Chapter 11: downtown

George POV.

Now I was walking through the streets of town, Dream was beside me, barely any space between us as my eyes darted up and down along the shop fronts. Even though it has been 10 years since I was last in an actual city, it looked exactly how I remembered it would.

All of the shops which lined both sides of the streets had large windows, each one displaying different products, shampoos and hair products, fresh baking, some newly published books, you name it. The doors were all propped open letting in the sunlight which was surprisingly warm for a Winter morning.

There were people walking around, all mostly demons. Holding the hands of young children, carrying their shopping between stores, chatting to their friends, it astonished me to think that they all lived normal human-like lives when I thought that they had a giant fortress where they lived or something. 

Another thing there were a lot of were humans, just like me all walking beside a demon who was most likely their master or owner, I was just glad that I had the latter of the 2.

The demon was watching me curiously the entire time, probably surprised with my reactions. Eventually he did speak up though, "so… what do you want Georgie?" He asked me.

I looked curiously up at him, "what do you mean?"

Dream chuckled slightly, "what do you want me to buy you George?" He asked. I thought it was some kind of rhetorical question, but the look in the demon's face was dead serious. 

"You don't have to buy me anything Dream, I'm perfectly fine." I replied, my eyes moving down to the pavement in front of me.

"But George, you're my human, I look after you, if you want clothes or anything really I'll get it for you." He seemed confused as to why I didn't seem eager to buy something, his brows were furrowed and his eyes glowed with wonder.

"I don't need clothes Dream, in fact, I don't need anything. I was perfectly fine with what I had before you found me." I responded, in a tone which made it clear that I didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Both the demon and I exhaled at the same time, and Dream eventually came up with a compromise, "look George… at least let me buy you 2 or 3 pairs of your own clothes. You don't have to choose but if I were you I would want a say in my own clothes."

"Yeah, just like I get a say in every other thing in my life," I muttered sarcastically.

Unfortunately, Dream heard, and let out a slight whine but he immediately covered it up.

After a while of walking we reached a shop, which Dream turned to go into, I reluctantly followed him and he led me over to a bunch of shelves with neatly folded clothes.

"What would you like George?" The demon asked, and my eyes travelled along down the rows of clothes.

I simply shrugged my shoulders. I don't even remember buying clothes before, but I would have done it at some point in my life. The demon's eyes were on me and he eventually signed. "Want me to choose for you George?" He asked, "or I could just buy you one of everything."

I shook my head, "you don't need to do that Dream. Just a plain shirt and some jeans will be fine."

The demon rolled his eyes and walked along the shelves, just grabbing several pairs of shirts and pants in his arms. Eventually he had a stack of a dozen different things and began leading me to a changing room near the back of the store. "Here," Dream said as he passed me the stack of clothes, "you can try all of these on, if you don't like them or they don't fit then hang them on that rack over there."

I nodded a thanks before heading into the changing room and trying on different combinations of the shirts and the pants. Most of them fitted and looked good so I folded them back up and returned the ones I didn't like to the rack.

Dream was waiting outside the door of the changing room and smiled at me when he saw me. "Did you choose some that you like?" he asked. The demon had arms crossed in front of him as he looked at the clothes in my hands.

"Yeah." I simply responded. I had chosen 5 shirts and 3 pairs of pants.

He took them from me before I could object and led me out of the changing rooms. It felt weird having the demon doing everything for me, but felt a lot easier than my life had been beforehand.

Eventually Dream paid for everything at the counter and the demon who was standing opposite us placed everything in a bag before attempting to hand it to me. Key word being attempted.

I guess more humans that came through here ended up being servants since that was her first instinct but she froze when she heard a growl coming from Dream. The blond reached out to take the bag but I grabbed it first, shooting him a look to silently tell him it wasn't a big deal.

Dream continued to glare at the woman as I just thanked her and tugged at his shirt a few times signalling for him to leave. After a moment the blond demon backed down and grabbed my hand, holding it tightly as we walked out of the store.

"What was that for?" I growled at Dream, shooting him a glare.
"What do you mean George?" His response was simple. "I would have thought you wouldn't have wanted her to treat you like a servant."
"I don't, but you were making a scene. It was drawing way too much attention."
The demon rolled his eyes, "so are you saying you only like a little amount of attention?" I hummed a yes and he sighed out, "that's too bad that you are gonna get way more than that from me."

I rolled my eyes, and Dream chuckled, "come on. You know I'd only give you attention, nobody else."
For some reason that made me flush. I was his pet, (even though that name didn't seem right to me).

"Yeah, fine. You can give me attention." The demon let out a satisfied purr as we continued walking down the road, moving closer to each other.
_________________________________________
1090 words.