drista, my younger sister, still asleep. Why did I have to get woken up first?

“What the hell did you wake me up just after the new cycle for?” I growled, and his emerald green eyes flared up in slight anger. “Just because adult demons don’t need sleep doesn’t mean that me and Drista don’t.”
“First of all your mother will kill you if she hears you say that and secondly the leader of the Wrath layer ordered an evacuation to the surface… don’t know why…” he stated.

With a sigh I climbed out of bed and pulled on some clothes, watching as my dad woke Drista up. I reached down to grab some of my stuff but my dad told me to leave it because that is what we were told by the leader of Wrath’s layer.

He woke Drista up and carried her out with me following behind. Our mother was out there and gave us both a tired smile. Without saying anything she opened the door, beckoning for us to leave and so we did. A lot of demons were heading towards the layers South entrance, which is where all access to other layers were.

I saw flashes of familiar faces heading South. Neighbours who I have lived beside for years, traders who have given me food or clothes or a range of other things on several occasions, and classmates who I have learned alongside my entire life.

Before I could get lost in the crowd my mother grabbed my arm and pulled me back, refusing to let go of me even when I growled at her. “Don’t get lost or we might not find you,” she instructed firmly, her pink eyes staring into mine for a moment before she turned away and began walking again.

I wanted to go find Sapnap, or Skeppy, or Quackity, any of them would be good to hang out with. I was worried that I wouldn’t see them again, my only friends…
We reached the South entrance and a lot of demons were disappearing through it, up to the surface world. I watched as people disappeared, seemingly stepping into thin air.

Beside me were cypes, demons who served the leaders of the layers. I looked over at one and asked him where everyone was disappearing too. His glowing eyes shifted down to look at me and he spoke in a loud, gruff, tone. “The demon that went up was seemingly summoned through a portal made by humans, now he has opened it for us and we have all been told to go through it.”

“What will it be like?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. The portal thing was narrow, meaning that the flow of demons leaving was a lot slower and we didn’t need to move at all.
“How the hell would I know?” the cype growled, showing his fangs. “I haven’t been anywhere near that thing. We go out last…”

I bit the inside of my cheek as my mother grabbed my shoulder and the cype turned his attention away. “We are going now,” she stated briskly, nudging me towards the portal before following after me.

With a tentative look back at her I stepped through the portal, feeling ripples of flame flow through my body. I opened my eyes to see myself in a ruined room with white walls and bright light along with a tiled floor. Along the wall was a sign written in English which I think read P.O.G labs. The room looked destroyed, claw marks and blood were all over the walls and tiles and the door had been ripped off.

It was empty, the walls had been smashed in some places and demons had climbed down onto the ground. Every other demon from every other layer had been through here already, it was only what was left of the Wrath layer.

Behind me my parents stepped out of the portal with Drista still being carried in my fathers arms. I looked over to them and then past them as other demons began walking through the portal. My mother held my shoulder and then stepped past me to the place where the wall was missing.