Chapter Fifty-Three

LISA

"Why does it take so long?" I ask, walking back and forth in front of the hospital room that Jennie, her mom, and mine have been inside for nearly an hour now. They discuss how Jennie could conceive my baby as soon as possible.

After a month of her opening up to me about how her dad left her family and the terrifying feeling that she is afraid of me doing the same, I can say that she is much better now. That's why we decided to tell our parents about our decision a week after that. And boy, my dad has been so thrilled about that.

Suddenly, I feel a hand on mine preventing me from walking further. "Lisa, the doctor needs to check your wife's health and other stuff as well to make sure that she is healthy and good enough to conceive your baby. So, please be patient." My dad sighs. I know he's also worried about my wife, but the impatient one shouldn't advise the other impatient to be patient, right?

"Dad, don't tell me to be patient because as far as I can remember, you gave us one month to-"

He holds up one hand to stop me from talking and asking me to sit beside him, "Sit down, daughter. I don't want to talk about it anymore. After all, you and I will be equally happy if you have a kid. Or, you might be much happier than me. Who knows?" He scoffs.

"I know. I will be the happiest person out there. It's my wife who has my baby." I fire back, still anxious about the checkup process and any of those things I have no idea about. "I am just worried, dad." He pats my shoulder, smiling at me with his dimples dipped in his cheeks. "She'll be okay." He grins proudly before continuing, "Also, I am waiting to see my daughter the most delighted and luckiest person out there as well."

Even though his suggestion or rather a demand happens so fast, deep down I know he just wants us to be a complete family. He knows how much I love kids because I was growing up alone and always got jealous when I saw other kids playing around with their siblings or even bickering with each other.

Luckily, my parents, especially dad raised me up to become a strong person, a person who craves knowledge and possesses a good mindset that doesn't care much about anything she doesn't have and uses that opportunity to help someone else who is in need. That's another reason I adore Ella.

"Thanks a lot, dad." I give him a smile back before Jennie, her mother and mine come out of the room, looking a little sad so that's my cue to run to Jennie's side. "What's wrong?" She looks at me with guilt, and I don't even know what the fuck does she feel guilty about.

I turn to my mom as she shakes her head, "Nothing to worry about, Lisa." I curve my brow up, not really believing it. Because if everything is okay, Jennie is not supposed to be upset and came out along with my mom and hers since she needs to get some more advice from the doctor, and she needs to be checked up a few more times that requires only her and the female doctor in the room.

Unless-

"I couldn't conceive the baby." Jennie mumbles against my chest as she clutches my jacket, desperate not to release it. My body goes numb, but not from the news. My heart breaks rather because of the sight of Jennie.

She needn't worry, though because I am always on her side. I won't leave her no matter what.

"It's okay, Jennie." I kiss her forehead, having my arms around her.

"Honey, the doctor just told us that you are not able to do that now. It's not going to be forever. You guys have a lot of time together." My mom assures me again, and I don't know what to believe now, so when I see the previous doctor who checked her up, I call her. "Excuse me, can I ask about the information earlier?" She nods before walking towards us.

She glances at Jennie then starts talking. "Jennie, your wife, I believe. She can't conceive a baby now since she is too weak to do so. And, don't worry too much about it because that doesn't mean she won't, in the future. We just want to make sure that she is robust enough to have a healthy baby." I exhale in relief before hugging Jennie tightly. "You heard that, Jennie? You are just too weak right now."

"It's normal for a woman to feel anxious about that, but no worries. Just take good care of yourself. Do exercises and eat healthily. Six months or a year later, you'll get a cute baby to play with." The doctor jokes before she bids us goodbye and leaves us.

Dad gets up and gives Jennie a hug as well. "It's okay, Jennie. Don't stress yourself so much. Dad loves you and everyone including this monkey loves you." We laugh a bit as Dad takes mom and Jennie's mom back, telling me that I need some time alone with her. So, I agree.

As soon as we arrive home, I carry her to our room. She's weak and kind of underweight. I can tell because she is too thin in my arms and light as well. "Jennie, can you stop worrying?" I lay her on the bed, wiping her remaining tears. I know she is a bit emotional because she might afraid that I will leave her because she can't bear my child, but that will never happen.

"What if there's no six months or even years. What if I can't still do-"

I grab her face, turning her to me. "No what-ifs. Even if you couldn't do it, it's still okay." She brushes my hand away, glaring at the ceiling. "How is it okay when your wife can't do her duty properly."

That really makes me angry when she doesn't believe in me or even in herself. She is worried too much because she's just too weak. The doctor had already assured. "Jennie, that's called nonsense and anxiety. You heard the doctor. Please, believe in yourself." These past few weeks, I had allowed her to work, but not from today on. I need to make sure that she is okay both mentally and physically before she can go out without me.

My mandu is fragile right now.

She turns the other side of the bed, ignoring my words. I close my eyes, calming down a bit before hugging her from behind. My face is against her neck as I tighten my grip on her waist. From here, I can feel that she's crying, so I pour all my love at once, hoping that she would understand me. "The world can be dark, Jennie. And cruel. And uncertain. What really matters is we face it together. Jennie Kim, I love you and I won't leave you even if the world collapses."

I love you, too.

I smile widely at the precious words I hear my wife mumbles before she falls asleep.