Chapter 1

I was on my way home from work and I pulled into my driveway. I saw a car parked in front of my house and I recognized it as Rick's car. I shut the engine off and got out then walked to my front door, after locking my car doors. I went inside and saw Rick in the living room. He looked over when he heard me walk inside. I gave him my spare house key so if he needs to be alone, he can come in my house. He stood up and walked over to me.

"Hi Rick." I said. "Are you alright?" I asked, hanging up my coat.

"Me and Lori had a fight." He told me.

"About what?" I asked. He tells me everything since he trusts me.

We walked into the kitchen and I got us each a beer to drink while we talked. He explained everything to me about the fight.

"She said something I didn't think she'll ever say in front of Carl." He said.

"What did she say?" I asked.

"She said that she wonders if I even care about them at all." He told me. I widened my eyes at that. Why the hell would she say that? Especially in front of Carl. "I would never say something like that, especially in front of him." He said.

"I can't believe she said that. Of course you care about them." I said, appalled that Lori would say anything like that.

"She thinks all because I'm working different hours means I don't care about them. I work to support her and Carl." He said. "I just need to be away from her for a day or two." He said.

"You can stay here as long as you want, whenever you want. I don't mind." I said.

"Thank you Sydney." He said, smiling at me.

"No problem." I said, smiling back at him. "You're free to stay here anytime you want or need to." I said. "My ex-husband left some clothes here, so you can change into them to sleep in." I told him.

"Okay, thank you." He said, hugging me.

"You're welcome Rick." I said, hugging him back before the phone rang. I pulled away and picked up the phone.

"Hello." I answered.
"Hi Sydney, is Rick there?" Lori asked.
"He is. Why?" I replied.
"I need to talk to him." She said.
"Hold on." I said, putting my hand over the mouth part of the phone.

"Rick, it's Lori. Do you want to talk to her?" I asked him. He shook his head no.

"He doesn't want to talk to you right now." I told her.
"But I need to talk to him." She said.
"He doesn't want to talk to you after what you did. He'll talk to you when he wants to Lori." I said, hanging up the phone.

"You want to watch a movie with me Rick?" I asked.

"I would love to watch a movie with you." He said. "What are we watching?" He asked.

"A movie called Paranormal Activity." I said, putting popcorn into the microwave.

"That sounds like it'll be a good movie." He said.

"I hope it is. My friend said that she liked it even though it scared the living hell out of her." I said, chuckling.

He chuckled along with me and I took the popcorn out when it finished. I put the popcorn in a bowl then grabbed some drinks and we went into the living and I started the movie.

2 hours later

The movie came to an end and to be honest, I was scared. I didn't even notice I was holding onto Rick's arm until the movie was over.

"Got scared?" He asked, knowing the answer.

"Shut up." I said, letting go of his arm and stood up then walked to the kitchen while he was laughing.

We headed to our rooms since he's sleeping in the guest room and I gave him a change of clothes. I changed into my pajamas and laid down in my bed and turned the light off, falling asleep a few minutes later.