Chapter 58

Maria was quite annoyed. Previously in the meeting, Akamai riled up everyone on about this "final mission" but it didn't explain why Maria, Billie and Gary were in a coffee place upstairs doing nothing. Unlike Alfred, Britannia and Lydie who were downstairs communicating with others and being useful, Maria wasn't being useful for anything at all.

"Like what are we supposed to do?! Do we really just gotta stay behind like this?!" Billie fumed. Maria Reginheraht watched the copper haired debater face-plant into the desk, bored. "Be quiet. We can't fight. We'd just be holding everyone back so it's best to leave it to the professionals," Gary snapped as he looked up from his book, "we just have to accept that." "Then why did Justus, Sabrina, Luke and Sherry go? It's not fair!" Billie wailed.

"Justus and Sabrina are Justice. Having them to assist others is useful. Luke is a capable police officer and you shouldn't underestimate him. He's the Quintessential Policeman for a reason," Gary said as he flipped another page to his book, "Sherry is a coroner. Having her around would be useful...." "What for? It's not like she's going to inspect any corpses. She can't kill and isn't capable of fending herself!" Billie argued. Knowing Billie was right, Gary in return sighed. "There must be a reason for Akamai to bring Sherry along. No need to worry because Luke will take care of her." He mumbled.

"Hey boys wanna go help kick asses?" Maria grinned. Billie tilted his head. "What do you mean by that?" He echoed. Gary thought for a moment before his face darkened. "Maria, no." The detective growled. "But hear me out Gary; you and I both saw David, Yinboy and Rien getting kidnapped with our own two eyes yet we did nothing," Maria reasoned, "we are a part of the Enquiry Agents squad. Instead of taking responsibility for this kidnapping case and rescue them ourselves, we're getting Akamai and others to do this for us. We are burdening them!" "What are you implying?" Gary asked.

Justus and Sabrina were good people. But they manipulated Maria into nearly killing Gaela. After what Maria had seen from Kami and her documents, it was Justus who pushed her over the edge and made her lose her sanity. Maria Reginheraht wasn't a normal person. There's a reason why she was chosen as a Quintessential; she have exceptional observation skills. Maria picked up the ways the Solicitor and the Actor used to convince Maria to do their bidding; that includes their good use of gaslighting.

"Gary... We should've rescue them ourselves. If we just talked things through and worked together, just you and me, like you previously suggested, then things would've been okay...." Maria started. Gary closed his book. He looked up at Maria, his pinkish red eyes narrowing in suspicion. Despite the millions of thoughts running inside Maria's mind, it suddenly went blank. Maria suddenly found herself shaking the slightest, smiling yet grimacing at her own guilt tripping words.

"Lait wouldn't reveal herself to be the Angel's Executioner if it wasn't for us..... A-And Justus and Sabrina too. What do you expect to happen after this mission? Lait will probably be put to death on the electric chair! Justus and Sabrina will be behind bars or share a similar Fate! And Kami... She would die too if people know she is TRAXX. This is the consequences of our feeble actions; yours and mine. No — I tried to go after them but you stopped me! If only you'd just let go of my hands and chase after them together, things would've been different..." Gary hesitated as Billie looked at him in worry. "Y-You didn't go after them despite seeing the kidnapping right in front of your eyes..?" Billie asked in shock, trailing off. Gary stayed silent.

"Look at what's going on now; Akamai Shi, the Quintessential Bachelor, associating herself with the Rí an Ghealach, Justice, TRAXX, Angel's Executioner, Ved'ma, Kuumato, Cillian Häyhä and so much more people! What do you think will happen afterwards?! Our school will be in shambles and Akamai will be thrown behind bars! Quintessentials will be disbanded and the world will be in a state of unrest and scepticism. Every single Quintessential along with Akamai put so much effort into a public facade, a character for everyone to love and support. It'll crumble to dust... I-It already did because of my sinful actions for nearly killing Gaela but....... You see where I'm coming from right? You and I are imperfect, broken and flawed. But together, we can heal each other along with this mess we created. We need to redeem ourselves. We need to get in there, get evidence of us being the good guys and give assistance to everyone."