:: fifty-nine ::

"i expected you to naturally be a much better driver than you actually are." dream held a hand on the steering wheel as he helped george direct the car into the parking space.

"i told you this was a terrible idea." george huffed, peering out the side window as he watched the ground.

dream let out a laugh, maybe teaching george to drive, when he could barely focus on anything other than the brunette beside him wasn't the best idea.

"c'mon." dream opened his door, stepping around to the other side of the car, and held the door open for george, waiting for the man to switch seats with him.

"i don't want to drive a car ever again, in the entirety of my life." george moved to sit in the other seat, a scowl on his face.

"you're being dramatic." dream rolled his eyes as he began adjusting the seat back from where george had set it.

george shook his head, "i'm being serious, if i ever have to drive again i'm sending myself off a cliff."

dream turned to george with a frown. "hey, don't say that, what would i do without you?"

george scoffed, "drive."

he rolled his eyes, pushing george's head to the side with the very tips of his fingers. "shut up."

"you love me."

dream stared back at george.

"and what if i do?"

he turned from dream's stare, shuffling in his seat before turning back to the blonde. "shut up."

before dream could say anything in response his phone screen lit up, revealing a message from red.

how's it going?

"red?" george looked betrayed for a total of too many minutes.

"the lady from dodgeball." dream frowned at the look on george's face.

"i know who she is, you talk to her?" he'd never seen george hold such a stone cold glare towards him. he started to analyze the situation from george's point of view. panic ensued.

"no, george, it's nothing like that. i promise, she just gives me advice sometimes." he huffed, how was he supposed to explain this without exposing himself.

"advice about what?"

"you."

george blinked back his expression, obviously not having expected that. his glare resumed, "what about me?"

"anything i can't talk to sapnap about."

george sat, processing dream's words as they bounced around in the car. "that's why she gave you her number that day, so she could give you advice?"

the universe was against him, of course george would see him get her number. "george, i promise you it's not like that, bros before hoes remember? i wouldn't lie to you."

george sighed, finally seeming to understand the situation. "...i'm sorry."

"what, why?" dream felt the need to make sure the car doors were locked, scared the timid boy would flee at any and every chance he got.

"i um." he bit through his sentence, not wanting dream to feel the extent of the emotion behind it. "he used to..." he looked up from his hands to glance at dream, regretting the decision immediately after he made it, turning back to his lap.

dream knew exactly what was happening, he'd seen his mom do the same thing before, and quite frankly he didn't want to see both the highs and lows of george in just one day. just the idea of seeing george cry sent daggers into his heart, how would he be able to handle that.

"hey." dream spoke softly trying not to frighten him. he waited for george to look up slightly before he slowly reached his hand over, giving george plenty of time to push him away. he never did. dream rested his hand on george's thigh. "it's alright."

george never looked up far enough to lock eyes with dream.

the brunette swallowed his air, "i'm sorry, i guess today just brought up memories."

dream gently squeezed his thigh. why was it that everyone he cared for had to have so many troubles. he quickly removed his sweatshirt, handing it over to george. "here."

george slowly took off his sweatshirt, opting for the fresh one, dream's scent lingering on the fabric. he seemed to calm at the warmth. george settled back into his seat and handed dream his previous sweatshirt. they swapped, both content with their side of the trade.

dream returned his hand to george's thigh, rubbing his thumb softly against george's jeans as he pulled out of the parking lot. he played the radio quietly, when george didn't seem to want to speak after that.

although he could feel the brunette under his palm, and he could glance over and see him, george felt far away, caught in his own mind. he wondered what it would be like to see every thought that passed his brain. maybe it would hurt his feelings, but he wished he knew what george wanted. he wanted to be the one to supply him.

**

dream walked george to his door, not wanting to leave without hearing his voice again. "i had fun today, thank you for coming with me. you made my day better."

george held out his arms, waiting for dream to hug him, and of course dream would never let up the opportunity. he held george tight, hoping this wouldn't be the last time he heard from the smaller man. he could feel every harbored breath george took in from tangled into his arms. he tucked his face into george's neck, needing to be closer then they ever had been before.

"you don't have to talk about it until you're ready. i'll always be here."

"thank you."

words bounced around in his mind, now felt like the perfect time to say them, but he was scared george would misinterpret his intention.

now or never.

"i love you george, honestly."

he could hear the moment george's breath caught, squeezing harder, as if it would help him know he meant it with every fiber of his being.

they hugged for a long time neither of them wanting to be the one to pull away.