Chapter Forty-Six

LISA

After recovering from what I have declared, V, as well as his mother, smiles in satisfaction, of course, while my parents give me a proud one that appeared on their faces as they have never thought I would never be committed to someone, especially to Jennie whom I claimed that I had no feelings for.

I glance at Jennie as her eyes gleam with some tears, and something tells me that she finally opens and takes me in like before. I squeeze her hand under the table, giving the silent assurance that all I want her to know and see is the truth from the bottom of my heart.

"Alright!" My dad clears his throat, catching our attention before putting his napkin after wiping his mouth on the table, still wearing his knowingly smile looking at my mom and my in-laws as if they have planned something that I don't know.

Turning to look at him, I try my best to guess what his plan is, but he cuts me off with a smirk. "Actually, we invited you guys here not only for a family dinner but also to know how your marriage goes, and since Lisa, the best daughter of mine, has expressed the passion, love, affection, devotion, and all the stuff we need to make sure they have for each other, our mission is completed, so let's talk about the most important part,"

"Dad, that's the whole presentation of the production you gave us there. Please, cut it short," I hiss. His teasing tone tells me that something is really up to them. "Well, calm down." He grins. I grit my teeth before nodding, "Spill the tea, dad. I am impatient already,"

"We invited you hear-"

"Dad, please make it short!"

He utters in a serious tone with a slight excitement, "We want children." All of us go silent, waiting for my reaction, and some sort of answer. I frown, turning to him and mom, "You can. Even if you are old, I don't care if you give me a little brother or sister. It's okay, dad." I touch his arm, comforting him.

Dad scowls at me as if I were some sort of monster as mom and Jennie's brother laugh, making me more confused.

"I want children. Grandchildren to be specific, Lalisa Manoban." My hand slowly slides from his arm. As soon as he said it, I know that he is not the one who needs comfort here, and at the moment I need some sort of explanation, obviously. "What were you thinking? Don't make a joke, dad." I try to laugh it off, but it comes out as a shudder.

He shakes his head, indicating that I am in some sort of trouble right now. Dad is a kind of persistent man, and if he wants something, sooner or later he'll get it.

It's not that the idea of Jennie bearing my own children is awful. It's beautiful and phenomenal, of course, but we are still young. The fact that I am still courting and haven't spent much time doing it makes me feel not so good about it.

We are not up to that level yet, and dad doesn't even care if that idea scares Jennie away from me. In fact, I am terrified right now to see Jennie's face, but I do it anyway. She seems shocked and afraid as well, but she doesn't say anything. Of course, she won't. The good daughter image she has; I could understand, but not for me. If she is not good with it, I won't do it even if this is the first time that I make my dad upset about me.

"We aren't prepared for them yet," I finally say my thought.

My parents' faces turn from happy and delighted to instantly sad and sour. "Lisa, we are old. Isn't it one of the reasons why both of you got married? To establish a good and cozy place to live and to build a small beautiful family to be with?" He states dreamingly, but it still doesn't convince me anyways.

"We need some more times. I want Jennie to feel comfortable with me first." I argue. The foods I consume suddenly feels plain, and the tension is clearly visible now. Dad scoffs as if what I was talking about doesn't mean anything at all. "I am sure Jennie will agree about this because she loves you, and we all should agree with that, right?" Clearly, everyone knows that Jennie loves me even before we got married, and the stupid old me wouldn't believe and assume otherwise. Now, it's different because I want to make it right for both of us.

Unfortunately, they don't make it easy for us right now. As everyone waits for Jennie's clarification, I anticipate her response, hoping that she would tell dad the truth that we need more time to work on it. On our relationship, before we could go any further.

But the unexpected answer catches me off guard. "Yeah, dad." I close my eyes, hearing her call my dad 'dad' because I don't pay enough attention to this old man to know since when and how he has manipulated my wife into having grandchildren for him.

I whip my head to see Jennie's awkward smile at my dad, and I instantly know that she avoids our eye contact intentionally. "No. She isn't prepared for it, yet. Please understand, dad."

His scowl grows bigger this time. "You haven't heard what your wife said, or you simply don't understand, Lalisa."

Geez, he is so stubborn. Don't get me wrong, I love him so much, but when he gets so persistent about my personal decision, I kind of dislike it. I get up, taking Jennie's hand with me.

"Sorry, we have to leave now."

"Lisa!" Dad shouts, but I couldn't have stopped if I wanted to. I won't allow anyone to make Jennie do something she doesn't want to. She has the right to choose even if my dad hates me or whatever. I know he will get over it soon, though.

Before we even arrive at the door, dad talks again in a firm and serious tone he used to have a great effect on me when I was young, "I give the both of you a month to decide, especially you Lisa. I know you are the pain in the ass in this matter, but I won't allow it anyway."

From afar, I hear his telling my mom something that makes me even more frustrated and agitated.

"Honey, tell Dr. Lee that they won't go to meet him tomorrow. Next month, they will, and I will be the one to drag my daughter myself if I had to."

I sigh, still grabbing Jennie's hand with me as we leave.

Have dinner prepared.

Ask us about having kids.

I don't even fucking know that he has already appointed the doctor for us.

Getting everything that he wants and prepares it so well!

That really sounds like my dad, but in the worst version I have ever seen.