Chapter 66

I wake the next morning on the padded floor of the gym with a large, muscular man shaking my shoulders.

"What's going on?" I ask and his concerned eyes scan my face.

"You must have passed out last night, that punch bag sure took a beating." he laughs and helps me to my feet. "I'm Sean." he smiles while pushing his fallen, blonde hair over his head.

"Uh- Spencer." I awkwardly shake the hand of his I'm already holding.

"Do you want a coffee?" he offers while letting go and walking in the direction of the door.

I nod and he looks down to his watch. "Actually, maybe we should grab something a little stronger?" he smirks and pulls his coat from a hanger before throwing my shirt and bag to me and heading outside.

We climb in his car, me still in my gym shorts and now a plain white tshirt and Sean in dark jeans and a black tank top.

We arrive at a local club and before we go inside, Sean pulls an all black button up short from his boot and puts it on.

"I can't show up to the job looking like this now can I?" he laughs and pushes his hair over his head again to join the rest of his slicked back hair.I shrug and follow the man into the bar he claims to work at.

Inside it's dark and the walls are lined with a burgundy wallpaper. The mahogany bar has been touched up with a dark brown varnish, creating a satisfying shine. Small tables are dotted around the black tiled floor and orange lights dangle from the ceiling. This doesn't look like the sort of place I would normally go to drink, this place is nice.

"Here." he hands me a glass filled with wine and I instantly feel out of place. I've never been anywhere like this before. "Nice isn't it?" He asks proudly and I nod. "It took me a while to get this far, but there's still so much that I've got to do." he smiles and my eyes find a cornered off area.

Inside theres lots of wooden frames being put up to create extra walls and the floor is covered in a blue protector. "You own this place?" I ask a little too surprised and he laughs.

"Yeah, I'm turning it into a restaurant. Over there is going to be the kitchen and some more tables. When they're done, this whole wall is coming down." He points toward the area I was previously looking at and then to a wall that separates that area from the bar I'm sat at.

"Cool." I state and take a mouthful of my drink.

Sean begins to polish some glasses before refilling the one I'm my hand. "So what drove you to fight that punch bag so hard you passed out?" he smirks and I sigh.

"I'm just having a hard time, I've got a lot going on." my head falls into my hands. "Plus, I'm not that much of a pussy. I'd had a lot to drink."

"And something a little sharper too by the looks of it." he nods toward my bare arm where marks from the needle I'd used to take dilaudid are present. I attempt to pull down my sleeve, but it doesn't work. "Its alright man, everyone has their faults and you seem alright to me." he nods in a reassuring manner in I flash him a thankful smile.

JJ's POV:

***

"Well JJ, your first week back at work is finally over." Jake smiles and pulls me into a hug.

"And everything has been ok." I smile back, thankful I've made it through the week.

"So, are you coming out tonight? There's a free bar, Andy's already payed everything off... you know seeing as though it's his birthday?" he holds me at arms length and I continue to smile. Jake has been such a big help these past few days I would have had a breakdown without him.

I nod, accepting his invitation to go out tonight. "Great! you deserve it."he smiles a giant, white smile before rubbing my shoulder and heading into his office to pack his files.

"He so fancies you." Alex sneaks up behind me and I jump slightly.

"No he doesn't." I protest and she laughs at me.

"He definitely does, there's is no denying it." If only she knew. My mind floats back to the kiss Jake and I shared in the printing room and I cringe slightly. I'm glad it hasn't come to that again, Jake is more of a close friend to me.

Alex arcs her brow as we step in the elevator and I realise I haven't answered her. "Shut up." I joke and she laughs again.

A few minutes later we're on the bottom floor and stepping out of the metal cage.

"I'll see you tonight then?" she questions and I nod in agreement. I may have been doing ok without Spencer for the moment, but I still miss him. Maybe tonight will help me take my mind off of us for a little while?

When I arrive at my apartment I lock the door and take a long, hot shower. The water cascades down my body and I stand in the stream for a little while, doing nothing.

By eight my hair has dried and I'm stood in the bedroom with the wardrobe wide open. I don't have a clue what to wear.

If it's the bosses 'birthday do' will it be formal or more casual? Is it even a proper party? I step back until the back of my legs are touching the bed and throw my self onto the mattress with a large sigh. Why is dressing for parties so hard?

Eventually I decide on a black, backless dress that reaches midway down my thighs. I curl my hair slightly and put on some heels.

***

The bar is already full by the time I get there as I'm glad I decided on the dress because everyone is dressed like I expected. Jake approaches me with two drinks in has hands.

"You made it!" he smiles brightly and hands me one of the glasses while kissing me on the cheek. "You look beautiful." he compliments me and I return his smile.

Jake is dressed in baggy black trousers and a blue button up shirt, open at the top. I can't help but notice the tightness of the fabric on his arms and when he catches me looking he blushes slightly. Maybe he does like me?

I take a large mouthful of my drink and link Jake as we make our way through the crowded bar to a table where Blake is sat. Her eyes move from me to Jake and I let go of his arm faster than I probably should have.

I take a seat beside her and we get into a full conversation about how there's so many people here we've never met. "I bet half of them are just here for free booze?" I laugh and Alex joins me.

"Probably, who doesn't love a free drink eh?" she nudges my arm and laughs again.

Just as I settle and finish my first drink, loud cheers sound through the bar. "Looks like the big ol' boss is here." Jake smiles and heads in the direction of the door in order to greet the birthday boy.

Hours later my blood is singing with alcohol and music is pumping hard through the large room. Many people are on their feet dancing, Jake and Alex stand, requesting me to join them but I refuse. Instead I watch them move together on the dance floor.

This would be an even better night if Spencer was here. Why does he have to be so stubborn? Why hasn't he called or texted me yet? It's almost been two weeks and I miss him so, so much.

Before I can think any more I clamber out of my seat and head towards the girls restroom. If the stubborn idiot won't call me, I'll call him.

I open a stall and lock the door behind me, pulling up my dress and down my knickers. I need to pee.

I tense slightly from the coolness of the toilet seat before rooting through my bag to find my mobile. It takes me a few seconds to find and dial Spencer's number. It rings twice and he picks up.

Short chapter again, Sorry!! I don't know why it's taking me so long to write lately, I hope you're all not sick of waiting haha

Also, please excuse any of the typos, I haven't proof read it cause I wanted to update asap, sorry!!