Chapter 74

JJ's POV:

"What time did he say he was picking you up?" Emily asks through the shower curtain.

"I said 7, but I didn't really give him a chance to answer... I didn't want to ruin it you know?" I sigh, knowing that if I would have stood at the door any longer, I might have told him I still love him.

"I know." I hear her sigh and then she tells me one minute before leaving the bathroom.

I don't have a clue why Spencer has asked me to go... On a date? With him. Maybe it's just to be nice because he knows I'm going to be on my own tonight. Or maybe it could be because he wants to pull me down further, show me what I could have had.

I shake the thought from my head and wash the last of the conditioner from my hair. I just need to make sure I don't let myself get attached again, I'm doing fine without him now... At least I have to constantly remind myself that. Maybe it's easier because he's still around, even if I don't get to touch him.

I climb out of the shower and head through the living room in the direction of my bedroom. "You have an hour." Emily remarks and I sigh loudly.

"I'm never going to be ready on time!" I groan and she laughs as I slouch on the sofa instead of getting dressed.

Emily joins me, handing me a coffee as she takes a mouthful from hers. "You should get ready." She smiles and taps her watch.

"What are you and Derek doing tonight?"

"Don't change the subject mrs, go and get ready. Spencer will be here soon." My heart jolts at the sound of his name and butterflies pile in my stomach as I change into my favourite black dress.

I feel like a teenage girl about to meet her favourite band member, excited and worried at the same time.

I'm completely ready by one minute past 7 and Spencer isn't here. "I'm sure he's just running late, the traffic is probably bad." Emily reassures me at the same time as my subconscious mocks me.

***

Seven thirty, Spencer is still a no show and you're an idiot. All dressed up for nothing.

The butterflies are replaced with daggers, what if this was all part of one of his sick little games? What if he just wanted to make me feel like an idiot, getting me to accept a date and then not turn up?

Just as I allow the horrible thoughts to flood my head, a knock sounds at the door and I almost throw up.

"Ok, Emily how do I look?" I frantically question and she laughs at me loudly. I can't help but jump forward and cover her mouth, just in case Spencer hears her.

She pushes me away and swings the door open before walking off. "Hi." I say embarrassed and Spencer smirks.

"Hi."

He looks amazing. He's wearing black skinny jeans and his all black converse with a bluish shirt and a navy blue blazer, a purple skinny tie rests on his chest and his blazer is open, revealing his- waist. His long hair has been trimmed a little bit shorter and his stubble has been perfectly shaved.

"So..." He says awkwardly and rocks on the balls of his feet. "Should we go?" He suggests and I nod slowly.

He takes my hand in his as we head outside to the waiting cab, he opens the door for me and I climb inside.

"Valentines date?" The cab driver asks with a pleasant smile before pulling out on to the road.

"We're just friends." Spencer grunts and let's go of the hand he held again once he got inside.

***

We reach the restaurant and Spencer leads us inside. We're greeted by a tall, almost ginger man with slicked back hair and a beard. "Your table is over here." It surprises me how unprofessional he is when talking to Spencer, but they probably know each other.

We're lead to a table that's a little more secluded from the rest, it's at the back of the large room and about thirty seconds from the bar. Spencer smiles and pulls out the black, padded chair for me, allowing me to sit down.

The table is blanketed in a white table cloth that reaches half way down the legs. There's a black strip of cloth running through the centre of the table and on top of it rests a red candle and two menus. In front of me is a wine glass with a red napkin tucked inside, the same is mirrored on Spencer's side of table.

The room is dim, the only sense of light coming from the bar and long dangling lights reaching from the ceiling. Beside me is a long floor to ceiling window that looks out into the restaurant garden. Outside there's a little pool lit by cute fairy lights and more candles, plus a small amount of metal chairs sat around small metal tables.

When I'm finally done scanning the area my eyes meet Spencer's, who's were on me the whole time. "Like it?" he asks cautiously and I nod.

"It's really nice." I don't know how he managed to afford a place like this and I don't really want to ask him, just in case the drug dealer funded his needs again.

He smiles and gestures for the waiter we met earlier to join us again. "Could we get some wine?" he asks and the man nods with a smile.

I awkwardly look around the room again, I hate that I'm not enjoying his company as much as I used to. I so badly want to touch him and thank him with a kiss and tell him how much I love him, but I can't and it's killing me.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Spencer's voice breaks me from my stare and I meet his eyes again. I don't know what I'm supposed to say, I was thinking about him, but I can't tell him that.

"I uh- I was just wondering like... how many people do you think are eating here... right now?"

He glances around the room then looks back to me. "82."

"There's no way you counted all of them people that fast."

"I didn't."

"So how did you-"

"Well judging by the population of this area in specific and by the amount of cars I'm the parking lot... I made- an estimation."

"So you don't actually know? it's just a guess?"

"No, it's accurate. There's exactly 82 people eating here right now, including you and I." he smiles and takes a mouthful from the wine glass the waiter filled earlier.

I raise my eye brow at him and he smiles. "Ask him." he nods to the waiter walking past us and I stop the man and ask the question.

He informs me that he will have to check and he'll let me know when he brings our food.

"So, how much are you betting that I'm wrong?" Spencer smirks and I laugh a little.

"I don't know... how much are you betting that you're right huh? I joke and his smile fades.

"I bet you a kiss." His face is stone and my whole body sets alight.

"What?" I ask, hoping my desire for him hasn't clouded my thoughts, made me hear things.

"If I'm right, I get to kiss you." his smirk reappears and I can't help but smile back. Inside my head I'm screaming at the waiter to tell me Spencer is right, but my subconscious is constantly reminding me of his girlfriend and how he could just be playing with my feelings.

We wait awkwardly for our food to come and the smirk doesn't remove itself from Spencer's face as the waiter approaches us again.

"There's 82 people eating right now." he smiles and places the plates on the mats in front of us. I stare at the man in disbelief, Spencer actually guessed right. Of course he guessed right, he's uber smart.

I can feel his hazel eyes burning into me as I watch the almost ginger man walk away. Spencer reaches over the table and rests his hand on mine.

"Spence." I practically moan his name in a public place as his thumb rubs circles on my wrist.

"I'll take the kiss later." He smiles and snaps his hand back by his side.

My whole body aches for his touch again, It's crazy what he does to me, how much I need him.