A tale of knights and dragons

Start from the beginning

When the bowl was empty, Jason set it to the side and turned to look at Leslie, who'd returned to tending the fire. "Were you the one who saved me?" He asked, remembering intense blue eyes that had almost seemed to glow.

Leslie's laughter echoed through the small room. "Of course not dear," she said. "You think I could carry you a few miles up a mountain or that I could scare off some hungry wolves? No, if I'd been the one who found you we'd probably both be dead. It was Grayson that found you."

"Grayson?"

"Yes... he's never told us his first name, but he carried you into town and brought you to me. He even gave me a few coins to pay for my service. Not that I wouldn't have done it for free, anything for that sweet boy," Leslie said, handing Jason a refilled bowl.

"Could you tell me where he lives so that I might thank him?" Jason asked, taking the bowl and eagerly digging in again.

"No one in town knows where he lives, only that he comes down and helps us out once in a while," Leslie said. "He did say he'd want to see you when you awoke so perhaps he'll come by some time today."

Jason's heart jumped at the prospect of meeting the man who'd saved him.

A knock at the cottage's front door caught Jason's attention.

"Well I'll bet that's him right now," Leslie said, moving to open the door.

When Jason saw the man standing at the door his breath seemed to catch in his throat. He recognized those impossibly bright blue eyes. It was him... Grayson.

"Come in," Lesley said, grabbing Dick by the arm and nearly dragging him inside. "He just woke up a few minutes ago."

Dick offered Jason a hand to shake with a huge smile on his face. "Hi, my name's... umm, you can call me Grayson... What's your name?"

"I'm Jason."

"Well Jason, it's a pleasure to meet you," Dick replied cheerily.

"Uh, pleasure to meet you too... a-and thanks for rescuing me," Jason said slightly nervously.

"Oh, it's no problem. It's a pity I couldn't find your horse, but at least the wolves didn't get too much of you," Dick replied. "Soooo... what brought you to Blüdhaven?" He asked.

Jason shifted on the small cot he was sitting on. "Well I'm a knight, and I heard you had a dragon problem, so I came to slay the dragon," he said.

Dick stiffened slightly.

"Slay the dragon?" Leslie asked incredulously. "Not if us villagers have anything to say about it. Nightwing has never done anything to hurt anybody. In fact, he's the reason many of us are still alive. He takes care of the thieves and bandits and keeps our flocks safe. He even brings supplies like hay, berries, herbs, and sheep to those in the village who are struggling."

"Wait a minute, you have a name for this dragon?" Jason asked.

"Of course we do! The dragons have been helping Blüdhaven for as long as I've been alive, perhaps longer. It's only right to have a name for the guardian of the village," Leslie said firmly. "And if anyone has plans of killing him, they're going to have to go through me."

"Is this true Grayson? Does this Nightwing help the village?" Jason asked, turning to Dick who hadn't spoken since Jason had mentioned killing the dragon.

"I... I don't really live in the village, but as far as I know Nightwing tries to help," Dick said somewhat sheepishly.

Jason's brow furrowed. A dragon that helped people... that was definitely something new. "Well I suppose I have no reason to kill the dragon if it isn't hurting anyone," he said.