Chapter 37: Strange Suspicion

Start from the beginning

Before the girls ran back upstairs to play in Faye's room, Lain had gone to give each girl a kiss on the head and a hug. Faye and Kaila accepted it graciously, but as the woman's arms surrounded themselves around Lauren's tiny body, the girl shuttered.

Flinching as Lain's arms got closer she moved away from the woman without an explanation.

To make matters worst, Nina still didn't know what was going on with Lauren. Meanwhile, Lain brushed it off as a rough morning.

It was suppose to be a happy time for their family after all.

Lauren had just become their precious little baby, and after a rather hard talk with Kaila, Lain eventually found her to be in the same boat as Lauren. Just two happy precious girls.

That was until Lauren woke up and threw her curve ball.

Shifting closer to her wife, Nina made sure there were no sounds of little footsteps tapping themselves down the staircase. "Psst." She called softly for her wife who was busy gathering left behind toys.

Looking at Nina as if she were insane Lain raised an eyebrow. "What're you doing?" She said in a normal volume.

Nina's face scrunched up as she threw her index finger over her mouth. "Keep you're voice down. The girls are going to hear you."

"So...?" She questioned. "What's going on babe?" She asked still disregarding her wife's instructions to speak in a lower volume.

Groaning in frustration, Nina grabbed everything out of her wife's hand before she placed them on the floor and took her wife's empty hands. Guiding her out towards their front door, the women made their way outside for a brief moment.

"Since you can't keep your voice down inside we can talk out here." She said seeing nothing but a long pathway leading down their front lawn to a small gate that connected to their empty street.

"I just don't understand, why we had to whisper?" She explained herself.

"Because it's about the girls."

"The girls? What wrong with the girls?" Lain questioned as she crossed her arms.

"Nothings wrong with them babe, I'm just...just...worried is all."

"What's there to be worried about?"

"It's Lauren mainly I'm concerned for. She won't let either of us get even remarkable close to her." Nina pointed out.

"Maybe she just wants her space. Did you think about that?" She asked her wife.

Shaking her head, Nina looked at Lain frustratedly. "No. You don't understand, Lauren was little out on that boat adventure we had. I saw it. You saw it. We both knew she was little on that trip."

"Of course I remember that babe. She was so tiny too." Lain said as she smiled at the memory.

"And she loved to be held. Lauren loved being in one of our arms or laps."

"You're point is?"

"She won't let us near her today. Haven't you noticed that? Any time either of us have even tried to get somewhat close to her she just walks away or whines about it until we move away from her."

Reflecting back on the past few hours Lain did see where her wife was coming from. But her wife's level of concern seemed over exaggerated. "So what babe, she was a super tiny one day and she's not the other. That's not out of the ordinary."

"It just feels wrong with her." She squinted her eyes. There was something on the tip of her tongue. Something that she could say to explain what she believed was going on, but she couldn't quite figure the words out.

"Then talk to her babe. If you really think somethings on her mind then just ask her about it. Maybe I'm wrong and there is something going on in her sweet head, but I just think she doesn't feel as little today and that's it."

"Maybe you're right?" Nina questioned herself as her wife looked at her with a soft smile. "Maybe I am just looking too far into this?"

"Tell you what, we can just go about our day and if Lauren really is avoiding us then we'll talk to her. But until then I don't think we have anything to worry about."

Exhaling deeply Nina nodded as she opened the door and held it for her wife. Pressing a kiss upon her wife's lips, Lain tried to change Nina's attitude for the day.

"Good. Now help me get these toys out of the living room and back into Faye's room where they belong. If I have to step on another stuffed animal she has and she sees and screams at me, I'm going to scream myself." The woman joked lightheartedly making her wife chuckle in response.

"Alright fine." She agreed locking the front door behind them.

Back in the living room, the two women worked together to gather the last of the lost toys scattered around the living room floor. With both of their arms full of stuff, they carefully walked up the stairs and into Faye's room.

They could hear the girls laughing as they got closer to them.

Walking in, the women smiled happily as they saw Lauren and Faye playing with dolls. Meanwhile, Kaila was sat on the sideline coloring in a page from one of Faye's many coloring books. While it was a majority of scribbles it still made them look at it in awe.

"Delivery for a special little girl." Lain announced as she laid the toys on the floor for the girls to see.

"Yay! More toys!" Faye cheered running towards them and grabbing some of her favorites from Lain's pile.

"Next time put your toys away after you play with them. We don't want them downstairs by themselves now do we?" Lain asked as the girl sadly shook her head kissing her toys as a token of her sympathy for them.

While they watched all three girls and made sure they were alright, the couple couldn't help it as their glares became fixated on the small girl mumbling to herself as she played with the plastic figures.

"Lauren, honey?" Nina called her out. Looking up from the toys she looked at the woman with a tilted head. "Come give mama a hug. I could use one right about now." She opened her arms wide waiting to see what she would do.

Just staring at her, Lauren gulped as she stayed seated. "I'll give you a hug mama!" Faye exclaimed as she ran up into the woman's embrace, unknowingly taking Lauren's place.

Chuckling nervously Nina thanked the girl as she kissed her head. "I love my sweet Faye hugs. It makes me wonder what it's like having three little girls instead of one giving me a big hug. How about a hug from all my girls then, hm?"

Lain just watched wanting to slap her wife for making an obvious scene in the middle of the girls play session, but she couldn't help her curiosity as well. She had doubts about Nina's suspicion, but she'd rather know for certainty that everything was alright with Lauren rather ran assuming it.

Kaila smiled as she ran over joining Nina's hip by Faye's side. "Go on Lauren. You're the last one." Lain encouraged the girl.

But she shook her head as a small blush came over her. Trying to play it off she forced a chuckle. "I'm playing." She excused herself.

Turning to one another now with full proof of some off behavior, the couple began to ponder what could be wrong with their sweet girl.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you thinks up with Lauren all of a sudden. Thanks Lexx signing off