Chapter 41

"JJ?" His voice soft, no where near as harsh as it was two minutes ago when he spoke to Jake. I don't say anything, my mind is just focused on getting out of this situation as soon as I can. "Don't speak to me Spencer." I can't get all caught up in him again, I don't want to get stuck in his never ending trap.

I walk past him, taking long strides toward the office. The only thing that deters me is his rushed footsteps following mine. I re route and make my way to the girls toilets instead.

I push open a cubicle and find a woman sat on the toilet. "Oh my god I'm so sorry!" I half shout and she frowns while closing the door in my face. I enter the cubicle closest to the far wall and sit on the closed toilet seat. Tears threaten to make another appearance and I take in a deep breath.

If this is me just seeing his chest and hearing his voice, what am I going to be like when- I couldn't even. The tears push harder and I know that if I continue to think the way I am, they will win.

The toilet beside me flushes and I use that as a cue to exhale. It comes out as a pathetic quiver and I smack myself for it. He doesn't care. After five minutes of feeling sorry for myself I gather my thoughts and stand up.

I check my face in the mirror and dab beneath my eyes with a tissue before leaving the restroom. When I reach the corridor that leads to the offices Spencer is no longer there. I take a few steps forward and come to a sharp halt when I walk into someone. "Mr Anderson, I'm so sorry." His coffee is now covering his crisp white shirt. He pinches at it while sucking in deep breaths. "Shit." I begin to wipe it with the tissue I previously wiped my eyes with, but it just makes things worse. Little white baubles fall off and stick to the wetness, creating a brown and white bubbly mess. His hands wrap around mine, removing them from his chest.

I've just harassed and assaulted my boss. I knocked coffee up his shirt, burning him. I wiped it down with a dirty tissue and then swore at him. I'm going to get sacked.

I look up in an attempt to read the situation, I'm no where near as good at this as Emily is, how does she do it? "I'm so, so sorry." I panic and he smiles at me, his fingers still wrapped around my wrists. "It's fine Jennifer, I have a spare one in my office." The idea of him changing his shirt behind that door causes me to blush and he laughs while letting go of my arms. "Are you ok? You look a little-"
"I'm fine. I'm just having a bad day." I lie and his shoulders relax. "How about you go home, I'm sure Jake wouldn't mind covering for you." he winks and I smile again for the first time since I left the elevator.

Just as he begins to smile Jake leaves the coffee room and makes his way in our direction. "Speak of the devil." he smiles and Jake frowns slightly. "Why are you both looking at me like that?" he asks when he stops in front of us. "Jennifer was just wondering if you would cover her for the rest of the day?" Jakes eyes move to mine and I smile apologetically. "She's not feeling too good." The boss finishes and Jake smirks. "Ooh, she's not feeling to good?" he takes a sip from his coffee mug and Mr Anderson nods before entering his own office.

"You little minx, you." he laughs and nudges my arm. "Flirting with the boss and getting the rest of the day off?" We begin to walk. "If I would have known you'd dump your work on me, I wouldn't have bought you that drink earlier." he teases as we reach the office I work in. "I'm sorry I just-"
"It's fine JJ, I can take it. I have hardly any work anyway, being the bosses best friends son and all." he boasts and then places his hand on my shoulder.

I can feel Spencer's eyes on us and I don't want Jakes hand to move. I want to make Spencer jealous. "Thanks jake." I say and finish with a quick peck to his cheek. His eyes lighten for a moment and he smiles his bright smile again before heading into his block of offices on the opposite side of the corridor.