Chapter 64

"Tracy?" I question when I open the door and find her in tears before me. Henry pokes his head around the corner and hugs my legs tightly. "Whats going on?" I ask again while picking Henry up and she walks past me into my apartment.

"It's Tom." she cries and moves her hair to reveal a newly emerged bruise.

"Oh my god, what happened?" I almost shout and she bursts into tears again. Henry climbs onto the floor from the sofa and pulls out the toys Spencer and I bought him last time he was here.

"He came back drunk and he- we argued- he hit me." she takes a deep breath and I can't cover my shocked expression. "I didn't know what to do, so I just came here cause I didn't want to risk-" Her eyes move to Henry making aeroplane noises.

"He didn't see, he was in his room- just getting ready for bed." she wipes her eyes and exhales. "He's never been like this before, I've never had a problem with him being aggressive." she sighs and I pull her into a hug.

Spencer would always get aggressive when he was angry and drunk, but he never came close to hurting me. Not once.

A few hours later Henry is in bed and Tracy requests to stay on the sofa alone. Of course I agree, I hand her every spare blanket we- I own because it's extremely cold and also my pillow. I've been sleeping on Spencer's.

"If you need anything just let me know."

"Thanks jayj, it means a lot." She thanks me and lays down as I close the door to my bedroom.

The past two days have been so hard, there's so much going on. I grab one of Spencer's tshirts from the wardrobe and pull it over my head. I'm glad he couldn't fit everything in that sports bag. I don't even know where that came from, Spencer doesn't do sport.

I climb into bed and wrap my arms around Spencer's pillow burying my head deep into the cloth. The familiar scent of him sweeps through my nostrils and I instantly feel better, I just wish he was here.

***

When I've showered and brushed my teeth the next morning Henry and Tracy are both still sleeping. I need to go to work, but I don't want to wake any of them.

I decide to dress and do my hair first, if Tracy still hasn't woken by the time I'm done, I'll have no choice but to wake her.

I pull on some trousers a white button up shirt and Spencer's navy cardigan. I get that I should stop dwelling on the past now, but I cant. I miss him and his clothes are the closest thing I've got to him right now.

Once I'm completely ready I head back into the living room where Tracy is now awake.

"Hi." I smile attempting to cover my shock from how badly bruised her eye is now.

"Is it really that bad?" she questions sighing and I bite my lip.

"It's not that bad, just more bruised." I lie and she nods. "I need to go to work now, help yourself to what ever. I'll be back around seven." I say and Tracy smiles as I leave the apartment for my job.

***

"JJ!" Jake is the first to see and greet me, his warm smile causes me to smile brighter than I have for a while. "Hi, how are you?" he pulls me straight into a hug and I'm thankful he isn't holding any kind of grudge after the awkward and forced kiss a few weeks ago.

"I could be better." I sigh as we enter the elevator and he laughs lightly.

"Well, I've been pretty bored without you here." he laughs further and presses the button for the elevator to rise.

"Have you uh- have you see Spencer lately?" I can't help but ask, the confused expression on Jakes tanned face gives me the answer before he even speaks.

"You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"He asked Andy to transfer his to another of our offices that's just been built over in NYC." he frowns and continues. "I assumed you'd know, with you being his girlfriend an-"

"I'm not his girlfriend." I state and Jake looks at me even more confused.

"What? I- I thought-"

"We split up three days ago, haven't spoken once since." my voice cracks slightly and I'm disappointed with my lack of control.

"Aw, I hope you're ok." he forces a smile while wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"I guess, it's just hard. I loved- love him and now-"

"I understand, if you ever need to talk I'm just down the hall now." he smiles properly this time and I smile back as we step onto the floor we work on. Jake leaves in one direction as I head in the other.

Instead of going straight to my office I head into the toilets and cry for a few minutes. He's asked to be transferred to New York? is that where he is now? This really is the end of us... we're completely over. He doesn't care anymore.

I wipe my eyes and adjust my clothing before heading to my office. Everything feels so weird, my life is falling apart but the whole world just keeps going. Everything here is so normal.

***

After work I return home to find Tracy and Henry gone... I'm alone again. There's a note pinned to my fridge that reads:

•Tom came over and he apologised for everything. It was an accident and he's promised never to do something like that again. Thanks for letting us stay, I really appreciate it. We will come and see you soon.•

What?

How could she go back to him after what he did? She could be putting Henry in danger doing this, what is she thinking?

I pick up my mobile and call her with anger bubbling inside, not just from the incident now playing out. Also from the incident with Spencer, does he really hate me that much that he has to go to New York?!

"Hi, Tracy hi. Where are you?" I ask in an attempt to sound like I've not already read the note.

"We're with Tom, I- I left you a note." he voice cracks slightly and I can feel my anger growing.

"Why? why would you do that? he gave you a black eye Tracy and you're running back to him like a lost puppy the moment he apologises? Are you stupid? What about Henry?" My voice begins to raise and Tracy shouts back.

"It has nothing to do with you JJ, Henry is safe with me! Why do you care so much? He's my son and I can look after him, stop sticking your nose into all of my business!" she hangs up and I impersonate Spencer for a few seconds as I throw my phone across the room and it bounces off a wall. I wish Spencer was here right now, he would know what to do about all of this.

Spencer's POV:

"Excuse me sir, are you ok?" The woman beside me rests her hand on my arm while observing my clammy face. No, I'm not ok. I took dilaudid last night after being clean for so long and I'm in desperate need of some more.

I nod my head at the woman in hope she won't bug me the whole plane ride home. I just need some sleep. Yeah sleep, that will make me feel better.

I lay my head against the window I'm sat beside and look down at the earth growing smaller. I can feel my leg bouncing up and down and I know that everyone around me probably thinks I'm afraid of flying.

After a few minutes my eyes begin to close and I drift to sleep.