Chapter Ten

JENNE

I come back home to hear a loud squeal in the dining room, and the thing is the voice doesn't belong to her. I know her voice. And, she doesn't do squealing.

Stepping inside the room, I see Lisa and a young female kid laughing together while watching a movie on a big flat screen.

"Ella, you look like a wrestler than a spider man." Lisa teases the young lady in amusement while the kid sulks at her.

Actually, I am standing at the door, so they don't see me. I come here just to make sure Lisa is okay, and go back. But when I witness their interaction, I have no gut to leave.

Suddenly, the kid glances at my way, seeing me as she gets up, running to grab my hand, "You must be Lisa unnie's wife. I am sorry I can't join your wedding,"

Lisa's face becomes shocked at the girl's behavior towards me, and I do feel stunned too. Anyways, I smile, kneeling to fit with her height. "What is your name?"

"Ella, how about you?" She asks in curiosity.

"Oh, your unnie didn't tell you?" I ask, acting hurt when she looks at Lisa in annoyance. "You didn't tell me."

"You didn't ask," Lisa replies back, looking uninterested.

When her unnie doesn't utter anything, she starts, "Don't worry, unnie. If she doesn't care about you, I will." She giggles at her silly manner.

The girl is so young and adorable. At this young age, she is so brilliant, and I wonder who she is to Lisa when the latter never mention her before. Again, we are not closed, so she doesn't have to tell me everything about her and her people, and I am not hers.

I sigh heavily at the thought as I try to brush away the thought I dislike.

"Unnie, why are you so sad?" She asks again. This time, Lisa turns to look at the girl and me, but I don't give her the satisfaction to look back.

"Nothing, I am just tired from work. Maybe, I could have a shower and come back. Have you eaten yet?" I caress her cheek.

"No, I haven't." She pouts. She is so cute. No wonder Lisa adores so much.

"Alright, I'll go now. Fifteen minutes, I will be back."

"Ella, what do you want to eat? I can order. You don't need to bother her." Lisa's statement makes me feel upset, but I don't show her because her words shouldn't affect me anymore. We are not together.

"I want her to cook for me," Ella beams at me. I guess she doesn't understand the adults' argument yet.

"Unnie, you are so gorgeous. That's why unnie chooses you to be her wife."

"Ella!" Lisa shouts at her as the latter scowls at her reaction. "Come here," Lisa then softens her voice before the girl walks to her as she makes her sit on her laps. "I am just afraid you are hungry; you know. Nothing is really big of a deal."

"You are angry," Ella pulls back, looking straight into her eyes. And, I stand there, not knowing what to do.

"Why? I am not."

"You shout, and people shout when they are angry or annoyed." She looks like she is about to cry when Lisa pulls her closer, kissing her hair. "I am not angry, Ella. I am sorry if I make you feel that. Some people don't know how to express their feeling well. Just bear with me, okay?" She says as the girl hugs her and snuggles in her neck. Then, Lisa looks at me in the eyes.

She wants to tell me something, but I don't know what to expect. Maybe, I am just imagining something. Her words are for Ella. Not for me.

"Okay, Ella. You can eat with your unnie. She may be afraid you are starving, so don't wait for me. Tell her what you want to eat, okay?" I force a smile before walking away, but her voice cuts me off, "Unnie, you haven't told me your name, yet."

I turn back, curving my lips up at her persistence, "Jennie,"

"Jennie unnie, you are beautiful."

"You too," I mouth back, pacing to my room to take a shower.

Suddenly, my phone buzzes, indicating that I have a message.

Kai: You forgot your purse in your office.

Me: Oh,

Kai: Irene asked me to take it to you in case you need something.

Me: No, it's okay. Luckily, I have my phone with me right now.

This evening, I was in a hurry to come home since Lisa was alone and sick. That's why when I took my phone to reply to Lisa's best friend, who used her phone to message to me that he would leave in the afternoon since he had to work, I left my purse on the desk in my office.

Five minutes later, another flashlight. I glance at the message.

Kai: I am here in front of your house. Come take it.

I run to the window of my room to see Kai waving at me with a smile on his face before I climb down the stair to the gate to see him leaning on his car.

"Kai, you don't need to do that. It's almost midnight now."

"Nah, you know my sister Irene, Jennie. I can't refuse this girl when she wants something. Moreover, I just came back from my restaurant, and it's on this way to my house. Never know that you live here." He points at the small cozy mansion I live in.

"Don't you think it's too much to meet each other this late at night." Lisa's voice spits out with anger. I can feel that even if my back faces her.

Kai widens his eyes in shock. "Oh, I just come here to take this to her," He gives me my purse before he bids goodbye and drives off immediately when he senses that it's not the right time to get to know my wife.

"I just-"

"Come inside," She utters in monotone as I have no choice but to follow her.

I sigh, thinking about what will happen next.