Chapter 85

"What have you guys killed?" Emily's voice rings through the apartment and Henry dives from his seat beside me into her arms.

"Hey pretty boy" Morgan takes the seat where Henry was previously sat. "How are your knuckles?" he laughs a grabs my hand in order to inspect it.

I snatch it back and shove his shoulder. "It's not funny Morgan, I could have killed him."

"I'm not saying I agree with what you did, but I'm glad you did it." he smiles a little and turns to face Emily and Henry who are sitting on the other sofa.

"So, what died in here kid?" He questions and Henry giggles.

"We made cookies."

"Really? where's mine?" Emily teases and Henry climbs from the sofa.

He returns a few seconds later trying to stop the four cookies he has on a plate from falling. "Uncle Spence was sick, so me and auntie JJ make cookies." he smiles and puts the plate in Prentiss' lap.

Morgan looks at me again with a concerned look covering his features. "I'm fine." I state and he nods slowly, scanning my face in the process.

"Where's JJ?" Emily asks while placing the plate on the coffee table.

"She was showering, I don't know." I stand up and Morgan flicks through the channels on the TV as I head to the bathroom.

"JJ?" I call her name before opening the door and entering. "Morgan and Prentiss are here." I say while taking a seat on the toilet lid.

Her head pokes around the shower curtain and water trickles down her face as she speaks. "I'm almost done, could you hand me that towel?" she points at the towel rack.

"I uh- I need to talk to you about something." I say slowly, my mind finally made up on what we can do the rest of the week.

"What is it Spence?" she asks while frowning and climbing out of the shower. I wrap the towel around her body and she looks up to my face.

"Nothing important, it can wait." I assure her and she nods before walking through the living room to our bedroom, greeting our friends on the way.

I follow her, but stop at the living room and take a seat again. JJ joins us shortly after and the five of us order take out while having a mini movie night.

***

"Is he sleeping well here?" Prentiss asks JJ when she returns from putting Henry to bed.

"Yeah, my mum was going to take him to her house today, but he wanted to stay here." she smiles and sits beside me again, wrapping herself in my arm.

"He looks comfortable."

"He is comfortable." The two women exchange another smile before both turning to face the television screen again.

"Derek and I have something to tell you guys." Emily says slowly and both JJ and I look in their direction.

Morgan looks at me with a smirk and Emily holds her left hand up, flashing an engagement ring.

"Oh my god, when?" JJ jumps from my arms to pull Emily into a hug and Morgan moves from her side, allowing her to do so, taking a seat beside me instead.

The girls enter a full flowing conversation planning the weeding almost straight away, I'm guessing this is something they both spoke about as children.

My eyes move from the squealing bundles of oestrogen to the man beside me.

"Congratulations." I say a little to sombrely and he laughs slightly.

"I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her." he smiles and looks over to his fiancé chatting with JJ.

I nod, knowing exactly what he means. "When are you gonna pop the question then, pretty boy?" He smirks and I let out a small laugh.

"I-"

"You're having an engagement party right?" JJ directs her question at both Morgan and Emily, completely cutting me off.

"Well, that's kind of what we're here for..." Emily smiles and Morgan takes control of the conversation.

"We came here to invite you, it's next week." he smiles and JJ nods eagerly, if this is how she's reacting to her best friend being engaged, imagine how she'd react to... us?

I watch her for a few minutes as the three of them talk about the event. Her wet hair hangs over her shoulder, dripping beads of water onto her grey sweat pants. I love how it looks a shade darker when it's wet, it really brightens her eyes. She catches me staring and a small smile sets over her lips before she looks at Emily again. I love her, but I don't need to marry her to prove that... right?

"Reid." Morgan snaps me from my daydream with a shove to the shoulder.

"Yeah?" I ask as I slowly draw my eyes from JJ.

He frowns slightly while scanning my face before proceeding with the original question. "You're going to be my best man right?" he laughs and I nod my head.

"Yeah, yeah... of course." he smiles again and looks over at Emily.

"All right!"

***

Some time later when the newly engaged couple leave our apartment, JJ and I head to bed.

"Spence?" JJ's quiet voice fills my ears as she draws back the duvet. I look up to show her I'm listening and she continues. "You said you had to talk to me about something?"

Both of us lie down and pull the sheets up to our chests before I answer her. "Yeah, I uh- I was wondering if-" she rolls over to get a proper view of my face and I forget what it was I was going to say.

I've been in love with JJ since the second time we met, when she knocked on my apartment door asking for me to turn down the music in her pink slippers and fluffy dressing gown. I find myself smiling at the memory. She never fails to take my breath away, never. I could be rambling my random facts, or whispering dirty words into her ear at the most inappropriate times, yet she still manages to silence me with just one look.

"Spencer?" JJ laughs slightly beside me while placing her hand on my chest.

"I love you." I say out of nowhere and she laughs more.

"I love you too." Her face grows larger as she moves closer to me and kisses me softly on the lips.

Her face is just inches from mine, her hot breath cascading down my neck and chest, again I forget what I was going to say.

"Spence?" JJ is laughing again and when my eyes adjust to the darkness surrounding her face, her smile becomes visible.

"Yeah?"

"You were wondering..." she smiles again and a warm tingle runs up my spine.

"How would you like to meet my mother?" I want to punch myself once I've said it, the question zipping through my head as the words leave my mouth.

She doesn't know anything about my mother, or my childhood. I'm quite surprised she hasn't asked yet, but also thankful because it saved me the embarrassment of explaining she's mentally ill.

"Are you ok?" JJ's concerned voice breaks me from my thoughts and my eyes focus on her face again.

"Yeah- why?"

"I don't know, you just seem... out of it?" She laughs a little and then her smile fades suddenly. "you're not-"

"No, no, no, no, no, no. I wouldn't do that to you, not now." I prop myself up on my elbow and JJ's eyes follow me, causing her to lay on her back.

"I'd love to meet your mum Spence." she whispers and pulls my head to meet hers. Her lips brush across mine again, quickly, but it's enough to have me moan in to her mouth.

"JJ-" I pull myself up again, unwillingly separating my mouth from hers. "My mum, she uh- there's a lot I haven't told you and I- well I should really-"

"Shut up Spence." she silences me with another swift kiss to the lips before rolling herself on top of me...