Elphie

"The surgery went well." Doctor Tip announces, clasping her hands together by the base of her hips. "Miss Nessarose is still asleep and could wake at any moment. She will be quite drowsy so it's best not to overwhelm her with noise. She's not to be taken out of bed for a week and she's not to move herself."
I nod eagerly in response, I'm desperate to see my sister, it's such a horribly helpless feeling, knowing that she was in surgery and there was nothing I could do.
We've been informed that Nessa is still to be watched like a hawk and isn't to be left alone at any time, we argued over a rotor but we finally agreed that I could take the first shift.

It is my hope, that I'll be able to allow marigold to go off and sleep for a bit, because Oz knows she needs it, and I can sit by my sister till she wakes up.
I'm supposed to send for Boc when Nessa wakes but I've made the internal decision not to do that and instead wait for a few minutes with my sister before thrusting her off onto someone else.
Tip look behind her towards Nessas door and seems to let her thoughts travel away to somewhere distant.
Tip turns back to glance at me.
"you can come in and see her if you like."
I eagerly agree before Tip can say anything else.

As we walk through the door top whispers to me that I'm not to wake my sister as we're trying to let her sleep for as long as possible.
A tired figure is laid out on the bed, her eyes have dark circles around them and her limbs appear to fall limply by her sides.
Though she breathes steadily and at common intervals, the whole movement seems too mechanical and not simple and automatic.
Marigold is leant over my sisters bed, she grins at me sweetly when my footsteps catch her attention.
"It may not sound like it, but Miss Nessarose's breathing has come along way since the carriage ride back to here." Marigold mutters cheerfully to me, it's hard to comprehend what she's said as it's in such a hushed tone but after replaying her words a few times, I'm able to decipher them.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" I question quietly, I'm not really facing anyone so I'm unsure as to who I've actually phrased the question towards.
"About another hour or so." Tip replies knowledgeably "just leve her eminence alone for a while so she can sleep off most of the drowsiness before she converse."
The next week or so us going to be unusual to say the least, I'm unsure how Nessa is going to react to everything and I'm uncertain with how I'm going to be able to maintain my composure.

The bed creaks and my sister lets out a faint groaning sound.
Marigold and Tip exchange looks of panic amongst each other as they rush over to me beside my sister.
Both tip and marigold hesitate to speak at first, incase nessa isn't fully awake, but soon she winces painfully and drags her eyes open.
"Ma'am?" Marigold whispers, she's barely audible but I commend her hesitation.
Nessa lets out an incomprehensible mutter of sounds and Tip and marigold once again exchange a worried glance.
I'm starting to have the same anxious expression on my face, but no one if looking at me to reassure me that it's all alright.
"Miss Nessarose, how are you feeling?" Tip asks calmly, finally string together a proper sentence.

"Stiff." My sister remarks, she looks downs the end of her bed at me standing awkwardly by the door to her room.
"How long was I gone for Elphaba?" She questions formally.
She's putting on her leader voice for some reason.
It takes me a while to respond because what was seemingly only a few hours felt like days.
"Around six hours I think." I reply at last.
Nessa stays silent.
The silence in the room is soon thankfully interrupted by Tip being Doctor-ly.
"Miss Nessarose, you mention feeling stiff, could you elaborate for me?"
My sister sighs deeply but gives in to the anxious faces of Tip and marigold.
"Like I'm locked in, my waist feels pulled tightly."
Tip nods attentively.
"That will be from the stitches, the tightness should leave in a few days."
Nessa turns her head towards her nurse, seemingly irritated with Tip and her common sense.
"At what point do I get out of bed?" She asks bluntly.
Marigold chuckles nervously.
"Give it at least 5 days." Marigold replies "we've got to make sure that the stitches heal nicely first."

Nessarose sighs sadly and stares up at the ceiling, breathing slowly, suppressing an immense amount of anger.
Marigold and Tip turn to eachother and mutter something inaudible.
They then approach me slowly.
"We'll give you some time alone." Tip whispers, her eyes flicker anxiously between my sister and I. "Don't let her move herself. And it's too early for her eminence to be out of bed."
I nod, understanding the implications as best as I can, and soon I'm left alone with my sister.
Nessa is still starring at the ceiling, I've began to worry.
"Nessa-"
"Five minutes!" My sister snaps, catching me off guard "I need five minutes to breathe. Please."
I'm afraid to respond.
This is ridiculous, I shouldn't be scared to speak to my sister.
A part of me wants to cave and go out to fetch Boc, but I'm determined to have a good conversation with my sister.

After giving my sister an overly generous 'five minutes' I sit myself down by the side of her bed and watch over her gently.
Nessa looks at me unamused.
"Elphaba you don't have to sit here and watch me." Nessa whispers "I'm not all that interesting right now."
I stop myself from speaking and just let my sister have another moments rest.
I just don't want to let Boc in.