Chapter 86: An Unexpected Find

"Last one" I said quietly as I stuck the last device to the wall of a bedroom in an abandoned apartment complex.

Tokoyami nodded and we jumped out of the window, landing one floor down on the street below.

I couldn't help but think about the new moves I had learned along with what we were doing and why as we walked through the streets, blending into the crowd as the lights of cars blurred together in the night.

How different I seem now compared to just a week ago. I'm much more gymnastic now, not to mention the new suit and the things Yami and I have been entrusted with...These devices can hear the ambient conversations in the rooms we stuck them in, but what is Hawks trying to pick up on? Does he have information on where the LOV spends time? No, he wouldn't send us into the lion's den like that, we're still just high schoolers and we are barely provisionally licensed... maybe he knows they're moving around? Ugh, what if this doesn't lead us to anything? I want to find whoever's making those Nomu's and make them pay. No monster like that should even exist...

"Lumia" Tokoyami's voice cut through my thoughts and I looked up. Hawks was standing right in front of us.

"How'd it go?" he asked, as if we had just gone to get groceries.

"We put the last one up just now." I said

"Great! Now we just gotta wait." He said, turning on his heel and heading away from us. He was so nonchalant about this, like it was an everyday task to put up tiny listening devices in random buildings. It made me nervous about just about everywhere I had been up until now. We followed Hawks as best we could, his normal speediness making it hard for us to keep up, and after an hour or so of patrolling the usual boring city, we ended up around the docks.

"I haven't checked this place out in a while, but last time I was here I noticed some shady people doing some sort of deal." Hawks mentioned in a hushed tone. We walked around different shipping containers, making sure to keep quiet as we went. I could definitely see a lot better in the dark thanks to the new visor.

"Hawks" Tokoyami whispered harshly, grabbing our attention. He pointed towards the ground where I saw a small drop of this glowing green liquid. His eyes shifted off to the distance, and we stepped over to him to find a trail of the liquid leading to an open shipping container.

As we approached, Hawks yanked one of his long feathers from the bottom of his wings, angling it like a saber and preparing for battle. I glanced at him as if to ask if I should also make a weapon, but he only shook his head slightly.

Right, my light isn't exactly good for sneaking around. I remembered, wondering for a second why he had chosen me to help with this mission, I wasn't exactly suited for it.

We crept across the open door and Hawks headed into the container, and what I saw made me stop in my tracks.

There was a dim purple light in the back of the container, illuminating a screen with a report on it, but the screen had been cracked and the subsequent report was glitching and nearly impossible to read. There was also a vat of the glowing green liquid inside the container, splashes of it on the floor leading out of the door indicated something had gotten out of the vat and walked out.

Hawks walked in slowly, gesturing for us to stay back a bit as he approached the screen and tried to comprehend some of the report through the glitching. His eyes widened as they scanned the paper.

"This... this was a nomu tank." he told us, his voice slightly tinged with surprise and fear.

"So... where is it?" I asked quietly.

"That's what we're worried about." Tokoyami responded. Almost as if on cue, the door to the container slammed shut, blocking us off from Hawks.

"What do you think you're doing here heroes?!" an unfamiliar voice spat as we looked up to see a group of 3 thugs standing on top of the container.