Chapter 4

I wake the next morning to a knock on the door. When I look through the spy hole my best friend is stood in the hall. She's shuffling her feet uncomfortably and then her head shoots in the direction of Spencer's door. A smile covers my face as I remember how much I missed her and I unlock the door quickly, hoping she hasn't already met the dickhead next door.

"Is there a reason you're staring at me?" I hear as my apartment door opens. I guess i was too late and Spencer has already introduced himself to her with his usual tone. Her brows furrow and she opens her mouth to speak, but then realises I'm beside her.

"JJ!" Her arms wrap tightly around me and she laughs while asking who the rude man is. "You don't even want to know." I say as she draws away. "He's an idiot." I finish and she laughs again.

Before I close the door I check to see if Spencer is still around. He is literally just turning the corner to go down the staircase. A feeling of guilt momentarily drowns me as I hope he didn't hear me. "Erm JJ?" I turn quickly remembering I have company. Her brow is raised and she's smiling, I brush it off and we head to the living room.

I make some coffee and grab some biscuits for us to have a catch up. "So how has it been so far? Having your own place and not having to put up with me?" She shouts from the living room to the kitchen. I join her with two cups of my favourite beverage and explain the events of the past few days.

When I'm finished she's holding her stomach with tears in her eyes, laughing. She laughs even more when she sees that I'm not at all finding any of this amusing. "c'mon, I know he's rude but he seems to have a good sense of humour." She says while rubbing my shoulder.

I allow myself to laugh slightly. "That's the thing though, it's not his humour... Its his personality." She pulls me in for another hug and pats my head in a playful manner. "Oh my little Jennifer, it's a hard life having a hot little bad boy as a neighbour." I laugh again and she lets go.

She stares at me for a moment, then moves closer looking into my eyes. "Wait..." She grabs my hand and pretends to be looking at the lines. "You fancy him." I pull my hand from her grip and burst out laughing. "You're such a tease!" She joins me laughing.

When we've both finally collected ourselves and our laugher is under control, I stick a film on.

***

A few hours later and I look beside me to find my best friend sleeping. Her dark fringe is scattered over her forehead and the rest of her hair is falling perfectly over her shoulders. Her lips are slightly parted and neck is falling to one side. She looks super uncomfortable, but very peaceful. She must be so tired from the drive here and all the laughter we shared.

I missed having her around so much, at one point she was my best friend and my roommate. We did everything together. Now I live a two hour drive from her, it's horrible.

I decide to get a pillow from my room and prop her head up with it. It's so awkward cause I'm trying my best not to wake her, but when I put the pillow beneath her she moans a little and opens her eyes. "Sorry!" I whisper shout. "You looked uncomfortable and I-"
"JJ it's fineeeee" she sleepily smiles.

"It's 6pm. Do you want to get some food?" I ask, my stomach has been grumbling for the past 30 mins and now she's awake it's alright to eat. She props herself up and wipes her eyes. "Sorry about that, I'm just so tired." She pushes her fringe from her face and I laugh as it sticks up. "It's ok, maybe a little walk to the bar will wake you up?" I ask, brushing my fingers over her hair to flatten the wispy bits. "A couple of drinks and some good food sounds great right about now." She agrees and we make our way toward the lift.

As we get closer to the lift I glance at the stairs debating whether to take them after Spencer's little stunt the other day. "Do you wanna take the stairs?" Emily says as if she just read my mind. "Yeah. Sorry I just-"
"JJ, I think I'm going to be scared of lifts for a while now too!" She laughs and I give her a thankful smile.

When we reach the bottom Marcus greets me and Emily. "Hey girls! Is there anything I can do for you?" He adjusts his tie and flattens his shirt. He won't make eye contact with Emily and I stifle a laugh. "No thanks Marcus, we're heading into town." Emily speaks for me.

When we're outside I let the laugh out and Emily shoves me into a wall. "I know what you're laughing about. Stop." She smiles. "I've never seen him act like that before! He couldn't even look you in the eye!" Her smile grows and she wraps her arm around me. "I know, I know. I've just got a way with people." She laughs.

***
When we enter the bar and take a seat at a table a voice I've definitely heard before over powers everyone else's. "Garcia, baby girl, please tell me something I want to hear?" I turn to find Derek walking toward a table with two other people sat at it. "Babe, the drinks are already here." Morgan smiles and takes a seat next to a blonde haired woman and... Spencer.

He's sat with his coat still on and his messy hair covering the majority of his face. His hands are deep into his pockets and an empty glass is sat in front of him. His foot is sticking out slightly from under the table and I laugh to myself cause it's obvious his legs are too long to fit under properly.

"I knew you were interested." I snap out of my stare and face Emily again. "Let's go and say hi?"
"Noooo, no, no, no." I protest holding my hands up. "I don't fancy him and I don't want to say hello." Emily laughs at me and grabs the menu from the centre of the table. "Drinks or food first?"
"Both?" Emily smiles again. "I should have seen that coming."

***
A few drinks later and Emily and I are still laughing. "I've missed you so much Em." I say in between drinks. He laughter quietens. "You shouldn't have left me then." I give her a playful shove. "You know I had to!"
"I'm sure you could have put up with a stalker ex for a few more years. At least until I had enough money to move too!" She says while laughing. I know she's joking, but I can't help the feeling of guilt because of her words. "Emily, you know I couldn't deal with Will any longer. He was ruining my life."
"I know. It's fine." She sets her glass on the table and covers my hand with hers. "Let's not put a downer on tonight. You're going to have to put up with me again in a few years time. I'll move right next door!" She laughs again and stands. "Another drink?" I agree and she leaves for the bar.

While she's gone, I take the time to see if Spencer and his friends are still here. When I turn around another man is there now too. He has short dark hair and his frown is almost as deep as Spencer's. Derek isn't there anymore, but his coat is? I scan the room for him, praying he's just on the toilet. I see him at the bar laughing with Emily...