Chapter 23: Dream's and nightmares

George POV.

“Has Skeppy talked to you at all?” Dream asked Quackity who was talking on the other end of the line. The blond and I had been watching a movie, neither of us could focus well on anything really, we were both worried about Darryl and he was also worried about Skeppy.

I was resting tiredly on the bed with my head resting on Dream’s chest. His hand ran through my hair as he talked. As he had his conversation with the other demon I leaned closer to the phone, trying to hear the other half of the conversation. It caused Dream to chuckle and kiss my forehead which made me blush a little.

After talking for a while longer, Dream hung up the phone and I looked to him for an explanation, and he rubbed my head. “Quackity told me that Darryl and Skeppy got out of the hospital, just around dinner time. You’ll be glad to know that, and you and Karl could hang out with him tomorrow.”
“That’s good,” I replied, craning my head to the side as he began nuzzling into my neck.

When Darryl ran off last week Dream was mad at me for a while since I helped, keeping me locked in my room for a couple hours without food and stuff as a punishment. But I think he felt guilty because he tailed me like a puppy after that, cuddling me and doing anything I was going to do.

The blond demon eventually explained Skeppy’s job, it’s more like researching humans, and even though we do not like it he made me see the logic. Demons often are untrusting with others and a human can apparently be trusted, we are cute and cuddly (apparently) and a lot smaller, and we can calm them down. Humans get given food, water, and a bed. Plus there are apparently laws that Demons need to follow if they want a human as either a pet or a servant.

When Skeppy does take humans it is usually because he thinks they won’t survive in the wild easily, (this offended me), usually younger humans and their families if they had them, and humans with noticeable allergies or disabilities.
I guess that's why they went after Darryl, Karl, and me, I mean we are all teenagers without family… I guess.

Dream noticed my confusion and he nuzzled against my neck, “try not to think about it too much… it’s fine… you’re fine.”

We went back to watching the movie but I was thinking about a lot of different things, too many to list. The blond demon must have noticed because he turned the TV off and lifted me up, “maybe we should put movie night on hold.” He stated, wrapping my legs around his waist and resting my head on his shoulder as he carried me to my room and laid me down on the bed, not bothering to turn on the light and instead using his glowing eyes as a flashlight.

“Goodnight Georgie,” he said with a smile as he left the room, with only his glowing eyes as a light the room darkened the second he left. I watched the door for a moment before rolling over and curling up under the warm blanket.

I’d been so worried about Darryl over the past few days but now that I knew he was fine and back with Skeppy, and actually managed to go to sleep easily.

In Gogy’s dreams

My eyes fluttered open and I sat up, looking around the clearing where I was laying. It caused my mouth to hang open slightly, I was in the clearing outside a cave. The cave that I had been living in for the past 3 years with Darryl and Karl…

So was that it? Has everything that happened to me been a dream?

I stood up and looked around, stretching slightly as I did so. “George! You’re finally awake!” I spun around to see Darryl running over to me. “You’ve been asleep for ages. But come on, we have to pick the last of the berries in the area before it gets too cold.”
With a slightly confused expression I stood up and followed him back into the treelines.

Karl was sitting on a rock and drawing absentmindedly in the dirt. He smiled up at us as we approached. “Morning George,” he greeted, as I sat down to look at what he was drawing.
It was a picture that vaguely resembled 2 people, one was quite short and had a tuxedo or something on as well as a beanie on his head. The other was wearing a white fire print shirt and had a bandanna around his head.

“What are you drawing?” I asked curiously, and the brunette shrugged his shoulders.
“I don’t know… people I guess....”
I gave a nod but then looked up when I heard some rustling in the bushes, which neither of my friends seemed to notice.

A large fox with a row of large fangs, glossy red fur, and glowing brown eyes, watching me curiously and his eyes narrowed when we locked eyes. It seemed that he was about to approach me when a branch snapped off to the left of us. Darryl and Karl noticed this and the 3 of us, as well as the fox, and we looked over in the direction of the noise.

Between the trees towered a large creature with black scaly skin and glowing green eyes stared at us and let out a low growl. It had some long claws and a row of fangs which were partially covered by a mask.

Without giving us a moment to react he pounced at us, swinging his claws at us and sending Karl, Darryl, the fox, and myself running. I could feel the creature's eyes piercing my back, darting between mainly me and the fox who was running a few feet ahead of me.
Darryl and Karl had disappeared, leaving me and the fox to get pursued by the creature, tripping over roots and rocks. The fox passed me and I let out a scared shriek as I watched the black-skinned creature lunge forwards and pin the fox down, immediately sinking his teeth into the foxes fur and extracting a yelp of pain from the large animal.

Without sending another glance at the animal I continued to run until my foot got caught between some large roots, causing me to yell as I fell forward and attempted to stand up, but I couldn’t. I was left helpless as I watched the creature killing the fox, the fox let out almost human-like screams as he was brutally attacked by the creature.

Blood was flying everywhere and some even covered me, I probably would have let out an ear splitting scream if I wasn’t so scared. All the colour drained from my face as the creature finished off the fox, the creature stood up and looked over to me, it’s bright green eyes full of anger and flecks of blood covering his face like thick paint.

In a moment he had made his way over to me and stared down at me, eyes glinting cruelly. He pinned me down and dug his claws into my shoulder causing me to give a weak screech in pain.

I don’t want to die.
_________________________________________
1229 words.