23

Day 7

Karma was coughing, his face was flush and his fever was running very high. His parents weren't home, they had been called for an emergency at work and flew to america. His mother Natsuki had given him Tylenol and Ibuprofen, said a quick "I love you" and "Get well soon" before rushing downstairs after her husband.

Karma wanted to believe she wanted to stay, he wanted to believe they wanted to ditch work and take care of him instead. But he knew the truth, they didn't care. They loved their business more than their own child.

"Worthless parents" he thought angrily. "Worthless parents, I hate them" he coughed in his hand. He was hungry, and his father said there was soup downstairs. But Karma was too weak to leave the bed.

They used to have maids, but his parents said they wanted him to become more independent, and a the maids' contracts were coming to an end anyway. So when he turned 13 they sent them off with a large large sum of money and he was more alone than ever.

"I hate them" he repeated in his head. "I hate them I hate them I hate them I hate them"

Ting!

His phone lit up, a new message. He raised a weak hand and picked it up from his bedside table, lowering the screen brightness and reading the message.