Chapter 3: waking up

Start from the beginning

My eyes fluttered open to see a blurry room... I couldn't tell what it was exactly without my glasses on but it was definitely a room.

For a moment I wondered how I got here before I remembered. Demon's had found our cave and began chasing us. One of them caught me and he must have done something to make me fall asleep because I don't remember anything else after that.

Suddenly I saw some movement, it looked human but it's glowing eyes told me otherwise. It stood up slowly and took a step towards me. "Hi there," he spoke softly, talking to me as if I was a little kid as he slowly moved closer.

In response I shuffled backwards, along the bed that I was on.

The demon's eyes seemed to widen and he moved quicker as I shuffled back. "No wait!" His voice got louder and I immediately saw him cursing himself for doing that.

Before I could process anything I shuffled too far and fell off the bed, causing me to release a small groan of pain.

In an instant the demon was beside me and I was worried what he would do. But all of my guesses were proven wrong when he carefully lifted me up and sat me back on the bed. "Are you okay?" He asked in a soft voice, taking a step back so that he wasn't close enough for me to freak out.

"I think so." I responded quietly and hearing that seemed to relax him.

The demon moved around for a moment, grabbing something off of a set of drawers beside the bed and holding them out for me. Not knowing what it was I refused to touch it and the demon let out a patient sigh. "These are some glasses, the ones you had were almost broken. Figured you might want some new ones."

"Uhh, thanks." I took them and put them on, taking a few long seconds for my eyes to adjust. Sure enough, I was in a large bedroom, and I took a while to look around it before turning to the demon. He had spiky jet black hair that bounced slightly when he moved. A pair of black jeans and a blue hoodie were thrown on messily over his frame.

"Hi." He smiled again, now that I could see him, and I couldn't help but feel slightly at ease. Why? It's a demon. His people took over the world. His people are responsible for taking my parents from me and now they've taken Karl and George.

But he's not his people right? The smile he is giving me seems sincere.

"H-hi," I mumbled in response, before my face flushing red. I covered it with my hands and heard him chuckle.

"I'm Skeppy." The demon said with a slight smile, showing his fangs slightly when I looked back up at him.

"I'm Darryl," I responded quietly.

There was a silence in the room after that, I was unsure of what to say or do. Should I run? Should I try and kill the demon? Or should I just let whatever this is happen?

I didn't need to take a while trying to choose. Skeppy had an extremely strong build, and I doubt I could overpower him. The option of running doesn't seem like it will work either. Even if I could get out of the room without getting caught straight away I don't know where I am. I might be in the middle of a city overrun by demons and none of them may be as nice as Skeppy so far is.

"Why am I here?" I decided to ask, figuring I may as well stay here. My eyes met his for a moment before darting away. I didn't want to give him a reason to attack me, demon's are naturally stronger than humans and he could kill me in an instant. I took a deep breath before rewording my question, "why does your kind take mine?"

"Well." Skeppy sat down on the edge of the bed to explain, sitting a good distance away from me, "I don't know why exactly it started but demons take humans for different reasons... some as pets, some as... servants." The last option took longer for him to say and it caused my eyes to widen slightly.