Chapter 74: Less Than Ten Percent!?

A few days later we were unloading the bus for the exam. I watched as Kirishima smashed his fist in his palm and said

"We totally got this!"

Bakugou grunted and I laughed, grab the air in agreement

"Yeah! We're totally gonna get those licenses today!" I was desperately trying to hide the fact that I was incredibly nervous.

"If you guys can pass this test and get your provisional licenses, you novice eggs will hatch into chicks. You'll be semi-pros. I expect your best" Aizawa said to us.

Was that supposed to be a pep talk? I wondered. Kirishima was determined to do better, so he called out

"Let's call out the usual guys! On my mark! Go PLUUSsss-"

"Ultraaaaaa!" A weird dude with a hat interrupted us. One of his peers told him it was rude to barge into other people's huddles, to which the guy responded with a

"What? Pardon me! I am so very extremely sorry!!!!!!" as he slammed his head onto the concrete in a bow so deep it threw all of us off. When he stood back up, his forehead was covered in blood.

Who the hell is this guy?

I tried to shake the creepy vibe this guy was putting off but before I knew it, we were confronted with another school. A group of second years sauntered up to us and a guy that looked a lot like Midoriya but with black hair took my hands and held them up as he bent down towards me.

"I look forward to learning from you today!" he said smiling, but his eyes were cold. He continued to spout about how we at UA have had a hard year and how he was so impressed that we've continued to try to become heroes despite those hardships. It wasn't until Bakugou cut him off that he stopped

"Stop pretending! What you say doesn't match the look in your eyes." he growled, and the student who had introduced himself as Shindo leered at him, his cold eyes shifting to a look of hatred. Kirishima quickly apologized for Bakugou and pretty soon, we were on our way into the examination hall.

-

I recognized our proctor as he sleepily walked towards the podium.

"Hey, I know that guy. He works with my dad at the commission." I said quietly to Kirishima. He didn't have time to respond as Mera started sleepily talking.

"Basically 1,500 of you compete in a free for all exercise or whatever we're calling it this year." he launched into a tired speech about Stain and how the hero society needed higher standards due to people's doubts and how we needed quicker speed before dropping the bomb on us.

"The first 100 students to fulfil the requirements will pass today."

"WHAT?!? That's less than ten percent of the people here!"

"So, here are the basic rules." Mera disregarded our shock and surprise and began to explain the rules.