:: eighty-nine ::

somewhere along the line dream had fallen asleep on the couch with george. he knew this, because he woke up to sapnap yelling into his ear.

"wake the fuck up dude. wake up, wake up, wake up."

he stretched, opening his eyes slightly only to close them immediately after. the light in the room now more intense then it had been when he had fallen asleep.

"smack him."

he shot up, opening his eyes to the brunette who still rested beside him.

"don't you fucking dare, i'm awake." he let his eyes travel from george to scan the room, noticing the light had been turned on, and wilbur stood hovering over them, while holding up his phone. when dream sent him a questioning look will only shrugged, handing the blonde the phone.

dream pressed the phone to his ear, watching as wilbur stepped away from the couch, and headed down the hallway. "hello?" he continued trying to keep his voice quiet, all too well aware of the brunette who had still been sleeping beside him.

"i was kind of hoping i'd get to spend some time together with my best buds before i leave in three days, but it seems like you have other plans."

dream listened to sapnap's words with his eyes closed, still not completely understanding the situation. "what?"

"i swear to god dream, you can be so clueless at times. is wilbur still there?" the eye roll in his words was evident past the phone.

"no." dream finally opened his eyes to stare at the empty doorframe of the hallway.

"great." dream could hear sapnap's sarcasm as he set something down on the other side of the line. he sighed, defeated by the situation. "are you coming in for work today or are you just going to sleep in with george, because once i leave i won't be able to see you until next month."

that finally seemed to wake him up. "next month?" he remembered the words he had told his hometown friends the day before he moved out here.

"hey look everybody he's finally awake, yes next month, i'm going to be gone three weeks. god i could just smash your head into a wall right now. are you coming?"

he nodded, responding quickly. "yeah i'll come."

"alright sweet, me and karl will be waiting. bye." he could hear karl echo 'bye' before the call was ended.

dream lowered his hand, sliding the phone into his pocket, his eyes returning to the brunette who still lay with his back turned to him. "literally how do you sleep this much?" george shuffled in his spot after the soft words left dream's lips. he stood from the couch to give the other more room to lay and to allow himself to stretch.

he considered waking george up but decided against it. instead he slid his arms underneath the warm form to carry the brunette to his room. dream never liked sleeping on couches, what would make him think george would like it any better.

every step he took closer to the room he felt his legs wake up from the long period of time of going unused. it was no longer morning, the sky outside george's window now wore a late evening purple.

he set the brunette down on top of the blankets, knowing he would overheat if dream were to have covered him. searching around the room his eyes landed on the giant stuffed cat, he had tried so relentlessly to win at the carnival, sat on a chair wearing one of his hoodies.

he smiled at the image it created in his mind, so he picked up the cat and laid it beside the sleep flushed faced brunette, smiling when the shorter curled around it, pressing his face into the fabric of the sweatshirt.

he figured leaving without saying anything wasn't in his best interest, so he decided to text the other, knowing george would check his phone for a message from the blonde when he woke up.

'i left for work, hopefully when you wake up i'll still be there and you can come by, but if not i'll see you tomorrow. i hope you feel better :)'

when he sent the text through he heard george's phone ping from beside the bed, where it had been left all those nights ago. he eyed his sweatshirt that lay underneath where the cat previously sat, knowing the brunette would get a better use out of it then him, he left it there.

"goodnight george." he flicked off the light, stepping out of the room and closing the door behind himself. there was one last thing he had to do before he left.

he knocked at the door on the other side of the hallway, waiting for the man inside the room to let him in.

"come in." the voice beyond the door was quiet.

he opened the door, peering into the room where wilbur sat on his bed typing away on his laptop.

"hey." he removed will's phone from his pocket, tossing it to the brunette who lifted his hands from the keyboard in time to catch it. they both sat in silence for a while.

"how's george?" will returned his eyes to the screen, his tongue peeking from behind his lips in focus.

"he seemed fine earlier, i think he's just tired now."

wilbur scoffed rolling his eyes. "nothing new about that."

dream purses his lips as he saw the bright screen reflected on the brunette's face. "...so what are you doing?"

will's answer was quick, "porn."

"what?." dream could feel himself become lightheaded. wilbur gave dream no time to calm down before he continued.

"no, i'm actually editing, i don't know why i said that." wilbur looked up from the screen to smile at the blonde that was laughing, simply too hard for his own good. this wasn't too different from all their interactions when they were younger. dream might not have been as close with wilbur but they were still close nonetheless.