Nessa

"Nessarose!" My sister barges into my room, startling me substantially.
I peer at her from my bed as she hands her suitcase to Glinda who sets it down gently.
"How's Boq?" I ask anxiously.
Elphabas eyes suddenly widen.
"I didn't take him." She whispers shakily.
Her carelessness fills me with rage.
"What?" I gasp, a shockwave is sent through the room and everyone rocks where they stand.
Marigold places a hand on my shoulder to try and calm me down but it does little to help.
"For Oz's sake Elphaba!" I cry defeatedly.
Glinda takes a step towards me and smiles delicately.
"I can go check on him if you would like."
"Yes. Please!" I huff.

Glinda dashes off and from behind my sister, a familiar face creeps out.
"Nessarose." My mother mutters.
My heart begins to sink, I'm not sure I can handle seeing my mother.
"My dear, sweet Nessarose." My mother approaches quickly and she wraps her arms around me tightly, the bed creaks with her sudden added weight.
Finally mother lets go and sinks into a chair across from me.
I glare angrily at my sister, who avoids looking directly at me.
"Are you well, mother?" I ask formally, whilst maintaining eye contact with my sister.
"I've missed you Nessarose." My mother replies sadly.
There's a horrible desperation is her voice that can only be described as depressingly pitiful and it's making me cry.
I turn to look at Marigold, hoping that my mother won't see me cry.
"Nessa, mothers been really worried about you." Elphaba mentions hesitantly.
I feel my entire body recoil at her statement.
I know that.
Of course I know that, she's my mother, I wouldn't do this intentionally.
"I'm sorry, mother." I whisper softly, I don't have the same feelings towards my mother as I did my father, as much as I longed for her as a child, now I have her and not my father all I want is him.
My father could teach me how to rule and show me what I'm doing right and wrong.

"I hope you've been well too Nessarose." Mother whispers shakily.
I take a deep breath and swallow my tears, turning to my mother and smiling I begin attempting to make her feel better.
She looks terribly tired and awfully confused.
"Nessarose, I'm sorry but who is this woman?" Mother asks sounding in a daze, staring blankly at Marigold.
I notice a strange sort of a smile of my sisters face.
"She's my nurse, mother" I reply sharply.
I'm attempting to stunt all my speech with my mother and trying not to talk for too long, I'm going to have to asked her to leave at some point and I don't want her getting too attached.
I'm going to have to asked everyone but Marigold to leave at some point.
After a whole, Glinda pops back inside.
"How is he?" I splutter frantically, leaning forwards hurriedly.
Marigold has to place a protective hand upon my shoulder to stop me from accidentally doubling over in my bed.
"He's alright Nessa." Glinda responds calmly "he said that he's going to separate himself from you for a couple more days just to be on the safe side."
I nod and smile merrily but I secretly want him to just come and see me so I can know that he's alright.

"Nessarose dear." Mother calls, I turn to her "if you've got a nurse here then where's doctor Tip?" She asks pleasantly.
The question in itself is innocent but it just reminds me of how unnecessarily cruel I was to poor doctor Tip.
I can be truly vile sometimes and I hate it.
"She's not here." I mumble in response.
"Would I be alright to take you for a walk Nessarose?" Mother asks.
The question is so unusual that I have to take a moment to process it.
We're in the Emerald city, not exactly the Boulevard.
Though I'll admit the sights are beautiful.
"I suppose so mother." I reply, her eyes light up like candles.
"Nessa doctor tip said you've got to try to stay in bed for a few days." My sister cries suddenly.
I scowl angrily.
"Doctor tip isn't here." I bark, turning to my nurse, intent on asking her to transfer me to my chair.
"Nessa I do feel you should take it a little easy." Glinda mumbles hesitantly.
I sigh deeply, immensely irritated by her siding with my sister.
"You're meeting with the leaders of Oz in a few days." Glinda reminds me.
"If your not feeling particularly well then we don't have to my dear." Mother responds sadly.
I shake my head and raise my hand, silencing and already quite room.
"No mother I'm fine, I'm not unwell." I reply angrily.
My sister steps towards me, an anxious look on her face.
I turn to marigold, quickly getting myself worked in to a state.
"I think that it is best if you have a lie down, just for today." Marigold whispers.

I nod sadly, sighing deeply and willing myself not to cry.
I hate the way I'm being treated.
Like I'm make of China.
I'm not.
I'm perfectly capable of knowing my limits.
"Why did you listen to her?" My sister suddenly cries, "Nessa why do you listen to her and not me?"
"Elphaba don't do this-" Glinda begins, immediately getting cut off.
"No no, I have to do this!" She barks "because Nessarose doesn't ever listen to me but as soon as this sweet old lady comes in, it's like she's the Nessarose whisperer. She's not your mother Nessa!"
I'm quickly losing my temper but in a feeble attempt to remain regal, I don't shout immediately.
"I know that Elphaba."
"Then why? Why do you choose to ignore me and fight with me instead of just admitting that I know how to take care of you too?" My sister shrieks.
"That's enough, Elphaba" Glinda cries, hurriedly throwing a hand onto my sisters shoulder.
But Elphaba continues to shout.