Nessa

Mayor Franklin sits in a deep green chair with a high, leathery back and golden, curling arms, which he leans back in comfortably.
He attempts to hide his gawking but I can see it in his eyes, he won't stop starring, no one has stopped staring since we've gotten here.
The two other girls who accompanied him are here also, they're sat off to one side together, the two of them staring just as much.
It's rather unnerving for me to be alone with these strangers, I didn't even know that the emerald city had a mayor, my father never mentioned it whist he was alive.

"It is an absolute pleasure having you here Madame Governor." The mayor informs me excitedly. "I remember you as a young girl, my how you've grown into a fine young lady."
"I'm sorry, we've met?" I croak shakily, really struggling to ignore how awkward I'm feeling, "I haven't quite been myself lately and my memory isn't at its best."
Mayor Franklin smiles merrily and leans forward from his armchair.
"Your father, Frexpar the Godly, hosted a fair few dinners for myself and the other leaders of Oz." Franklin replies, reminiscing sweetly "you were always there by his side, though you were merely a girl, I don't expect you to remember."
I clear my throat and place my hands upon the arms of my rickety wooden chair, a part of me regrets not bringing my Governors one as I feel far less regal in this one.
"And of course your mother!" Franklin mentions softly "I knew her too, she was quite the treasure to this land."
I smile emptily, hearing people reminisce about someone who I know is alive and well makes me feel quite rotten.

"I must ask." I interject, becoming increasingly aware that the real reason I came isn't being discussed. "What is it that I've been called here for?"
Frankly wrings his hands together, a vacant expression on his face.
"My people and I have been having dreams, vision like dreams where you are the main focus." Franklin looks towards the two girls sat off to one side before continuing. "Madame Governor, we believe your life is in danger."
I gasp loudly and push myself backwards suddenly, I don't move too far back but it's enough to startle the two girls.
"Madame Governor forgive me!" Franklin cries mercifully "I did not mean to frighten you."
I shake my head nervously, I can't seem to think straight.
"In danger how?" I question fearfully.
Mayor Franklin straightens his posture and wipes his brow.
"Your life has been unfair Madame Governor and you have expiriencd much pain and suffering." Franklin recites "when one feels such emotions they begin to fester, grow-"
"What exactly are you insinuating?" I demand, fearfully angry.
Mayor Franklin wipes a tear from his eyes.
"Madame Governor you're not quite well, and you haven't been for some time."

I widen my eyes and push myself further backwards from the mayors presence, he looks terribly guilty at the notion that he's offended me, I turn my chair hastily and make my way to the door.
It's closed.
"Open this door." I demand through my tears.
"Please Madame," Franklin cries, "if you would accept my apologies, I do not wish to make you despise me, I am only trying to help you."
I turn myself back around, bury my hands underneath my cloak and focus my eyes of Franklin's faltering face.
"You are still a righteous leader, Madame Governor, but a leader must take care of themselves." Franklin sighs sadly, "Madame Governor I'd be honoured if you allowed me to see to your care for a few days, it would put me and my people at ease knowing that we were helping you."
I sigh deeply, knowing that all Im doing is moving from one place to another, one type of care to the next.
When does it end?
When do I finally get to rest?
As I believe that due to my sister, I am immortal, until I'm proven otherwise, I see no reason as to why this man cannot attempt to make me feel temporarily better.
At least I would be doing a service for the citizens of the Emerald City.
"Very well." I nod "I shall reside here until you see fit, but I will not stay without my sister."
Franklin lets out a sigh of relief.
"Oh thank you Madame Governor, thank you so much, you've made us here at the emerald city so very honoured."

Suddenly a question peaks my interest.
"Franklin," I quiz "why are you treating me so humbly, your mayor of Oz's capital city, surely you outrank me."
Franklin chuckles heartily and shakes his head.
"Dear me no, Madame Governor, you are a Governor and I am merely a mayor. I am barley in control of anything around here bar the face of order, I keep everything running but I do not compare to you on any front." Franklin cries, "your family is from a long bloodline of great leaders, coursing through your veins is a priceless liquid, Madame Governor!"
I want to say that I understand, and from the times that my father used to sit me down and attempt to explain the monarchy of Oz to me I have a faint understanding of what's just been described to me but I've not been called Madame Governor in so long that the name feels alien to my ears.
"I understand that today may have been strenuous for you Madame Governor, you've received some awful news and I loath the fact that I had to be the one to deliver it to you, shall I have Celeste here take you back to your room?"
I'm very quick to refuse, I don't care if these people think I'm sickly, because I am but I will not have them think me helpless.
I'm perfectly capable of taking myself down a hallway.
"Don't you trouble the girl," I chuckle, trying to sound regal, "I'm more that equipped to take myself back, I shall speak with you again in the morning."