Chapter 60

Inside a café that acted as Squadron Delta's post, Alfred, Lydie and Britannia were diligently doing their work; sorting out intel and conjure up plans. So far things were mostly going according to plan; with the exception of Kuumato showing up early but according to Adrienne, Squadron Alpha got over the hurdle.

"Things are awfully quiet upstairs," Lydie brought up, scribbling down information from each squadron onto a piece of paper. Alfred nodded. Lydie was right. Maria and Gary weren't arguing or screaming at each other. Billie's excitement when it comes to debating wasn't to be heard as well. "Maybe they grew tired of bickering and went to sleep," Britannia suggested, scribbling notes on a map of the school in bird's eye view.

"I doubt it. If one of them do somehow manage to fall asleep, something absurd will happen. Maria might smack Gary with a broom if he ever falls asleep in front of her as a prank or something." Alfred sighed, "and Gary in return might bring Billie out to McDonald's to get milkshakes together while Maria sleeps."

Britannia gave Alfred an intrigued look. "You seem to know what you're talking about," she remarked. Alfred in response smiled a bit. "I mean as one of the only three Quintessentials Akamai had chosen herself, I know the other two pretty well; that being Gary and Sherry. Gary and Maria are really nice people when they're not around each other. And yes I know what I'm talking about because that happened before when they went to the Archives to do some research."

Britannia rested her chin into her hand. "What are they up to upstairs then?" The literate said to herself, "I feel oddly uncomfortable." "I'll go check," Alfred volunteered, standing up from the chair he was sitting in. "Please do. Thanks Alfred," Lydie said. The yellow haired polyglot gave both girls a nod and hurried behind the counter of the café.

Alfred headed into the 'staff only' door behind the counter that revealed a set of stairs. He climbed up the stairs and arrived at a room with the door shut. This was the room Billie, Gary and Maria resided in. The blonde haired polyglot hesitantly gave it a knock. "Hello? Gary? Maria? Billie?" Alfred asked hesitantly. "Are you all okay?" No response. Alfred took a deep breath and opened the door.

The room was tidy and devoid of life. Alfred skimmed around the room, looking for anyone. Where were Gary, Maria and Billie? Were they playing hide and seek? Were they going to jump out and surprise Alfred? If so, they should do it now. Alfred's eyes landed on the window and his jaw dropped.

The window to the café was open widely. There were multiple spare curtains tied together into a long rope. One end was tied firmly to the big sturdy oak table and the other was dropped down outside of the window. Alfred hurried to the window and peered down. This window was out of sight downstairs. Billie, Gary and Maria ran off without Britannia, Lydie and Alfred knowing. What were they planning to do outside?! Were they out of their minds?! Alfred hesitated, mind racing.

"Don't tell me..." Alfred trailed off before he widened his eyes in horror. Even if he wasn't fond of jumping into conclusions, Alfred believed he was right. The polyglot quickly fled down the stairs to the first floor. Seeing Alfred's distressed expression, Britannia immediately stood up and rushed over to him. "What's wrong Alfred?" Britannia asked, "are you okay? What's going on upstairs?"

"Gary, Billie and Maria..." Alfred trailed off, "they're not upstairs! They're disappeared... What do we do?!" Lydie Wang who was writing suddenly dropped the pen in her hand. She widened her eyes with her mouth agape and looked at Alfred, likely to be thinking about the same thing Alfred was.