Nessa

"Nessa."
A faint whispers echos in my ear, I don't have time to register who's it is before I open my eyes, Bocs face stares down at me giving me such a fright that I start to cry.
Hastily, and with trembling hands, I prise myself upright so that I can lean against the mass amounts of pillows on the headboard of this bed.
"Why is he here?" I question Glinda, as I'm sure this is my sisters doing and I don't wish to speak to her directly.
"Because he cares about you." Glinda whispers hesitantly.
I'm absolutely furious at everyone around me.
I'm just so tired after what happened in the throne room that I barley have the energy to lie somewhat propped up.
"And he just what? Sensed that I was in trouble and came right to me rescue?" I bark feebly. "Because the last time I checked, the only people here plagued with other worldly gifts are Elphaba and myself."
My stomach turns at the word gifts, because no part of what is now inside of me feels like a gift, it's a curse, it's a punishment for dying a second time in a day and being brought back.
"Nessa are you not happy to see him?" Glinda enquires softly, her voice like candy floss, melting and sticking to my ears.

I don't have the energy left to be angry and sat up so I let my arms give way beneath me and I collapse into the heap of pillows behind my back.
Boc lurches forward to attempt some sort of unwarranted rescue mission on me, but I stop him hastily.
"I'm fine." I snap, taking a deep and shaky breath "please just leave me be."
Boc is hesitant to leave me side at first but with some anxiety filled glances from my sister and Glinda, he soon moves away form my bed and out of my view.
I close my eyes for a brief moment just to stop the light from ravaging my retinas and making me cry any more than I already feel like doing.

After a while, I'm convinced that I'm alone and I let myself cry, loud, painful sobs of pure anger.
I hate myself for what I have become and I hate everyone else for letting me become it.
Just as I think I've finally been gifted some time to be alone, the familiar voice of Celeste calls out from the other side of the room.
"Are you quite alright Madame Governor?"she asks meekly. "You sound awfully upset, is there something I can do?
I swallow my tears, and some of my pride before attempting to answer slightly.
"I'm fine, thank you for your concern ." I mutter in response.
I close my eyes again until Celeste's voice
quickly disturbs my peace.
"Now I don't mean to call you a lair Madame Governor and please don't take offence, but I feel that your not okay." Celeste comments fearfully, poor thing, I can hear her voice shaking.

I can't remember if her voice did that before I tore up the throne room.
"Aren't there usually two of you?" I question suddenly "where's the little brunette one?"
Celeste chuckles to herself.
"Oh Rebecca!" She cries merrily "she's probably somewhere around here."
I sigh deeply.
"Is she hiding from me? Is mayor Franklin hiding from me?"
Celeste scurries into view finally and sits down beside my bed, blatantly avoiding eye contact with me.
"Rebecca and I were both instructed to leave you alone until you got adequate rest but I didn't want to leave you alone." Celeste responds. "Rebecca is one to follow Mayor Franklin's rules, but I get more argumentative."
I find this girls honesty rather charming.
"How do you know Rebecca then?" I croak, "just from being colleagues?"
Celeste laughs heartily, her tight blonde curls shaking with the motion.
"She's my sister." Celeste replies "my twin intact but we're non-identical, if you couldn't tell."

I sigh deeply and ponder what the competitive side of the job must be like against your own sister.
"I must apologise Madame Governor for my sister earlier, she can be quite careless with her touch sometimes, we did warn her about being gentle with you."
I toy for a second about whether or not to correct this girl on how fragile I actually am but I think better of it, the more pathetic they think I am, the better allies they will become when I actually commence governing properly.
"Many people struggle with the concept of my fragility." I reply truthfully "because it's not something I try to advertise."
Celeste nods her head, still avoiding eye contact with me.
"That makes perfect sense Madame Governor."

After a few short minutes the door opens slowly and hesitant footsteps follow.
"Cel, mayor franklin said not to trouble the governess." A shrill voice hisses.
"She was all alone Becca." Celeste replies stubbornly.
I smile to myself and prepare to scare this poor girl gormless.
"I can assure you that she's been no trouble at all." I comment truthfully.
Rebecca gasps loudly.
"Forgive me Madame Governor, I didnt know that you'd be awake so soon." Rebecca cries frantically, "I hope your feeling okay."
I can just about see Celestes smugness one her face.
"Where is Franklin?" Celeste questions.
Becca looks uneasily towards the door.
"He's talking to a young man at the moment who says he's affiliated with the Governess, but he wishes to enter and speak to you himself Madame Governor." Rebecca answers shakily.
I know exactly who he's taking to, it must be Boc, there's not a single shred of doubt in my mind.
"If your not up to speak with franklin yet, I can have Rebecca tell him that you wish to be left alone for a while longer." Celeste mutters, finally turning her head to gaze upon me.
I take note on how her curls frame her angular face.
Rebeccas face isn't as angular, with less harsh lines and much rounder features.
"If Mayor franklin wishes to speak to me he's more than welcome to do so." I reply "I may not be able to help him with what it is he wants however."
"Oh but Madame Governor," Rebecca stammers "it's entirely up to you, I wouldn't want to fatigue you too much."
"I don't think I could get any more tired if I tired." I chuckle emptily to myself.
Rebecca and Celeste both look terribly concerned, though I'm far more anxious about what Boc is telling Mayor Franklin.