Elphie

Fiyero sits in front of me, a glass of water, held loosely in his hand.
I long to tell him that he should be more careful of it, but I don't.
Albert is sat on the floor, unusual for him as he almost always resides in our arm chair.
Mother is loitering in the doorway, but she keeps poking her head out of the room to gaze upstairs.
Where, Glinda and Boc are trudging around noisily.

There's an odd kind of silence in the room, you feel as though someone aught to speak but you don't want to be the one to do it.
"Glinda," mother suddenly shouts upstairs, taking us all by surprise "do you need any help up there?"
I muffled response of no can be heard, I smile to myself, then grow curious as to what Glinda and Boc could possibly need help with.
"Fiyero, hows the gardening been?" Albert asks, chuckling heartily.
"Been alright, though I hope it rains soon." Fiyero says glumly "a good bit of natural water is just what they need."
"Fiyero says once his tomato's are ready he'll make us all soup," I say proudly, Fiyero grins lovingly at me.
"That sounds tasty," mother says sweetly, stepping away from the doorway and into the lounge.
She takes a seat beside Albert on the floor.
"I suppose someone will have to take Nessarose some soup so she doesn't miss out," mother chirps, gazing at me fondly "or we could all have a family meal around here." She suggests.
I smile at the idea of a large family dinner, but I know that now Nessas had the all clear from the doctor, she will rarely visit.
It's almost like she feels she needs to prove something to us, when that's simply not the case.

Another reason why I want to do the communication spell again and give Frex an earful.
Nessas Empty wooden chair that I can see out in the hallway is a constant reminder that she's not at home.
I'd long to put it up in our childhood bedroom, but I'm too afraid to ask for help moving it.
I darn't touch it, for fear of damaging it.
I know I wouldn't but that chair is almost like a piece of her.
"So everyone likes that idea then?" Mother asks loudly, I look up upon hearing the question.
"Family dinner,"
Fiyero smiles at me, I attempt to return it.
"A family tomato soup evening!" He choruses.

There's commotion out in the hallway, I stand up suddenly and make my way out.
Boc is stood by the front door, Glinda beside him, a key in her hands.
Boc has a large leather suitcase in his hand.
It's almost overflowing with clothes and whatever it's other contents may be.
"Boc?" I question "where are you going?"
"Out," he replies uncertainly, he flashes a glance at Glinda as if asking for help from her.
"With a suitcase?" I'm growing more suspicious, me and Boc rarely see eye to eye.
"Elphaba, regardless of what you say I'm still going to go." Boc replies harshly.
I feel a bit hurt, admittedly I'm a bit annoyed that he's not telling me where he's off to.
"Going to go where?"
Boc glances at Glinda again, she coughs daintily and steps towards the door, she turns the key in the lock and walks toward me.
"Boc is going to visit Nessa," she says anxiously "he hopes to stay for a while."

I nod my head slowly and force a smile, knowing that if I say something it will undoubtedly be of an unkind or selfish nature.
So I smile and nod and leave the hallway.
A few seconds later Glinda rushes in and tediously pulls me back out into the hallway.
She looks awkward and barley glances into my eyes.
"Please don't be angry with him Elphie," Glinda pleads, she clutches my hand in hers but I quickly pull them away.
"Why does he have to go?" I demand "she's happy!"
Glinda looks deeply into my eyes, her own blue ones sparkling beautifully.
"Because he wants to, not everything here has to be on a schedule."
I feel like a toddler, I'm angry because Boc will likely be invited in, if I went over I'd be turned away and met with rudeness and lack of interest.

"Elphie, what's wrong?"
I stare past Glinda at Nessas wooden chair in the hallway, it's just empty.
Hollow, incomplete, lacking: those are all things that I feel as I gaze upon the worn down wood.
I think of the years and years that she spent in that chair, the way her eyes lit up when she was first placed in it.
The way she excitedly thanked Frex and how the carpenter smiled as she called it perfect.
I remember how Nessa cried when she realised that the chair was much too big for her tiny little body, she sat and howled as her arms wouldn't reach the wheels.
How exited she was when we first took her out in it.

It feels like I've lost all of that, Nessa changed as she grew up.
She became hateful and distant, because everyone around her slowly left.
I blame myself for her uncertainty because it is my fault.
I should have never left her to go and see the Wizard.
My father.
My real father.
"Elphie?" Glindas voice shakes me out of my thoughts.
"I miss her." I whisper "I lied I don't want her to have a job, I want her to be here with me!"
I start to cry, Glinda tries to hold me tightly, but I rush towards Nessas chair.
I kneel down on to the floor and place my hands on the smooth wood.
Glinda slowly slides her hand upon my back.
"Elphaba it's okay, we all miss her."
"I'm so horrible, she loves her job and all I want her to do is quit it and come home, I don't get it." I sniff horribly.
Glinda sits beside me on the floor.
She strokes the chair next to my hand.
"Tell me about it, tell me about her."
"You know lots, I don't know what you want me to say." I reply confused.
Glinda smiles softly and leans her head on my shoulder.
"Tell me again."