Calls, Lanterns and Flirts poorly timed

Start from the beginning

It had been awhile since she'd been the subject of such a stare.

"Hello. Is there something I can do for you?" If it was a question she'd be happy to answer it if it meant he left faster. The back of her mind was a ticking clock counting down. The buzzer was going to go off any minute. Best speed this along.

"Yes. I believe there is." He smiled at her in what was likely supposed to be a charming fashion.

Texas was not charmed. Instead the opposite effect occurred. Her discomfort rose as he rubbed a hand on her arm soothingly, as though trying to coerce her into relaxing. The fine hairs at the back of her neck rose in trepidation, though it was hardly for herself. The lack of calluses and the tailored suit marked him as more of a business man than a fighter. Someone she would have no trouble taking on with ease. Yet societal convention made making a scene a poor choice; Penguin Logistics was banned from enough establishments already.

"I'd appreciate it if you backed off." She tried keeping the snarl out of her voice. This touching would do no good. His hand was already at the crook of her arm, snagged as if trying to pull her in.

But he just smiled at her unwittingly, flicking his head slightly to get his bangs to fall back on his head as the look he gave morphed into a romantic smolder. Texas craned her head away as he leaned in closer.

"My name is Antonio. What's a pretty number like you doing by yourself?"

I've been here with my friends and girlfriend for over an hour at least. Are you so dense that you missed it? Those thoughts wanted to become fully fledged words. Sitting on the tip of her tongue, Texas barely restrained them as she turned halfway and took a few steps back. But Antonio was following her movements with that damned hand still latched at her arm like a needy child. The cool fingertips might as well have been burning stakes for all the discomfort they caused. She remembered all the suitors that came before in the early days, but once Lappland and she started dating their advances had disappeared one by one. And even then they always knew the limits. Never pressure a future alpha. Really, such a standard should be applied to all people on Terra. Making someone uncomfortable with your advances could only end badly.

"I'm not alone," Texas said in her deadpanned voice.

The timer was going off, yet where was she?

"Oh sure, sure," Antonio flapped his other hand, a poor attempt at conveying his belief in her words. "They must not be the smartest people, walking away from the most exquisite person in the room."

Texas sighed. "I'd appreciate it if you backed off."

But the guy was either a fool or stupid to no when to stop. Perhaps he just wasn't used to not getting his way? Regardless, he pressed on as though she was just another challenging woman who he would ensnare as a prize in this game of flirt and profusely reject.

"Now now, there's no need to be like that. Can you at least answer one question for me?"

She frowned. What kind of stupid question does he possibly have now in that idiotic head of his. The man's hair seemed oily the more she looked at it, but it was still a far better sight to keep track of than the lustful stare that only served to grow further discomfort. Some men did not know when to quit. And while that could be beneficial in certain instance . . .

This was not one of them.

"Go ahead." She spoke simply.

The smile became leering in its intensity. "Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?"

"No. But it sure will when I kick your ass to Hell."

Suddenly an arm was yanking her back. Texas sensed the familiar strength of it and let Lappland pull her away from the sweaty grip Antonio had on her. Silver eyes held a menacing aura about them as the white wolf stared down the tall fellow. When Lappland directed her gaze at Texas however, there was only concern.