Chapter 42

HAPPY DASARA :D

Yes! The chapter is a day sooner and it is dedicated to @Ky_rine :D

Pic above is of Kasey ^^^

****

" Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."

-C.S. Lewis , The Four Loves

DARYA P.O.V

It is my birthday today and I looked like a scarecrow.

Scowling at my reflection, I began using compacts and other cosmetics products to conceal the redness of my eyes and nose.

I know I will get lots of pitying looks today but I wanted none of that. I wanted to forget what had happened and just enjoy my day. His day too... No. That asshole can fall in the deepest pit of the hell!

Quillon hurt me by breaking my trust and I... what did I do? I burned his pack down. I felt thoroughly ashamed of myself as I realized what I had done to Serene. I flinched inwardly every time I recalled the cries and pleas of the pack wolves. They were literally begging me to spare them but I did not once consider it.

It was a good thing the Goddess stopped me from destroying Serene. I had vague memories of where I was yesterday at this time. After I felt myself being raised from the ground, I fell asleep. I don't know if it was dream or reality, but I dimly recall being in an open meadow where trees where dancing slightly as the gentle breeze drifted through. I recall staring at the sky blue eyes through blurry eyes. I recall hands soothing my hair. I recall a soft, musical voice gently telling me that I had done a something wrong. I was in a dizzy state at that time but I honestly felt like the voice belonged to the Goddess herself.

It felt real and I like to believe it was real.

The Goddess said something else too but I do not recall what it was. All I know was that, I was in the middle of the woods, the same place where I killed Konrad, when I opened my eyes next.

When I finally woke up, I was lying on the bed of this very room.

I stiffened the moment I heard footsteps approaching towards my room. Quickly, I hid the makeup kit and washed my hands. Lorcan pushed open my room door and barged in like a little whirlwind.

"Daroo" he said and I knelt on the ground to hug him. "Happy Birthday" he said and placed a loud kiss on my cheek, which just made my day.

"Thank-you" I said with a wide grin and kissed his nose.

I stood up as Duncan and Sel entered the room. They hugged and wished me too. "Here is your gift" Sel told me handing me a box. I knew what it contained because every year, Sel is the one who gifts me a birthday dress.

Smiling, I sat on the bed, while Lorcan stood next to me. "Want to open it" I asked and he nodded enthusiastically.

"Lorcan" Sel called in warning and pouting, he shook his head.

"Let him be" I told her and pulled the ribbon while Lorcan tore the gift wrapper. Inside the box, amidst the tissue paper was a light pink sequined one shoulder dress.

I gasped in wonderment when I saw the dress. As usual, Sel choose the best dress. "I love this" I told her and she beamed at me.

"It's a dress" Lorcan complained.