Draco Knows (Edited)

Nikki

  I held Nevaeh in my arms the rest of the train ride. Draco had come in after she had calmed down, wanting to know what was wrong. She pulled out of my arms and pushed him out the door screaming at him to shut up and leave her alone. I smiled at this and then gave a small smile to Draco. I knew he was hurting from finding out his sister was dead and he had witnessed it yet chose to erase the memory.

  Now Nevaeh, Ron, and I stand on the platform looking for Harry, Hermione and Ron's family. Harry and I had to go with Ron and his family then meet up with Lupin in a few days. I held Nevaeh close to me afraid she would freak out without my help.

  I saw Draco staring at us and then look away when Nevaeh lifted her head up. This was the first time since we got off the train ten minutes ago that she made any sign of feeling better.

  "Hey, you okay?" I asked.

  She nodded slowly and then saw Mrs. Weasley. "I'll be fine."

  She pulled herself out of my arms and went toward the Weasley family. Half way there Draco got in her way, "Can I talk to you, River?"

  Nevaeh looked back and me and then turned to Draco, "Only if Nikki can come with me."

  Draco nodded, wanting to talk to her, "Anything, as long as I can talk to you." Nevaeh grabbed my hand and dragged me to the side following Draco. When we were alone and no one could hear us Draco turned around and then said, "It's you, isn't it? Nevaeh?"  

  She looked at me stunned that he had figured it out. I could tell she thought I had told him but I shook my head. I knew she knew I didn't because of the vow. "How did you figure it out?"

  "So it is? It was easy once I started having the dreams. It was like at first you would appear as River and then the disguise would fall and you would become you again. Nevaeh, why did you pretend to kill yourself?"

  Nevaeh shrugged not wanting to tell her brother just exactly why it was. I looked up at Draco and sighed, "She didn't tell you because she knew you could be killed. She was protecting you." It was far from the truth but it was something he would believe. I was forbidden to tell Draco exactly why. Nevaeh had told me on the train ride here. Only other person that knew was Ron and he already knew before I did.

 "You don't get why I didn't tell Draco do you?" Nevaeh asked me as I held her. She was in her 'numbing state' as she liked to call it, just holding herself and talking with no emotion in her voice at all.

  "No, I don't, but that's okay. I don't need to know."

  She shook her head and then took in a deep breath, "Telling Draco wouldn't only have gotten him killed but it would also put him at great risk. You know how the Dark Lord is. If the Dark Lord found out that Draco knew how to block him he would have him tortured for information, so to protect him I had to have him believe that I was truly dead and to have him leave his mind wide open from the Dark Lord. My parents are ruthless, if they knew Draco was keeping something from the Dark Lord they would torture Draco themselves to find out exactly what. Plus there's the fact that Draco is close to Mum and would tell her everything even if it meant ratting me out. I just couldn't risk hurting him like that."

  I nodded at this. Now I completely understood.

  Now, standing before me, is the boy who I was madly in love with and I couldn't tell him anything.

  "Nevaeh, you know you don't have to lie to me. I know how to keep the Dark Lord out. Snape and I have been practicing for years. Snape said it was okay if I learned but not if you learned. You needed to have your mind open to the Dark Lord, why? I don't know, I never asked."

  Nevaeh nodded but then shook her head, "I don't have time to talk about this I need to get the Weasley's. Just know I do love you and I miss being your sister, but now? I'm not the sister you know. I've changed within the short months. Even if I didn't die completely, the sister you knew did."

  With that she stormed away leaving Draco and me alone, "You know you can't tell anyone, right?" I asked turning back to Draco.

  He was standing there looking after his sister who was supposed to be dead. Finally he nodded and turned to me, "I know. You know I miss kissing you, right? Alie doesn't know how to kiss like you do."

  I smiled up at my one true love, "Later. For now I got to go, I love you."

  Draco nodded, "And I love you."

  Mrs. Weasley had been in a panic trying to find Nevaeh and me. She scolded us once we got home and Harry went up to his room. All the Weasley's knew that Nevaeh was still alive and knew that Harry and Hermione didn't know. Once we walked through the door Nevaeh relaxed until Mrs. Weasley started in. Afterwards, Nevaeh sauntered up to Ron's room with Ron following. I stood there looking around the room. Finally I caught the glimpse of those brown eyes I had come to know as my safety. I went over to him and embraced him. I knew Fred from George so I never had to check.

  "Freddy!"

  "Nikkitha!"

  I glared at Fred for using my full name. He knew how much I hated it. I always introduced myself as Nikki because it sounded prettier than Nic-I-The. That's how it’s pronounced. In Nikki the last I makes an ‘E’ sound in my real name it me the ‘I’ sound. Confusing I know and so many people messed it up that I just cut it short.

  "Fred, you know I hate my real name." I said still glaring at him while he smirked.

  "And you know I hate being called Freddy."

  I smiled, "But it’s so cute!"

  Fred shook his head, "What is the world coming to? Nikki? Saying cute? Oi vay!"

  I laughed, Fred knew I rarely say cute only when I meant it, so when I did say it, it was no lie. "I miss our stupid banter."

  "Me too." Fred said pulling me close to him in a hug.

_______________________________________________________________

Sorry it’s short. I wanted to update tonight and I'm extremely tired. That and people having been annoying me for the past two hours delaying my writing. I will TRY and update tomorrow but don't hold your breathes... I have work and won’t get a day off until Friday or next week. I don't know yet. So far the next definite update is next week... Sorry people be patient and keep reading and commenting!!!! LOVE YOU ALL!!!

KyoSilvaria