:: seventy-seven ::

the ride was strangely silent despite the music that rang through the car. every time he came across a beautiful sight he'd turn to his side, expecting to be met with warm brown eyes, only for an empty seat to stare back. a gentle realization leaving his lips.

"right."

he turned back to the road, missing the feeling of eyes roaming across his form as he drove. maybe he should've brought his sister, if anything, just for company. he watched the colors that passed him, imagining how the beauty of the view would be lost at the reduction of its color.

he thought back to a specific day, talking about color and holding a small form in his arms. he remembered the electricity that traveled throughout his nervous system when a pair of soft lips were pressed to his face. his mind then wandered to the anger he felt the day he was introduced to jared.

he sighed. even listening to sapnap complain about the drive would be better then being left to his own devices.

the truth was, he was tired of being angry. he was tired of being away from the other and he just wanted to speak to the brunette again, to hold him in his arms. the day he had finally seen the man after the long absence he felt his feet burrow into the ground.

the break didn't seem to have treated him nicely. he wanted to reach out and wipe away the bags that lay under his offended eyes. however the universe proved to be against him again, having the other walk in as soon as the worst words could've left his mouth. the brunette left too quickly, leaving the blonde with nothing left to admire.

"fuck." he whispered, throwing his head back to hit the head rest.

everyday he walked into The Grind, expecting to see the brunette sat at the counter, of course the day he had given up hope was the day the brunette showed up.

his legs always acted before his brain did. yet he made no effort to follow through, watching the brunette walk away from the coffee shop. he remembers calling out for him, but maybe he hadn't actually made any noise, the brunette never turned around to face him after all.

he remembered the feeling of wilbur's hand on his shoulder. "i'll talk to him." he had said, and what could've dream done? he was helpless, waiting around to receive a text from will informing him everything was okay.

dream picked up his phone on that note, still awaiting the text. he smiled at the picture set as his wallpaper, taken the night of his birthday the very moment after george had pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"i miss you." he spoke sadly into the vacancy of the car, for no one to hear.

**

staring up at the house he once called home, he felt more intimidated than anything. they had spent so much time inside that house. he was scared, he wasn't afraid to admit that, it felt like it had been gone so long. too long.

he remembered racing over to the house anytime he had good new to share, and the brunette who resided inside was always willing to sit around and listen to him talk about whatever was on his mind for the time being.

he wasn't one to sit and listen, maybe that's why they fit together so clean. they were polar opposites at the start, dream learned a lot of things from him. even though he was just a few months older, he was so wise.

"i can't do this."

he had waited too long. this was a flaw he'd have to live with forever. he had changed so much since he left that inside his brain was a person that even he didn't know fully. who's to say the person who lay on the other side of the door was a person he would know anything about anyway.

he thought as soon as he entered the town his worries would be relieved, he'd be in the comfort of the past, but if anything the silence in the car and the feeling of overstepping only amplified the collective thoughts that were running wild through his brain.

"i can't fucking do this."

he started the car, leaving the parking space in front of the house he had been in so many years before. the town was different, so was he, with the distance came change. they weren't who they used to be. he wasn't who he used to be. he was new, with fresh feelings and old worries.

when his phone vibrated in his pocket he felt a surge of hope pulled at his heart. seeing it had been a message from wilbur only fed the hope that was growing in his soul. however, worry hit when he read the message.

'can you come over?'

so many bad things could be the cause of that single text.

'i'm three hours away, what happened?'

he tried to push down the feeling of anxiety that rose in his stomach.

'i have to go out and i don't want to leave george alone, he's been working his ass off on this god awful project and it's killing me to see him like this, i figured seeing you might cheer him up'

dream's heart was warmed at the idea of just his presence making the brunette feel better. but reality struck harder than anything had hit him before.

'will, i'm three hours away, and i don't think george wants to see me'

the next response came after a few contemplated seconds.

'so you're just going to do this again?'

he stared at the message, confused by the hostile undertone of the words.

'i let you get away with techno because i didn't want to believe you'd hurt him on purpose. i can't let you hurt george on top of that because you're scared to confront your problems.'

dream stared at the message for too long.

this wasn't the big plot point i was talking about, but it is approaching slowly, you better be ready (;