Chapter Eight

JENNIE

Unexpectedly, today I've got to work in my best friend's company without having to apply a CV or doing an interview.

A perk of having a best friend.

After I have told her everything about me and Lisa, she was about to call the cops to arrest Lisa for making me hurt, but I told her not to do so because it was also my fault.

Today, after working for the first day, we went to have lunch together in the restaurant that belonged to her older brother. Their family is so wealthy that they own many businesses in Seoul. Not to mention, they are so kind, and I am lucky that I have known them.

Irene and I, we met each other back in high school before I was going to New Zealand to pursue my degree, but we always kept in touch no matter how much both of us busy. That's why she is still the best buddy I have.

I smile as I enter the house after glancing at my watch to see that it is already twenty past eight. I have eaten dinner with Irene and her brother in his restaurant since we haven't talked much this afternoon. I don't want to eat something for free, but they insisted, saying they wouldn't be poor even if I called my whole family to eat there every day.

Moreover, I am not sure where to eat anyways.

I switch the light on before my eyes literally come out of the sockets because the figure sitting on the couch looking at me as if I were some prey out there. "You scared me," I utter before pacing to grab a glass of water.

"As I said, the outside world still sees you as my wife, so please at least be more considerate to me. I don't want anybody to call me an idiot, having a wife touring around with any man."

I try my best to hold the glass tightly after hearing what she has said. "What the hell are you trying to imply? I go to work, and I am ensuring you that I won't do anything that makes any of us ashamed."

She laughs dryly, catching me off guard at her attitude. Her expression is inscrutable. Her eyes shoot at me without a blink. "Are you sure? You think I am dumb enough to believe a woman like you? You are just a wolf in a rabbit skin!" She gets up, walking slowly to me as I am so stupefied right now at her words or more like an accusation.

"See? You can't even find a word to defend yourself. Am I that right, huh? I wonder what my mother will say if I am telling her how good her daughter in law is." She smirks, gripping her phone inside her pocket before dialing her mother.

"Tell her everything from the beginning, then." I snap.

She stops, glaring at me before I continue. "Tell her that you don't love me, and now we are separated."

"So, that is the excuse to make you act like a whore without anyone blaming you?"

At that word, my hand flies unconsciously to her cheek with the nasty sound I have ever made. She looks at me as I see a hard print of my hand on her skin. The skin I always adore, and now I hit it. I am about to say sorry when her next sentence cuts me off again.

"I won't tell her. Don't worry! Just so you know if I have a few women around me, you also don't have the right to be upset as well."

"I don't fucking understand right now, Lisa Manoban! What am I gone wrong? Care to explain more,"

"I won't. You know who you are." After that, she stomps to her room, leaving me with shock and confusion, and pain.

Heaving a deep sigh, I go to my room, trying my best to fall asleep.

---

"Morning, Jennie."

I glance to see Mr. Yang smiling at me as I pace towards him. "Mr. Yang, this is yours." I hand him his breakfast before frowning a little in bewilderment when he takes it and climbs on the car and about to drive off. "Wait, Mr. Yang. Where is Lisa?"

He curves his brow up in confusion before answering, "Oh, she just told me that she is not feeling well today. Tsk, this kid. She never stops even a day since she started working as a CEO. I'll bet it will rain today." He laughs before I nod, driving away from me.

Going back to the house, I carefully enter her bedroom to see her sleeping on her bed peacefully as I place my hand on her forehead to feel her heat.

She is really sick. Her temperature is so high. I put down my purse before running to the kitchen to prepare some food and a towel and a small container with warm water.

I take off her blanket from her body when she opens her eyes in shock. My eyes land on her spot bras and shorts and abs. She sits up instantly, seizing the sheet back to cover hers. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

I roll my eyes at her rude question, "You are sick, and I am here to wipe your body. It will help to reduce your hot temperature." I simply sit on the bed.

"Go away, I don't need you."

"I know." I mutter, "But, I don't want to keep you here alone. It's not safe to be on your own when you are sick."

"I don't care!" She shouts, turning away, acting like a petulant kid. I don't know she has that behavior possessed.

"I care!" The moment the stupid words leave my mouth, I know that I can't take it back, so I look away, putting the towel down on her hands. "Wipe yourself, I will prepare the porridge for you."

I literally bolt to the kitchen when I hear Lisa laughing at my embarrassment.

Stupid monkey.