Chapter Four

JENNIE

I am waiting for Lisa to come back home as I sit in the dining room with a ton of food on the table. I intend to make her eat with me because I want to see her face when she realizes that I can cook and be her wife. I smile at the stupid cringy thought.

I yawn a few times before looking at the clock in shock when I see it's already ten o'clock, and my wife hasn't come back home yet. I have actually tried to call her a few times already, but she didn't pick up, and the call always went to voicemail.

Suddenly, the door is open as I literally rush to the entrance to see Lisa with an exhausted face. Her hair is messy, and her blouse with a few buttons open up at the top. "Lisa, what's wrong?"

She sighs heavily, seeing my face as if I were just her maid or even worse than that since she doesn't even want to acknowledge me at all. "I am tired. I need to take a shower now and go to sleep."

"But you haven't eaten yet, right? Have you eaten my lunch that I-"

"I have already eaten dinner. You don't need to wait, or even make lunch for me anymore because I don't need it. I can eat by myself." She utters before pacing to the bedroom as I grab her hand, making Lisa glares at my hand annoyedly.

I release her hand slowly before answering, "Eat with me, please. I haven't eaten anything yet. I was waiting for you."

"If I eat with you now, will you stop waiting for me? Stop making lunch or anything I don't ask for." She goes inside our bedroom as tears fall down my face. I was wrong. I am wrong. Lisa Manoban will never like me. It is my mistake to think that she is in love or even like me a little bit.

I wipe my tears furiously at the stupid me who is good at school, but so stupid at that simple thing that I should have known since the very beginning.

Heading to the table, I sit on the chair, staring at the table with the foods I made, smiling bitterly.

Pathetic.

Pathetic Jennie.

Better name!

I laugh before going to the couch without eating anything. I grab my oversized shirt on the chair, covering my body from coldness. I don't want to go inside to see the scowl on Lisa's face. She hates me, and I hate that she shows it to me. Biting my lips to stop thinking, I try to close my eyes, forcing myself to sleep.

"Don't leave! Please, dad. Please, please!"

"Jennie, Jennie..."

"Don't!"

"Jennie!" Lisa shouts at the top of her lungs as I sit bolt upright, flinging myself in Lisa's arms. I feel her tense, but I embrace her tighter, feeling her warmth, her flesh makes me calm down. Usually, Taehyung is the one I run to whenever I have that nightmare.

When I feel she doesn't say anything, I pull away, looking at my hands, mumbling embarrassedly at my action. "S-sorry, I don't mean to act like that."

"Why don't you go to sleep in our bedroom?"

"I want to sleep here. It's okay, Lisa. No worries." I am about to sleep again when she stops me by grabbing my hands. "Go to sleep in the room. It's cold here."

"You are tired. Go to sleep. You need to work tomorrow, Lisa."

Suddenly, my stomach growls loudly as Lisa stares at me in confusion. "What's it?"

"You didn't eat?" ​​​​​She asks, frowning at me.

"I wasn't hungry."

"Let's eat."

"It's two o'clock now," I say, looking at the clock hanged on the wall.

"Come on," She says with determination as I have no choice but to follow her.

"You made all of these?" She asks, curving her brow up as I nod slightly.

"Sit," She takes a chair for me like a gentlewoman she is before I occupy, feeling tears on my cheeks as I wipe it again. I don't even get over the nightmare, and I really have no appetite to do anything. It has been a long time, but it feels like yesterday.

"Eat," Lisa places a plate in front of me, and another one in front of her.

"You don't need to eat because of me, you know," I say, still not looking at her.

"I am hungry too. That's why I came here since the first place." She says.

I look at her eyes without uttering another word. In fact, I know that she came to me because I was shouting and trembling like a little kitten, not because she is hungry though.

"I am sorry," I gaze back at the plate.

"You didn't do anything wrong. Why always said sorry, huh?"

When I don't react, she sighs loudly before continuing, "Look at me, if someone is wrong here, I am the one. I am sorry that I couldn't eat with you when you did this for me." I turn back to her, seeing her pointing at the table.

"I am an ungrateful wife, aren't I?" She smiles, making me smile as well.

"You are not."

"Let's eat! I am hungry. Look at these mouthwatering foods." She says before devouring the food as if she hasn't eaten anything for a year.

I grin as she scowls at me again when she notices my looks as I bite my bottom lip and start to eat like nothing happens.

After a while, we finish. "Go to sleep in the bedroom. I will sleep here. We have a few more hours to sleep."

"Can you sleep with me? I am a little bit scared."

She doesn't say anything, so I agree, "Okay, I'll go sleep alone."

When I am about to walk away, she replies, "Okay, I'll sleep with you since I don't want to be cold to die here." She says, hurrying to the bedroom as I bite my lips, preventing myself from smiling any wider.

I slip under the thick blanket beside her, feeling my favorite warmth.