Chapter 67

"Jennifer?" He sounds surprised and to be honest, I don't blame him. I'm slightly surprised I've called him myself.

"Spence, hi."

"What are you doing?" his voice is stripped of emotion, but I'm thankful to be hearing it.

"I'm peeing." I giggle and I hear a sigh come from the other end of the line.

"Are you- drunk?" he questions and I giggle again.

"What's it to you huh? You don't care about me." I say, regretting the words as soon as they leave my mouth. But does he?

"Are you fucking kidding me? like seriously, are you honestly taking the piss?" His voice begins to fill with anger, but the alcohol running through my veins prevents me from thinking coherently. Instead I laugh. It feels so good to hear his voice again, just to hear words leave his mouth.

"Why the fuck are you laughing Jennifer?" his annoyance is now clear and I can't lie to him.

"I just- I... miss you." I let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding and my words hang in the air. He doesn't say anything for a little while and I begin to feel like an idiot. "Why didn't you call me?" I finally pluck up the courage to ask him and I can feel tears welling in my eyes.

"I don't know I-" he stops and I wait for the rest of his reply but it doesn't come.

"I thought I'd be ok without you Spencer... I really did but I've missed you so much these past couple of weeks, it feels like missing you is all I am you know?"

"I guess you never really know how deeply invested in someone you are until you try to walk away." My heart jolts at his reply, I was not at all expecting it. If I'm honest I was expecting him to hang up as soon as I spoke. "I miss you too Jennifer." he sighs and I wipe my eyes quickly, knowing if I let them stream any longer i'll look a train wreck. "You're at Anderson's party?" He asks, his voice somber again.

"Yeah."

"Oh-"

That's it, oh?

"Are you uh- are you having fun?" he asks after his short delay.

"Well, I'm a little drunk." I giggle and I hear him smile through the phone. God I'd do anything to see him smile again. "Are you smiling Mr Reid?" I joke and he laughs. It sends a warm tingle up my spine and a large grin spreads over my face.

"Now you're smiling Ms Jareau." he states, no question about it. "That dumb smile that I love so much." he sighs and my breath hitches. There's a long silence down the line as I try to wrap my head around those words.

"Can you hurry please?" a loud voice sounds through the cubicle door and I laugh again.

"Spence, I need to go." I say and I can feel the tears pricking in my eyes again, I don't want to go. I want to stay sat here in this bathroom, listening to his voice. "Bye, I love you." I say quickly and he is silent.

"Come on!" the voice is louder and I know I can't wait forever for him to say it back. Instead I hang up and place my phone back in my bag.

"I'm almost done, one minute!" I shout back and pull my knickers up. I pull my dress down again and attempt to stand, I flush the toilet, grab my bag and open the door.

"Thank fuck." the tall woman smiles and pushes past me, pulling up her dress before she even closes the door.

I laugh and head to the mirrors, wiping my eyes quickly. A large smile covers my face and I can't stop it, Spencer's voice has completely soothed me. I am happy again for the first time in two weeks.

"JJ!" Alex calls my name when I enter the bar again. "I thought you'd left!" she shouts over the music and I laugh at her. "Are you ok?" She asks while pulling at my cheeks, obviously talking about my smile.

"I spoke to Spencer." I say and her smile fades.

"Oh JJ-"

"No Alex, everything was fine. We didn't argue and I- I heard him laugh." I'm completely aware I sound like an obsessed teen, but I don't care.

Her smile returns and she rubs her hand up and down my arm. "If you're happy." she states and grabs my hand, pulling me toward the bar.

We have at least three more drinks, each. "Where's Jake?" I finally ask, realising I haven't seen him since he went to greet Mr Anderson.

"Well, it turns out Andy's sister is quite the treat..." she laughs and my eyes scan the room, eventually finding the beautiful woman.

"I can see what all the fuss is about." I smile and Blake laughs again.

"It's girls like her that give me no hope." she jokes and I completely agree. Why would a man be interested in me if there's women like her on this planet? "Oh shut up!" she swats me and I frown.

"What?" I question her violence and she laughs out loud.

"Why would you have to be self conscious? Have you looked in the mirror lately? You're one of the most beautiful, humble women I've ever met. There's not many like you around these days, most pretty women are right up their own arses."

I laugh loudly at her comment and she smiles widely. "Thanks, you're not so bad yourself." I say and flick my hair over my shoulder, giving her the snobbiest look I can muster. We both fall into fits of laughter and Jake joins us again.

"Oh, here's Prince Charming himself." Alex states and Jake sighs. "What's wrong?" she smiles, embarrassment clear on Jakes face. He's obviously been knocked back.

"She's not a meat eater." he smirks and Alex almost cries laughing, slapping his arm as she gasps for breath in between her loud outbursts. Jakes eyes move to me, he's also laughing.

"What?" I frown, not getting the joke at all.

"She's gay JJ!" Alex manages to say and I almost choke on my drink, finally understanding Jake's insulting joke.

"That's the bosses sister you're talking about!" I almost shout, knowing we shouldn't be talking about her in this way.

"Well, can I just clarify..." Jake pauses while looking over at the topic of our conversation. "I still would."

Blake bursts into fits of laughter again and I can't help the short snorts coming from me.

We all gather ourselves and Blake looks behind me before grabbing Jakes arm and leading him to the dance floor. I turn to see what drove them away and find a lost Spencer scanning the whole area.

My heart literally jumps and my body tenses up, he looks so... good. He's dressed in a white shirt and black skinny jeans that hang off of his hips in the most delicious way. The top two buttons on the shirt are undone and his wispy hair looks longer. I love it. He's wearing his black and white converse completing the whole smart casual look. His frowning eyes meet mine and I finally get to see his smile again.

My breath hitches a little, he looks somewhat different? I don't even get much time to think about the man before he's standing in front of me.

"Spence?" I question and he smiles again.

"Hi jennifer."

I suddenly feel awkward and my cheeks begin to heat up. Don't blush now! I almost scream at my self and look down to the glass in my hands.

Short, but JEID IS BACK!