Elphie

"Gone? What do you mean Glinda's gone?" The words tremble out of my sisters mouth.
She looks confused and hurt.
I come to Shiz to tell her myself, I'd rather it come from me than she visit Munchkin Land and Glinda not be there.
"She's decided that she needs to tend to the people of Oz, she will come back, she just doesn't know when."
Nessarose pauses, analysing what I've said, I'm happy to notice that her arm seems to be better.

After a while Nessa sighs deeply and leans her head in her arms.
Boc appears from the doorway to the lounge.
He looks over at Nessa, then turns his head to me.
I open my mouth to explain but he nods and mouths the words: I heard.
I'm a bit pressed that he can hear us but I'm not really bothered.
All of a sudden Nessa whips her head up.
She doesn't seem started at Boc sudden entrance, instead she seems relived.
"Boc how was your poetry class?" She asks.
Boc jolts slightly, he fumbles around for his words.
"It was pleasant, the students have made good progress." Boc pauses and looks at me uneasily. "Nessa would you like me to fetch your tea?"

Nessa smiles and nods.
I think Boc knows, I think Boc knows what was in the spell.
And for some inexplicable reason, he's not angry.
Actually I know why he's not because he loves her.
Boc leaves the room and returns moments later with a cup of steaming tea.
I watch, analysing every second, as my sister (in full view of Boc) pulls out one of those heart shaped sugar cubes and crumbles it up into her tea.
Nessa tilts her head in a strange manor and Boc abruptly exits her office and leaves for the hallway that takes you to the classrooms.

Nessa takes a sip of her tea, I watch as her eyes seem to dull, her whole demeanour seems to dampen.
She seems less vibrant.
"Nessa." I say bluntly, she looks up at me slowly taking her eyes off of her work.
"Nessa what does the spell do?"
Nessa freezes.
"It doesn't matter." She mutters hurriedly.
"Nessa it's obvious that Boc knows, so why can't I?" I pry, regrettably testing her patience.
"Nessa glares at me, her stare cold and empty, then she cracks and crys.
"Because I'm ashamed!" She wails "it's embarrassing and wrong."
Now I'm the one who's scared, what could it possibly be?
"Nessa..." I say slowly.
"It's like an anti-love potion," she sobs "it stops me from feeling love."
"I'm general or romantically?"
Nessa looks up at me, shock covering her face.
"Romantic of course, I'm not a monster." She replies hastily "though it doesn't change the fact that he's helping me take it."

I can't quite process what she's telling me.
"Why's he helping you?"
"Because he's stupid." Nessa whimpers "I don't understand how he could love me after what I did."
I don't know what to say, I don't know if I should be angry or not.
I see no reason why I should be.
"Ness are you happy?" I question hesitantly, Nessa shrugs her shoulders.
She tilts her head to the side.
"No," she sighs, then suddenly rambles "but who is? Who can confidently say that they're one hundred percent happy?"
"Nessa, is there anything I can do to help?"
She look up at me, smiles softly and shakes her head.
"Thank you anyway," she whispers, "Elphaba are you going to be okay without Glinda?"

I pause for a moment, I can hear a loud voice approaching Nessas office door, then a loud knock.
She looks at me wide eyed and I hide in her lounge.
Peering through a slight crack in the door.
"Come in." Nessa commands as her office door opens.
I watch as a teacher strides in, followed by a visibly stressed boy, carrying a large canvas that's facing the wrong way.
The teacher is wearing a large art smock that's covered in various splatters of paint.
She stands to one side of the room, thankfully not the side of the door I'm behind, and the boy approaches Nessas desk.
Amazingly, I think this is the first time I've seen Nessa with a student.
"Mrs Flinyer, how may I help you?" Nessa says rather regally.
The teacher, I'm assuming to be Mrs Flnyer, clears her throat and pats the boy on the back.
"Dylan Graysmorth has produced a marvellous piece of artwork and I wanted your opinion of it." Mrs Flyner grins at Dylan, who looks rather nervous.

I hear Nessa tap her hands against the table, I can't really see her as she's out of my vision, but I watch as the boy tightens his grasp of his canvas.
"What was the stimulus?" Nessa inquires.
She sounds so formal.
Dylan remains silent.
"Interpretation of real life." Mrs Flinyer replies eagerly "can he show you?"
Nessa sighs loudly.
"Of course." She replies.
Dylan turns the canvas to face Nessa, she gasps excitedly, I'm unfortunately unable to see the painting.
"You must leave that here with me," she cries "that's astounding."
Dylan grins widely, and leans the painting against Nessas desk on the floor.
"It's a picture of you Miss." Dylan says suddenly sounding quite shy.
"I'm very flattered master Graysmorth." Nessa reply's "it's a beautiful interpretation. You and Mrs Flinyer head back to class and I'll think of a place to display it."

Both party's leave the room and Nessa calls for me to come back in.
"Have you seen this?" She asks, pointing to the foot of her desk. "It's truly magnificent.
I shake my head and go to look at it.
She right, it's a wonderful picture and very creative.
"Can you put it on the chair?" Nessa asks sounding like an exited school girl "I want to be able to see it."
Nessa shakes her head around merrily.
I've not seen her this exited in a while.
It's truly lovely.