Chapter Forty-Three

JENNIE

Lisa told me that she would fetch me from work a little bit late since she has to take Ella from school, and then we would go to our house together. Because this is Friday, she wants the girl to spend some time with us. Lisa also assures me that Somi won't be there even though I don't ask about her and never will. She doesn't have to tell me anyways. She can if she wants to, and I have no right to deny it.

Okay, I take it back!

I don't want her to come along because what I have learned since we have met is that we are not fond of each other, and you know the reason.

Fifteen minutes past as Lisa messages me to come down and wait for her in the driveway; she nearly arrives. I walk down the stairs slowly when I notice that Irene and Seulgi are still here talking to each other in front of the accountant department. "Oh hi, Jennie." Seulgi is the first one to see me as she waves, greeting me. Therefore, I move forward to the both of them, "Irene, Seulgi, you guys haven't done yet?"

Irene smiles as she hands Seulgi some files, "We have some more works to discuss, and now we finished it already. Jennie, do you want to go with us? We'll have dinner together," Irene suggests, but I shake my head in decline. "I have to leave now. Lisa might already be waiting for me right now," I have no desire to be the third wheel of my friend even if I were not busy, though.

After being a significant partner of Irene's company, Seulgi always takes care of Irene, and I have to admit that they both look cute together. Even though they just knew each other for a few months, their chemistry is noticeable. I am really happy for my friend.

"Tell Lisa, I am saying hello, okay?" Seulgi utters as I leave after nodding in agreement with a polite smile before bidding them goodbye.

"Unnie!" Ella shouts from inside the car as Lisa rolls the window down. The girl looks so happy and excited to meet me. I wave back at her as she beams at me. Her smile is wide and authentic. By the look of her, I can tell that Ella likes me. She's so different from her sister, Somi. Somi doesn't like me much because when she sees me her eyes are full of bitterness and anger, but I can't tell this to Lisa. It might upset her.

Lisa rushes to open the door of the shotgun seat for me as I look at the rearview mirror to see Ella holding a box of ice cream and a full bag of snacks. "Unnie, this is yours. Lisa unnie told me that this is your favorite one," She hands me milk-flavored ice cream as I take it in satisfaction.

I am contented that she remembers my favorite flavor, and this time is not because whatever you have thought of. She doesn't taste it from my mouth. I told her when I was at the hospital. My cheeks burn at the thought of my favorite smoothie, and how she knows it. Oh god, it's so embarrassing, thinking about that.

"Unnie, is it okay if I am staying at your house for a night?" Ella asks as Lisa sits in the driver seat before igniting the engine, driving off. "What are you asking Ella? You are staying with us tonight," Lisa smiles at the polite girl.

The more I spend time with this girl, the more I love her. "No, Lisa unnie. I want to make sure that I won't bother you two since you are just married, and maybe you need some time to-"

"Ella, stop!" Lisa cuts her off. "What are you going to say?" She asks immediately, glancing at me before at Ella through the mirror.

"Unnie, you cut me off. How can I finish my sentence?" She sighs, petulantly before continuing, "Jennie unnie, I am sorry if I am bothering you guys,"

I turn to her, not expecting Ella to feel like that, "What makes you think that way? You never bother me," I smile, assuring her as Lisa looks at us with an amusing grin on her face. "Actually, you even help me kill my boredom because we will have fun together, right?" I ask.

She gives me a wide smile, showing her beautiful white teeth that I admire her because of a big number of snacks she consumes, still she can take care of her teeth properly. "Unnie, are you implying that Lisa unnie is boring to be with?" She giggles loudly when Lisa looks at her through the rearview mirror with a-not-so-good kind of expression. "Yep!" I nod along as we burst into laughter.

Lisa's face becomes sour and sour as our voice echoes the car even though deep down, I know she really enjoys us, but she has to pretend that she doesn't like it because we tease her. "Ella, you can't say that because your unnie loves this boring person so much," She says, pointing to herself confidently as Ella and I falter our conversation.

"I know," Ella agrees. My eyes widen at the girl who is mischievously giggling.

Lisa answers proudly, "You should-"

"But you love her more, unnie." Ella laughs when Lisa's smile falls, and she shyly looks away, and the rest of the ride Lisa doesn't utter any more word to us until we arrive at the front of our destination. Lisa runs to open the gate to our house, and Ella whispers to me before Lisa comes back, "Unnie, she really loves you,"

My cheeks burn as I deny it because a kid doesn't need to know something more than adults do, right?

"Ella, you don't understand."

"Yes, I do. I am young, but I am not stupid, unnie." She leans back to her seat, leaving me to think about her statement. Am I that stupid or do I just ignore it that Lisa cares about me?

Yeah, that's the right word to put in. She cares, and it doesn't mean she loves me. I want to argue with the girl more but decide not to.

The day I learn that Lisa cares for me from a kid.

Jennie, you are really that dumb?