:: sixty-one ::

dream and george sat in the back of the car, obviously very shaken up about the entire situation. who would've thought.

"i can't believe will, is your will."

"now i understand what you meant when you said your roommate was loud."

they stated these things into the air, faces furrowed as they tried to study the circumstances. this is not what dream expected to happen when he walked up to george's door today.

"i should've seen this coming. this is weird." he finally turned to face the brunette.

george turned back.

"yeah."

they sat for a moment, george, excited to see what his friends had planned for the day, seemed already over it. hopefully this would be his favorite birthday.

"so, what are we doing for my birthday?" moving on from the previous subject, george turned to sapnap, expecting the younger to know what was planned.

"i don't know, ask dream." sapnap shrugged as he turned into karl's driveway, pulling out his phone, most likely to let their friend know that they had arrived.

the blonde held a smile on his face when george turned around back to him.

"what did you do?"

"don't sound so upset, i'll cancel our plans." dream crossed his arms.

george rolled his eyes, glaring at him jokingly. "tell me."

"now i don't want to." he turned to the window from george's gaze.

"tell me," george stretched out his syllables, hoping dream would give in.

"no, now you're just going to have to wait and find out."

"i'll tell wilbur. if you're the childhood friend he's been talking about lately, he will not be happy to hear you're withholding information from me."

dream's mouth felt sour. if wilbur was this angry, he could only imagine how techno was holding up. will didn't get angry without a reason.

"please?"

george's word shook dream from his mind, he turned to him, swallowing down the feeling in his throat. "we were going to go ice skating, but the lake never froze over, so we're going roller skating instead."

george's face immediately lit up.

"are we really?"

dream couldn't help but smile back at george. "of course, why wouldn't we?"

"i could kiss you right now."

"do it." sapnap spoke up from the driver seat.

"do what?" karl opened the door, sitting beside sapnap in the passenger seat.

"kiss dream." sapnap supplied karl the missing information, knowing the pink haired boy would agree with him.

"who george? vouch." karl giggled from the front seat.

**

the building was beautifully decorated for the season, lights dim everywhere but the rink, which instead blared colors on the people that were skating.

"we'll go get the skates, you guys find a table." karl volunteered himself and george, pulling the brunette off with him.

"roller skating? i see you dream." sapnap smirked at the taller as they walked towards an empty table, setting down their backpacks.

"what does that even mean?" dream screwed his face in sapnap's direction. he had only decided to take george ice skating because the man said had he had never been before. when the lake never froze over he chose the next best thing. roller skating wasn't ice skating but it would do for now.

"i'm so excited for george to open my present, i know he's going to love it." sapnap didn't make an effort to answer dream's question. however, his words painted a colorful picture of george opening presents, bringing a smile onto the blonde's face.

"what did you get him?" dream spoke as he thought about all the browsing he did to find a perfect gift for the older.

"i'm not telling you." sapnap smiled a mischievous smile, from where he had taken a seat at the table they scouted out.

that smile never meant anything good.

"i don't think i want to know anymore." dream sat across from sapnap as he watched passerby's as they skated with unbalanced smiles, connected at the hands as they held onto one another for support. maybe he'd get to hold george's.

"do you think george and karl ditched us to go make out in the car?"

"what." dream hated the way his intestines seemed to knot together. karl would never. wouldn't he? dream wasn't so sure anymore.

he turned to scan the room for the pink haired boy, finding him walking towards their table with a smile on his face, his hair flopping in his eyes every step he took, as he advanced towards the table. george walked beside him, smiling at dream, unaware of the blonde's previous agitated state.

karl would never. thank god for karl.

they set down the skates on the table. pushing the corresponding pair to the assigned person. they all sat around the table as they pulled on their new footwear for the time being.

dream furrowed his brows. "you remembered my shoe size?" he turned to the birthday boy beside him.

"you have huge feet." george shrugged, not wanting to stay on the topic for long.

"i didn't expect you to remember it though."

"it's pretty hard to forget."

dream could feel george's eyes on his hands as he tied the laces of his skates.

"well i don't remember your shoe size."

george scoffed, "i find that mildly offensive."

dream began laughing only to be pulled into interest at the noise karl made.

"george did you put your skates on?"

george looked down to his feet. "i haven't tied them yet."

karl shared a smirk with sapnap. "take them off?"

george shrugged, pulling his feet out of the skates.

dream watched, knowing the other two were scheming.

"now dream, stand up." sapnap smiled at the blonde.

dream smiled as he stood from the seat, knowing exactly what was happening. george also seemed to know, staring at the skates on dream's feet.

"quick, karl, get a picture." sapnap pulled out his phone, taking multiple pictures of the duo.

"you're a literal giant." george frowned at dream, his head turned to the sky as he spoke to the blonde. their height difference increased by almost two entire inches.