Chapter 10

The next morning is frantic. I'm super hungover and I'm due at work in just 30 minutes. I pull on my baggier black jeans, a shirt and tie and my warm blue cardigan. By the time I've put on my odd socks and converse I have just 20 minutes left. I can't afford any distractions, I need to get to work as soon as I can.

When I open my door, Jennifer has just finished locking hers. She looks up and smiles that stupid, dumb smile that makes me forget I can't fall in love with her. "Don't think because my friends like you, I like you." Her smile fades and I make my way down the hall.

"Erm, Spencer?" Her voice causes me to stop where I am. I hear fast footsteps while I wait for her to catch up with me. When she reaches my side, I proceed toward the stairs. "Your socks are in your pants." I stop again and look down. Great. Just fucking great. "Cheers." I pull them out and look at her pretty little face. "You can fuck off now." She frowns a little and I button up the three buttons on my cardigan. I then walk at my normal pace, that just happens to be too fast for Jennifer's short legs and take two steps at a time. leaving her behind.

I need her to leave me alone, but I want her to continue trying to speak to me. I'd be lying to myself If i said I don't appreciate seeing her almost everyday. I'd also be lying to myself if I said we'd work, that I could make her fall in love with me and we'd be happy. We wouldn't. I couldn't. Not after Maeve, I can't deal with something like that again.

When I reach my work place, I check in a few minutes late. Alex greets me with a few tuts and I sit behind my desk. "So Reid, what was it last night? You slept with another random girl or you got drunk again." I laugh and lean back in my spiny chair. "Fuck off Blake." She smiles and faces her computer. "I have another tricky crossword puzzle here..." She places her hand on a book next to her. "Care to join me for lunch?" She swivels to face me again. "I need a fellow genius to crack this one." She smiles as I agree and we both get to the work we're supposed to be doing.

***

"See you tomorrow." I thank Alex as I climb out of her car and onto the pavement. "See you Reid." She drives off and I enter the apartment building.

When I reach the top of the stairs Emily is leaving Jennifer's apartment. "Spencer, where did you get off to last night? JJ was almost worried." She smiles and I swing my door open. "I was tired." She laughs. "I know why you left early." I turn to face her and she smiles again. "Well, I'll see you when I see you Reid." She heads down the hall and takes a turn to the stairs.

She doesn't have the slightest clue. I wish people would stop pretending like they know me, especially Jennifer Jaraeu and Emily Prentiss.

A week later: JJ POV

"JJ come on!" Emily's voice chimes through my phone. "It'd be a nice night out?" I laugh at the thought of last time she said we'd have a nice night out. I met Will.

"Emily he hates me." I don't even have to say his name, she'll know who I'm on about. "I'm sure he doesn't hate you, he's just... Rude?" I laugh again at her remark and she joins me. "You don't know him em, I'm pretty sure he definitely hates me."
"I don't care what you say JJ, I'm picking you up at 8. Make sure you're ready." She hangs up and I slouch on my sofa. I don't know why we've been invited on their little trip, I guess Spencer's friends really do like us?

***
When I finish in the shower I hear a knock at the door, still in my towel I answer. "Hey erm, Jennifer." Spencer removes himself from the wall he was first leaning on and leans on my door frame instead. Moving his eyes up and down my body he surprisingly stutters and makes eye contact.

"Will you just call me JJ, Please?" He looks at the ground. I hate that he's the only person that doesn't call me JJ, I'm so used to it now, my actual name sounds... Strange. "Ok... JJ." His frown deepens for a moment and he looks back up.

We're both silent for a few more minutes and he meets my eyes. "Morgan told me you're joining us on our little trip tonight?" He leans in closer to me. "Well I didn't actually say that-" he cuts me straight off. "I'd just like you to know I don't sleep with my neighbours." His breath is hot on my face and he smirks.

"I wasn't actually expecting us to-"
"JJ, don't you know a joke when you hear one?" His smirk grows and he steps back again. I can feel the redness creeping up my cheeks as he heads back into my apartment. How can he turn up to my door, so flustered when he sees me, but so rude when he speaks?

I head back into my apartment and turn the TV channel to my favourite show, Quantico.

***
After watching five whole episodes of Quantico, I realise it's 7pm and I haven't packed my things. I rush into my room and grab a few prices of clothing. We're going on a camping trip so I doubt I'll need anything nice.

Once I've finished stuffing jumpers and jeans into my bag I hear a knock at my door. "Spencer?" He looks up and sticks his large hands into his pockets. "I figured I'd wait with you for everyone?" He forces a smile and walks past me into my living room.

He turns around a little, observing the room before awkwardly taking a seat. "You're gonna need a sleeping bag too... JJ." He points at the bulging bag on the sofa beside him. Spencer is fully equipped with a bag and sleeping bag so I know he's not pulling some random trick.

I pull my sleeping back from the cupboard I keep my bed sheets in and try my hardest to get it in a bag. "Need help?" Spencer's voice scares me an I turn to face the tall man in the doorway. I don't know how long he's been stood there, but I sure hope it wasn't long.

He joins me on the side of my bed and opens up my sleeping bag. I stand back a little and he begins to fold it. I watch in amusement when he attempts to kneel on it and shove it in the bag at the same time. He's unsuccessful and it unfolds itself on his lap. "Are you fucking kidding me?" He lays back, sprawled across my bed the way Emily was last weekend. "I reckon we should just leave the bag and shove it in the car." He raises his hand in the air and let's it flop onto his forehead. "I agree." He grunts in approval and stands again. Just as we're leaving my room, Emily, Morgan and Garcia enter my apartment. Each of them smiles as if they know something and Spencer's frown re appears.