Chapter 99

Once Damien and his men are done beating the shit out of me, I get thrown back into his car and dumped by the park JJ and I take Henry to.

I climb from my knees back on to my feet and stumble slightly into the fence surrounding the perimeter of the playground.

"Hey, are you ok?" a short man approaches me wearing a cap on his head. It's only when he's almost by my side that I notice he is a young boy, fourteen maybe?

"I'm fine..." I roll up the sleeve of my now ripped cardigan to reveal the watch beneath. "shouldn't you be like, in be or something?" I grunt, not meaning to sound rude, but obviously appearing to be.

The boy laughs and steadies me on my feet. "I'll leave you alone then, I guess I've got to go to bed." he laughs again and crosses back over the empty road.

It takes me just five, agonising minutes to reach my apartment building. I decide to take the elevator, coming to the conclusion my ankle must be sprained. I wouldn't be surprised. My legs took a massive beating to get me back on the ground after I gathered the strength to release myself from the hold I was in and knock Will out.

I open the apartment door and find the TV on, but nobody watching it. Just before I call JJ's name, I hear her voice and instantly know she's reading to Henry.

"... matter how big you grow and if you stray far..." Her voice becomes clearer as I hobble toward Henry's bedroom.
"I'll love you forever, because you're always my baby star.' " I reach the door and push it open slightly, leaning on the frame as she finishes the story.

"Where have you been?" JJ questions the minute she notices me. She moves past my body into the living room and closes the door once I've followed her out.

I head past her and in to the kitchen, walking around the island before looking up to her frowning face. "I had some things to do, are these for me?" I grab a chicken nugget and stick the whole thing in my mouth.

"What things?"

"Damien wanted me to-"

"Oh so it is that idiot then?" She raises her voice and my ears ring slightly.

"JJ no-"

"Why do you have to lie to me?" She joins me on my side of the island, grabbing the plate I ate the nuggets off and shoving it in the sink.

"I'm not fucking lying JJ, If you would just listen to-"

"I always listen Spencer, and you always ruin everything. We were doing so well and you-"

What?

"I ruin everything huh?" A frown covers my face, if she knew what i'd just gone through to keep her happy. To protect her.

"No, Spence I-"

"Fuck off Jennifer." I state sombrely and head straight to the bedroom. I don't spend too much time grabbing some bedding and re entering the living room.

I dump the sheets on the sofa and begin to take off my shirt. I sit down and pull the sheets over my body before taking off my trousers, quickly remembering she might catch sight of my already bruised torso.

I don't look at JJ once as she moves past the sofa and enters our room, pretty much slamming the door behind her.

I'm doing everything I can to prevent this woman from being exposed to the shitty world I live in and all I get is fucking mood swings.

I throw myself down on to the cushioned surface below me, poking myself in the eye during my tantrum.

Just when I think things can't get any worse, my feet tangle in the sheets and when I attempt to set them free, I twist my ankle further.

"For fuck sake."

"Spence?" I roll over on the sofa to find JJ stood in the doorway of our bedroom, a small smile playing on her lips. "Come to bed?" She moves in front of me and pulls back the sheets, reaching for my hands and pulling me up.

I stand taller than her and wince in pain as she pulls me into a hug. "Sorry." She whispers and I draw away from her, scanning her frowning face in the dark.

"It's fine." I sigh and she looks down at my bare body.

"Spence, your skin?" she gasps slightly and runs her fingers over the purple marks.

"It's nothing JJ-"

"It sure as hell doesn't look like nothing." she frowns as looks back up to my face. "What have you done?" she sighs while shaking her head.

"JJ, it's not what you think. This is what happens because I wouldn't do that. Because I wouldn't beat people up to pay my loan."

"We need to go to the police."

"JJ, no. Damien has contacts... people all over this city. If we go to the police, you and Henry won't be safe." I say sternly and worry flashes over her features.

"What about Derek, he's in the police now, he can-"

"Listen to me Jennifer, no. It's not safe."

"But you can't keep getting beaten up like this, it could be worse next time."

"It will be worse next time. You and Henry already aren't safe. Look, I just need some sleep, can we just forget about this?"

"Forget about it? are you kidding me right now?"

"Just leave it, ok?" my anger builds again and I remove myself from JJ's arms to go to our bed. I climb inside and pull the duvet up right over my shoulders, exposing my swollen ankle.

I don't feel JJ climb back in beside me and before I know it, I'm sleeping.