Chapter 65: Fight Outside

Start from the beginning

"It's been great meeting you Lain. I hope you and your wife have a safe trip home." He smiled out through his crooked teeth before taking off with James. The men chuckled to themselves as they walked out of the restaurant leaving the couple with a panicked look on their faces as they stared back at the woman looking at them with blank glare.

"Bastard." Nina grumbled under her breathe. As she was about to consult her mother in law, the mocha woman opened her mouth to speak but was met with Emma's hand in her face. She groaned at the movement remembering the similar act Lain had given her.

"Did he just say what I think he did?" Emma asked Lain softly.

"Mom it's not what it looks like." Lain flared her hands in front of her in defense.

"Not what it looks like?!" She shouted grabbing the attention of the whole restaurant. As the brothers walked out not wanting to deal with this mess, the people surrounding them turned to silence as they watched the couple get hounded on. "Then please explain it to me Lain. Cause what it does look like, is that one of those guys who just left said to have a safe drive home...with your WIFE! The only other woman who's here is Nina!"

"Yeah but...but-" Lain's palms began to sweat as her nerves kicked in. From her peripheral vision, she could see Nina with her jaw dropped as she frantically shook her head.

As much as the woman wanted her wife to confess everything to her mother, she knew they had a plan for it.

And yet while that plan was apparent in Lain's mind at the time, there was still a small voice in the back of her head screaming at herself for allowing this to happen again. Allowing her mother, of all people, to yell at her like a child in front of an audience.

While Emma rambled on about nonsense, there was a moment where Lain's world froze. She could see the many eyes peering their way and the constant whispering happening. But in her time stop, she glanced down to where her phone lied on the table. And illuminated right on the front screen sat a picture.

Her girls were all together smiling with all their hearts as Nina proudly stood behind them.

Looking back up at her mother, she saw something. She saw the face of the warm woman who raised her to dream of success and happiness in life. And yet in her eyes she saw a darkness. Someone who critiqued and criticized every little movement she made.

And in a split second she clenched her teeth as she stomped her foot down onto the floor. "Mom!" She silenced the woman.

"Don't yell at me-"

"Would you listen for one damn minute!" She shouted back. "I don't care about what you think is best for me! I don't care about your expectations for me anymore! I'm not some kid who's incompetent in making her own decisions! I'm my own woman, mom! And I hate to break it to you but my wife and I need to get home." She said pushing past her mother and grabbing hold of Nina's hand.

Not caring about the horrendous dinner she was forced to go along with, she marched with Nina out towards the doors of the building. But like a lost dog, her mother followed behind.

Not wanting to continue making a scene in front of the entire restaurant, Lain kept walking all the way out to where her car was parked.

"Lain, don't walk away when I'm talking to you!" Emma waved a finger aimed at her daughter as she heatedly made it to their car as well.

"I don't have anything other than that to say to you!" She shouted.

"How long have you been hiding this from me?!" Emma's voice cracked as she nearly broke into tears right then and there.

"Who cares about how long I've kept this from you! At this rate, you should be able to see why I did!"

"How! Long!" Her mom demanded.

Rolling her eyes, Lain crossed her arms. "You really want to know mom, I've kept this from you for eleven years! Eleven years of my life living a lie for your fantasy!"

She watched as her mother's eyebrows furrowed. The woman's face began to burn red and the tear that dropped out of her eye sizzled as it hit the road underneath them.

Turning her glance ever so slightly, Emma saw Nina. Just standing back looking with big eyes as they argued. "You!" She marched towards the woman. "You're the one responsible for turning my daughter against me!" She shouted reaching her arms out as if to strangle the woman.

"Mom stop!" Lain shouted pulling her mother's arms away as Nina fought back against the older woman's attempt.

"You're the cause behind all of this!"

"I didn't do anything Emma." Nina defended. "I did nothing to Lain! The only thing I've ever done to your daughter is love her unconditionally! Something you should've been doing all along."

"How dare you-!" Emma threw herself away from Nina as she pushed Lain off her back. "I don't ever want to hear from you both again!" She stormed away.

Letting the tense evening of constant yelling and bickering sink in, Lain felt her heart drop down into her stomach.

Sighing as they came together, Nina opened her welcoming arms as her wife collapsed into them in tears. "Let's go home." She said helping her sobbing wife into the car before she took off herself.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off