33

Day 13

Karma was lying on his back, staring at the clear blue sky from the roof of his house. Down below, at their large garden was Natsuki planting more roses. For some reason, he was annoyed that the roses weren't white.

But he wasn't coming down to tell her to plant white roses instead, because that meant talking to her. And they didn't have any servants anymore for him to order to plant the white roses he desired.

As if sensing him watching her, the mother raised her head and looked up at the roof, seeing her son looking down at her. "Karma!" She called, smiling at her son. "Come down! I could use another hand" she gestured to the roses.

Karma debated whether or not he should answer, or if should go.

Natsuki's smile wavered when she didn't hear a response from him.

She thought. "When was the last time he spoke to me willingly? Or to his father?" She was filled with dread, and her heart ached painfully. When was the last time they acted like a proper family?

She heard a cough from behind her and, spinning around and locked gazes with identical sunset, gold eyes. Karma raised a gloved hand and gestured to the tools by his foot.

Natsuki smiled at her son, excitement rushing in her veins.

However, the doorbell rang before they could get started. Karma was quick to take off his gloves and leave the garden in a hurry.

Natsuki bit her lip. If she really wanted to reconnect with her son, she would have to try even harder.

When Karma pulled open the door, he was met with Gakushū, wearing jeans, a red shirt and white jacket. "Good morning" the strawberry blonde handed him one white rose. Karma was taken aback, and barely fought the blush creeping on his face.

"We're going to the fair today" Gakushū said. "Good, I was planning on going out anyway" was Karma's answer, pulling the boy inside and going up to his room to change. He placed the rose on an empty vase and watered it.

Gakushū waited patiently in the middle of the hall, looking at the pictures again. There was one large portrait of Karma's father, the man's blue eyes intimidated him, despite it only being a picture.

"Hello" he turned around and saw Natsuki walking towards him, wearing a white dress and green apron, taking off her gloves and hat. Gakushū bowed respectfully to the woman. "Hello" he greeted back.

The woman studied him, comparing the boy to his father. "How's your old man?" She brought up.

"Um, he's okay" Gakushū replied awkwardly.

"And Masami?"

Gakushū froze at the name. "Pardon?"

"Your mother, Masami, how is she?" Natsuki frowned at the crack in the boy's voice.

"My mother died"

Natsuki's body froze, as she looked at the boy in disbelief. "She's...when did she-"

"Let's go" Karma ran down the stairs, grabbed hold of Gakushū's hand and ran out of the house, dragging the strawberry blonde with him.