Dick closed his mouth, surprised that Jason had snapped at him so viciously. "Ok," he said in a tiny voice.

When the doctor was done with the physical, the MA came in with a syringe in her hand.

For a split second, Dick was back with the court, chained down to a medical table, a man standing over him with a vial of glowing golden liquid...

A hand on Dick's arm brought him out of his flashback. It was Jason.

"Did you hear what she said?" Jason asked.

Dick shook his head no.

"She wants you to lift your sleeve so she can give you the shot," Jason said.

"R-Right..." Dick trailed off, lifting his sleeve. He started taking deep calming breaths, trying to do what he could to calm his PTSD, and the tactics he was using worked... Until the MA came towards him with the prepared syringe in hand.

Dick started hyperventilating as soon as he saw the needle. He could vaguely hear Jason saying something about him being afraid of shots, but the MA's response was drowned out by his own internal mantra of 'you're not there' repeated over and over in his mind. He suddenly felt arms around him, holding him tightly. When he looked down instead of Jason's strong calloused hands, he saw black gloves with long golden claws.

Jason held onto Dick as he struggled, pinning his arms and legs to prevent him from moving too much.

Dick cried out weakly as the flu shot was injected into his arm, feeling a phantom sensation like fire racing through his veins.

Once the nurse was safely away, Jason released Dick, watching as he fell off the exam table and huddled in the corner of the room.

Dick blinked a few times, his breathing hitching slightly as the bright lights and stark white walls he'd envisioned faded back to the warm grey walls of the exam room. He turned his tear filled eyes back to Jason, his lip trembling.

Jason quickly knelt by Dick's side, scooping him into his arms and letting him cry into his shoulder.

"Is he alright?" the MA asked.

Jason nodded. "He has some pretty bad PTSD, and I think the needle might've triggered it," he said.

The MA nodded understandingly. "I'll give you two a moment in here alone, but out of respect for our other patients I ask that you don't stay in here too long."

Dick refused to look Jason in the eye the entire way home, staring at either his hands or out the window.

When they were back inside of their apartment, Jason finally dared to ask the question that had been on his mind for the entire ride home. "Dick. What happened that caused you to be so afraid of needles?" He asked, sitting next to Dick on the couch and resting a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"I don't want to talk about it..." Dick whispered, shivering slightly at the thought of the court.

"Fine. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," Jason said gently, standing up to go make something for their dinner.

"Wait!" Dick shouted, grabbing onto Jason's arm and looking on the verge of panic. "D-don't leave me," he whimpered.

Jason looked down at Dick's panicked face, wondering what had happened to make him act like this. "I'm just going to make dinner Dickie... You can come too if you want," he said.

Dick nodded and followed him into the kitchen, still not releasing his hold on Jason's arm.

Jason awoke to Dick screaming and thrashing in bed next to him. He quickly got up and started shaking Dick's shoulder, trying to wake him.

Dick's eyes flew open and he immediately threw himself into Jason's arms, sobbing even more intensely than he had at the doctor's office.

Jason rubbed Dick's back gently and whispered soothing words.

Dick's sobs eventually turned to sniffles, which eventually faded into normal breathing.

After a while of sitting in silence Dick took a steadying breath. "Jay..." he said hesitantly. "I'm ready to tell you about what the court did to me."

Jason had to keep himself from exploding into a fit of rage when he heard everything the court had put Dick through. But that wasn't what Dick needed, so he simply continued to hold his boyfriend close, his arms encircling him protectively.

"It was really brave of you to get that shot today Dickiebird," Jason whispered into Dick's ear after a few moments of silence.

There was no response other than the continuation of Dick's deep and even breaths. That's when Jason realized that Dick had fallen asleep.

A smile grew on Jason's face as he laid down again, keeping Dick wrapped in his arms.

Jason placed a gentle kiss on Dick's forehead. "I'll always be here for you Dickie," he whispered, and whether Dick could hear it or not, it was true. Jason would always be there for his Dickiebird.