Chapter 44: A New Friend

Start from the beginning

As the women began engaging in a conversation of their own, Lauren had wandered towards Faye bored of going down the slides on her own. Walking too close to the girl swinging high into the air Lauren fell back when the swing came flying at her nearly smacking her across the face.

Whining as her bottom came into contact with the hard floor she sat on the ground staring up at Faye for help.

Jumping off when the swing came closer to the ground, Faye stuck the landing as she stopped the moving swing before it could hit her.

"Hurt." Lauren pointed to her bottom as Faye could see her eyes getting glassy. Panicking she ran away from the girl on the floor and over towards her mommy's talking on the bench.

"Lauren fell!" She announced instantly.

"What?!" Lain stood up quickly. "Where?" She looked around the large park unable to see the little girl.

"There." Faye said before taking off in Lauren's direction.

Following closely behind Lain found Lauren sitting on the floor as another little girl now stood besides her.

"Hi." The little girl with hazel eyes waved with a tilted head confused as to why Lauren was sitting on the floor crying.

Sobbing harder with a stranger besides her, Lauren curled her legs up before she felt two hands grab her from behind. Panicking she turned to see it was Lain lifting her up off the ground.

Relaxing as she realized she was safe, Lauren hid her face into the woman's neck letting her tears fall freely.

"Hi there." Lain responded to the curious girl watching her. "What's your name?" She asked.

"I'm Rosy." She smiled sweetly twisting in place.

"Rosy. That's a very pretty name. I'm Lain. And this little one is Lauren." She looked down at the girl on her hip. "And this is Faye." She introduced the shy girl hiding behind her back.

"They wanna play?" She asked excitedly.

"Play." The girl behind Lain heard her ask. Jumping out excitedly Faye was more than thrilled to have a new friend to play with. Especially since one of the new friends her mommy's brought home didn't want to play nicely with her. "I do." She told her.

Laughing Lain was about to let the girls play before she looked up after hearing a woman calling out in their direction.

"Rose!"  A woman taller than the girl who had blond wavy hair and grey eyes approach them. "I told you not to wander far off." She said grabbing the girls hand. "I'm sorry about her." The woman apologized to Lain.

Shaking her head the tan woman smiled back. "It's alright. She was just asking if they wanted to play." Lain explained.

"Mommy can they join us?!" The little girl asked tugging on the woman's arm.

Shaking her head the woman said softly. "No baby. I'm sure they have their own plans."

"Please?!" She begged repeatedly with the woman.

Chuckling awkwardly the new woman looked up at Lain as she sighed. "If you're not busy, would you like to join us for a picnic?" She asked kindly.

"Thank you but I wouldn't want to bother." Lain politely declined.

"But mommy I wanna have a picnic." Faye turned to look at Lain with pouty eyes and a trembling lip. Feeling Lauren hiccuping into her neck, Lain bounced the girl on her hip as she turned back to the woman in front of her.

"Trust me you wouldn't be a bother at all. I have a bad habit of making too much food as it is. Is it just the three of you here?" The woman asked.

"Uh, no actually my wife and other girl is sitting over there." She pointed them out on the bench.

"Well you're all more than welcome to join us if you'd like. I know Rosy can't help but love making new friends." She smiled looking down at the girl besides her.

Contemplating the offer, Lain thought about how a small snack wouldn't hurt the girls. Thanking the woman for the invite, Lain grabbed Faye's hand as she walked over to inform her wife about their change of plans.

"Is she alright" Nina asked as soon as she saw Lain holding Lauren tightly.

"Yeah. She'll be better in no time." Lain tried to get a chuckle out of the girl but there was nothing. "Anyways Faye met a new friend just now."

"Did you?" Nina looked proudly at the girl rocking on her feet. "Good for you sweetheart."

"They've invited us to join their picnic." Lain informed.

"A picnic? You mean we can get some free food." She playfully commented quietly amongst their small circle making Lain roll her eyes and smack her wife's shoulder.

"I swear is food all you think about." She chuckled.

"No. Half the time it's about you guys. The other half is about food though."

"Aren't we lucky." Lain rolled her eyes again as she continued bouncing Lauren on her hip.

"You certainly are." Nina chuckled confidently as she took the half empty bottle out of Kaila's mouth interrupting her drink.

Having a whiny girl in her arms Nina stood bouncing the girl now on her hip. "I know honey. Hold on. Mama will give you back your bottle soon." She replaced it with the girls pacifier momentarily as Lain led the small family over to a red checkered blanket on the ground where their new potential friends sat.

"You guys can have a seat anywhere you'd like." The woman kindly told them as she was quickly getting the plates out of her large woven basket.

"Thank you for inviting us for the food-I mean a picnic." Nina smiled offering her hand out to the woman as her wife couldn't help but blush in embarrassment.

Faye chuckled seeing her mommy's reaction. Taking a seat besides the new girl, the two of them began talking while the Lain and Nina sat down themselves getting the girls situated in their laps.

"Oh, how rude of myself. I'm Alia." The woman with blond hair introduced herself to the couple.

"I'm Nina and this little one is Kaila." She said switching the girls pacifier with her bottle to resume her drink as she cradled the girl in her arms.

"And I'm Lain. This is Lauren. And that's Faye." Lain pointed out the rest of them.

"It's nice to meet you all. And that bundle of joy over there is Rose, but you can just call her Rosy." She said as the little girl talking to Faye happily looked at the women with a warm smile.

Getting to know one another better the women began engaging in conversation more in depth while their picnic was going through its final stages of preparation.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off