Chapter 2

When I wake in the morning, everything is silent. No music, no voices, just silence. I try to roll over and go back to sleep, but it just isn't working, so I climb out of bed and head to the living room. Again there is nothing decent on TV and boredom slowly fills my day.

By three o'clock I give up on the TV and head downstairs to talk to Marcus. He seems nice and with me not being able to leave the building until the rest of my things have arrived, I have absolutely nothing else to do.

When the lift doors open Marcus scrambles around behind the desk, throwing what I think is his phone in a bag and stands to his feet. He takes in a deep breath and greets me. "Ms Jareau, what can I do for you today?" His white smile looks forced and some black hair is falling from the rest that's gelled to his head.

"Please, just call me Jennifer... are you any good at keeping someone company?" Marcus' shoulders instantly relax. "I've been dying for some company all day! This job is horrendous." He laughs slightly and pushes his dark hair from his face.

There's and awkward silence for a few minutes and Marcus breaks it by offering me some coffee from the office.

After about four coffees and a lot of laughing, I find out that Marcus is just 25 and he's had this job for about 3 years. Mr Reid is called Spencer Reid and he's always been moody and rude although him and Marcus have had a few laughs.

His friends aren't round that often, but when they are, there's always a lot of noise. "Derek is a bit of a party animal, he likes to have a good time." Marcus says while retrieving his coat. "I'm sure they won't be round for another week or so. Spencer sees them everyday, but they don't always come home with him." He zips his coat to the top and pulls his bag over his shoulder.

"Look, I've gotta go. My shift ends now." He smiles and ruffles his hair before placing a hat on his head. "Ok, I'll see you tomorrow?"
"Nope, sorry Jennifer! I don't work weekends. I'll see you Monday though yeah?" He pats my shoulder as leaves me in the lobby.

It's now 6 o'clock and I head back to the lift and back to my apartment. When the doors open, Spencer is on his way down the stairs. I don't get why he doesn't just take the lift, it would be so much faster!

A few days later and my things still haven't arrived, I'm absolutely bored out of my head and I completely give up on waiting. If they turn up and I'm not here, I'll just have to deal with half stolen things and buy some more. I decide to do a little food shopping, I've been eating takeaway for the past few days and I can feel the pounds building on my stomach. I need some proper food.

When I leave my apartment Spencer has just finished climbing the stairs and looks incredibly tired. His usual frown is plastered across his brows and his long hair is dripping wet. "Is it raining outside?" I don't even know why I bothered asking him. "No, I just jumped in the neighbours shower fully clothed." He mutters as his high top converse splash water on the carpet with every step. He doesn't even stop to give me a reasonable answer, instead he enters his own apartment.

When I reach the ground floor and step out of the lift Marcus greets me with his white smile. "Hey Jennifer!" He waves from behind the desk, phone in hand and feet propped up on the wood. It's nice to know he's comfortable around me now, I feel more accepted.

Sure enough out side the weather is horrid. People are running everywhere and the wind is sending hundreds of umbrellas inside out. The sky is a deep shade of grey and the sun is no where to be seen.

I kind of need to hurry if I want to avoid missing my drop off and looking like Spencer did five minutes ago.

I run to the nearest store and grab a few essentials; milk, bread, butter, coffee... God I've not had a good coffee for a while. I have to admit, the coffee Marcus made really wasn't that great. I almost had to force it down my throat, and then he made more!

I'll have to get some more food in a few days, hopefully the weather will have cleared by then.

***
Back at the apartment building there's a sign left on my door.

Hey Jen, the guys came to drop off your stuff today. I told them you'd gone out but they're busy every other day and couldn't take them back. Unfortunately I've just finished my shift and so I couldn't look after them for you too. Surprisingly, Spencer offered to take them in for you. I'm sorry, but I had no choice! He's in a decent mood today though so I hope you're ok to collect them!
Marcus x

The little kiss at the end made me smile, but then the realisation that I've got to speak to spencer again set in.