Nessa

A thin line of light stretches through the window behind my head and fills the room, finally giving me time to analyse it.
Everything is so white and shiny, everything except a thin band of green that's lining the walls.
I must be somewhere near the emerald City, I know I'm in hospital but my head feels so groggy that I'm far to dazed to try and know anything else.
I can't turn my neck too much so I'm unsure if I'm alone in the room, I hope I'm not.
There's a thin green knitted blanket over my legs and half of my chest, my arms lay feebly on top of it.

I go to close my eyes but just as I do, a figure walks in.
"Miss Nessarose, your awake!" The familiar voice of Doctor Tip chirps.
I'm unsure if my ears are just sensitive or if Tip is really yelling.
"I must apologise to you in advance."
"Apologise?" I croak, getting quite anxious.
Doctors tip holds her hands up and does a sort of patting motion, as if consoling a small child.
"Many doctors from all around Oz are coming to examine you, but I'll be here to oversee everything." Tip reply's "for now just try to stay calm."
I sink into my pillow.
"Where's Boc?" I whisper tearfully, "I remember him being on the wagon with me."
Tip once again smiles and repeats her patting motion.
"He's just gone to get himself something to eat." Tip answers hastily.
The door knocks, tip answers it and a tall lady with long brown hair and thick glasses appears, her hair is braided neatly and in her hands she has clasped many small plastic bags containing objects that I can't quite make out.

"Miss Nessarose, this is Doctor Sheridan" Tip announces kindly.
"Greetings Miss Nessarose," the doctor responds.
I'm really not in the right mind to be talking at great lengths.
"It's been brought to my attention" Sheridan begins "that your unable to revive antibiotics, so Doctor tip and I are going to insert an Iv to give you some liquidation."
Doctor Tip can probably tell by the concerned and all around bewildered look on my face that I don't know what's happening.
"The drip will hurt a bit going it." Tip informs me "but once the fluids get round your system you will feel considerably less groggy and we can start more effective treatments because you'll be able to communicate better."

I nod despite the fact that I'm terrified and I become even more terrified once Sheridan pulls out a needle.
I've been terrified of needles since I was a child and doctors would pierce my legs with the hopes of kickstarting the nerves and joints.
Doctor tip holds onto my arm and I jolt suddenly as a bolt of pain sores through my forearm and back out again.
I cry out in pain just as Boc walks through the door.
"Nessa!" He cries watching me writhe weakly on the bed, Boc looks at me with his soft eyes and tells me to close my eyes and just breathe.
I listen to him and try to ignore the slight increase of pressure in my forearm as the drip is inserted.
The pain is making me dizzy, I can barely hear anything and my vision is fuzzy.
"I think she's going to faint!" Boc exclaims.
That being the last thing I hear before my eyes snap shut.

I come to a few moments later, taking in my surrounding again, my arms feels obscure but it's not in pain anymore, a long tube protruding from my forearm connected to an iv drip hanging from something that resembles a large metal coat hanger.
"After a few hours the liquid should clear up Miss Nessarose's head a bit and allow her to be more comfortable whilst we continue the examination." Tips voice instructs, but not to me.
"And what's the plan then?" Boc asks.
There's a brief pause after Bocs question, a pause that makes my stomach perform summersaults.
"Then," Sheridan responds "then we attempt to help Miss Nessarose with her pain."
Doctor Tip clears her throat.
"Many more doctors will be coming in to view Miss Nessarose, so we will have many opinions to sift through."
"They think I'm some kind of rarity." I scoff drearily.
All eyes turn back to me.
"You mustn't think of it like that" Tip chuckles "anyways, Boc will stay with you until you feel your grogginess has warm off and then we can start the examination."
I nod, Boc nods and the two doctors leave my hospital room.

Boc very quickly matches over to reside in the chair next to my bed.
"How are you feeling?" He asks shakily.
"Honestly?" I question, Boc nods "I feel awful."
Boc sighs at my answer.
"Well once the IV drip has worked you'll feel a lot better." Boc replies, grinning sadly, his smile is faked just for me.
"Boc you can go if you want." I say suddenly "I'm sure they can have a nurse sit with me, if I have to be observed.
Boc nods
But still refuses to leave, I state up at the ceiling and wish to be back at home, a child again, staring at the beautiful mural on the roof of my bedroom.
"Nessarose, perhaps sleeping it off is a good idea." Boc whispers, I smile gently and close my eyes, relishing in the foggymess.

"Boc," I mumble feebly "you should contact my sister, tell her that I'm alright."
"Your not alright Nessarose." Boc reply's sternly.
I hold my breath for a few seconds before answering.
"Tell her that I'm alright, I won't have her stewing at home."
Listening to Boc sigh at my response saddens me.
"If we wait until you feel less drowsy then you can speak to her yourself" Boc whispers hopefully.
I think he's foolish to remain hopeful, what has Hope ever brought us?
I can't work at Shiz anymore, the life I rebuilt for myself has been ruined and all people see when they peer at me is my ailments.
I hate it.
I'm not weak.