Bruce walked into the office of Gotham Academy, hoping his sons hadn't done something stupid.

"Mr Wayne, right this way," a friendly woman said, directing Bruce into the principal's office.

Dick and Jason were sitting in chairs about 6 feet apart from each other, and they were two very different sights.

Dick was slouching in his chair with a blood-soaked rag pressed to his nose. His shoulders shook slightly, and his gaze was fixed on the floor.

Jason on the other hand, was staring straight at Bruce with his arms folded over his chest, and a glare plastered onto his face, one that might have been just the tiniest bit smug.

Bruce sat in the seat between the two boys and fixed his gaze on the principal.

"I'm so sorry to bother you Mr. Wayne, but your two boys were fighting each other in the hallway, and as you know, that is strictly not allowed," the burly man said, almost looking apologetic. "I have decided to give Richard one week of suspension, and Jason two weeks, since he seriously injured another student."

"What?!" Jason shouted. "Dick started it! He threw the first punch!"

Dick seemed to curl in on himself as Jason's shouts made his head throb where it had smacked against the wall.

Bruce fixed Jason with a cold glare. "I'm sure you did something to warrant that hit Jason, so I suggest you close your mouth," Bruce growled.

Dick flinched when he remembered some of the things Jason had been saying to him.

"Thank you for your time sir," Bruce said to the principal, standing and giving him one of his practiced smiles. "I will make sure nothing like this happens again." Bruce turned and led the way out of the office and to his car.

"You two better have an excellent explanation for what happened to call me here in the first place," Bruce said when they were finally settled in the car.

Dick sat silently in the back of the car, eyes trained on the ground.

Seeing that Dick wasn't planning on talking, Jason decided to tell Bruce a version that would get him in less trouble than the truth would. "Well," he started. "Dick just came up to me in the hall and started hitting me, so of course I had to defend myself."

"Is this true Dick?" Bruce asked, seriously doubting the story Jason had spun.

Dick remained silent.

Bruce glanced at him through the car's rear view mirror. "Dick. Answer me please," he said.

The only answer Bruce received was a shaky breath from Dick.

"Well," Bruce said. "If that's true, then Dick, you'll be off patrol for a week." He glanced back in the mirror again, hoping to see some sort of reaction, but was met with the same scene as the one he'd seen in the principal's office.

Jason came back from patrol early that night. He grumbled as he changed and clomped up the stairs. Bruce had told him to go home and apologize for punching Dick.

"Ugh, he said he was fine. It was just a little nose bleed..." Jason muttered under his breath as he made his way up to Dick's room.

Before he went into Dick's room, Jason stopped at the door and listened. He could've sworn he heard someone crying...

Jason opened the door as quietly as he could and slipped inside the room.

Dick was facing away from him on his bed. His shirt was off, and almost every inch of skin was covered with dark bruises. There were too many to just be from patrol, even from patrol and his fight with Jason.