Elphie

I fluff the pillows, smooth the blankets and open the window just a crack.
Then, I turn to my sister.
She doesn't look well.
I didn't mention it out loud for fear of upsetting her further, me being here is pushing her trust, I know that, but if it means that she's properly taken care of then I don't care at all.
Angry now, better quicker.
Nessa looks awful, her eyes have dark circles surrounding them, her skin seems grey and she just sounds defeated.
I step towards her but to my surprise she violently pushes herself backwards.
"Nessa?"
She furrows her brow.
"I don't want to go to bed!" She spits harshly "you have some nerve showing up here."
Nessa sounds angry but she looks hurt.
I take a step away from her.
My ultimate goal here is to get her into bed, but I won't do it if she down right refuses.
"Elphaba I'm serious, I'm not going into bed." She looks at me ferociously.
"Nessa but your not well."
She looks like she's going to cry but she hasn't yet.
"I'm always getting sick, I'm paying for mistakes that people made twenty years ago!" She barks, "I know I still look eighteen but I'm not a child anymore."
I take another step back.

Nessa looks exhausted.
"Ness are you sure that you don't want to lie down?"
She shakes her head.
"I was perfectly happy being on the sofa."
I can't listen to her, I know that being in bed will help, being near an open window and hopefully getting some sleep.
"I didn't ask for you to be here." Nessa says aggressively "I was handling everything fine and you just came and ruined it."
I fold my arms and stare at my sister.
"Don't even give me that look, your not my parent, you don't get to give me a condescending look."
Nessa slowly turns her chair around to face the door.
I feel awful, it's taking so much effort for her to do that and the doors shut, I don't know why her door stop isn't in.
Nessa looks angrily at the closed door, knowing she can't open it without my aid.

She screams loudly, I wince at sheer pain in her voice.
I do hope no staff or students heard that for her sake.
I rush over to her chair though it's facing away from me, Nessa is breathing almost too heavily.
I stare at the back of her chair and wait for her to turn around.
"Don't say anything." She whispers tearfully, "I know that was pathetic, I can't complain at you for treating me like a child if I scream at a closed door."
I hesitantly turn her chair around so she's facing me.
"I give up Elphaba, just put me in bed."
She sounds so hurt but I eagerly oblige.

Once she's in bed she stares at me with hate and relief.
I walk over to her door and find where the door stop has gotten to.
Carefully I prop the door open.
I turn back to talk to Nessa but she's already asleep.
I smile cheerfully to myself and venture back into the lounge to painfully greet Boc.
Mother stands up suddenly.
"I heard a scream!" She exclaims "what happened, is everything okay?"
I hold her by her trembling shoulders, Boc rolls his eyes.
"The door shut." I mutter, "and Nessa couldn't get out."
Mother looks confused,
"The door shut?"
I nod slowly, trying to make sure mother's understanding me.
"Nessarose can open the doors,they're too heavy she needs both arms but then she can't move out of the way of the door."
Boc says flatly, stealing the words from my mouth.
Mother looks sad all of a sudden and she starts to shake all the more violently.
"Melena?" Bocs calls, sounding nervous.
Mother suddenly sits down on the armchair.
She looks all pale and flustered, mother starts to fan herself with her hand.

"I'll go and get you a drink." Boc says, marching out of the room.
I kneel down in front of the arm chair, mother looks down at me but doesn't quite meet my eyes.
Just at that moment, Boc comes back in and hands my mother a glass of water.
They both exchange pleasantries and mother sips the drink, I take it from her once she's done and place it onto the table beside me.
"Mum are you alright?" I ask slowly, trying not to break eye contact.
Mother dips her head.
"Poor little Nessarose." She whispers, I can almost hear her heart break.
Boc huffs.
I turn to him and scowl.
"Boc what is your problem today!" I bark suddenly, I don't even realise I'm doing it but my face feels like it's burning with anger.
"Honestly" boc says rolling his eyes "Nessa didn't want you to come but you came, that's not fair on her."
I turn my head away from him, knowing that he's right.
"Since when did you become so protective of Nessa?" I growl.
Boc laughs,
"Because I'm a good friend, I care about her and what you did broke her trust and that's not okay."

Mother hasn't weighed in, probably because she agrees with Boc.
I agree with Boc.
I just don't want to admit it.
"We can deal with this later, now we're hear for Nessa."
Boc nods, I nod and mother's nodding.
Boc looks out towards the door.
"Is she okay?" Mother asks suddenly alert.
"She's alright." I say uneasily, "she didn't seem too upset."
Mother shuffles around in her  seat, almost as if she's trying to get to the doorway.
"How long are you going to stay for?" Boc asks suddenly being harsh again "you've got her into bed."
I glare at him once again.
"Till I know she's okay."
Mother stands up suddenly.
"I have to go and see her." She cries, rushing out the door.
Now it's just me, Boc and an uncomfortable silence.
"Enjoying Nessas job?" I ask bitterly.
"As a matter of fact. I am."