Chapter 30

"Dammit Yin! Why can't you just let me win?!" Rien fumed, throwing a pawn at the taller boy as soon as Yinyu checkmated him. The taller boy wearing glasses just ducked and sighed. "I wouldn't let you win like that. Stop being a sore looser." Yinyu replied, rolling his eyes, "and here I thought you're good at chess."

Rien huffed before answering. "At least I have a life and have stuff done and made friends with people unlike some anime nerd here who doesn't socialise but watch anime, play chess, write fan fictions about two nations and being an ass to his sister." Rien sassed. Yinyu irked.

"Stop being a snobby 'popular' kid. Also it's not my fault people don't want to approach me." Yinyu said. Rien stuck out his tongue. "People fear you because of your I'm-very-annoyed-or-am-I face. Who in the right mind pair nations together and love fictional characters?!" "You don't understand. HongIce is a beautiful ship and it's going to be cannon soon. Also Morgan is the purest and one of the best characters in FE." Yinyu explained. Rien narrowed his eyes at Yinyu questioningly. "The f*ck is a ship?" He asked, "you cannot combine Hong Kong and Iceland together and expect it to be a cruise or battleship or something before transforming into a cannon. That's not how it works." Yinyu rolled his eyes before sighing. "You're a normie Rien. You're a normie."

The two boys stared at the messy chessboard in silence before they both nodded and started setting up the board again. "If only Ritchie isn't so busy," Yinyu muttered, "he's a better chess player than you. As expected from a former chess champion." Rien rolled his eyes. "Why don't you ask David to play with you?" Rien asked, "he's the Quintessential Chessman after all. Quintessentials are the best of the best; Acasia, Darriagh, Sabrina and everyone else.... They're all amazing." "Can't you see? I can't beat David." Yinyu mumbled, "I hate to say this but.... he's too strong for me. Also whenever I loose, my stupid sister have to buy him lunch. She's very stingy and never spends money. In fact, half of the money she spent this year goes to buying lunch for David." "Feels bad man." Rien commented.

"Shut up. Like you'd know my pain," Yinyu sighed, "same with David. Pretty sure he never tasted defeat before. It's always victory after victory after victory." Yinyu took a black and a white pawn before putting it behind his back and switched the pieces between his hands. He then extended both hands to Rien. Rien chose a hand and got white. Yinyu put the two pawns back before rotating the chessboard so he's the black pieces. Rien moved first.

"That's not true," Rien smiled, "David used to get crushed a lot. It's funny to me that he's the Quintessential Chessman." Yinyu moved his knight. "Oh really? I don't recall you beating him." Yinyu remarked. "That's because I didn't. My sister did though." Rien said calmly, moving out his pawns.

"Let's see... a former chess champion who was even stronger than Ritchie at one point? That seems more likely." Yinyu said as he moved out more pawns. Both sides are trying to take control over the centre. After all, if you have control over the centre of the chessboard, the board is yours.

"Yeah. In fact, when me and my sister first transferred to a school after moving houses, quite a number of people know her as a chessman. Many people praise her chess skills. That piqued David, who was in her class, 's interest." Rien started, smiling as he recalled a long forgotten memory. "David and my sister are great friends and he asked her to teach him how to play chess since being taught by a champion will be better than any teacher. And for free too." Rien chuckled as he continued, "and so my sister taught him how to play chess. In fact, I saw David loose so many times that it's just weird to think he's now the Quintessential Chessman."

"..." Yinyu paused and he stared at Rien moving his bishop, frowning. "Hm, interesting. A fianchetto?" Yinyu asked. Rien stared at his moved bishop, visibly confused. "A what?" Rien asked. Yinyu facepalmed. "Rien don't tell me you didn't learn chess terms. Ugh it doesn't matter..." Yinyu moved his knight, making a fork consisting of a rook and a bishop. "....Her death. David must've been heavily impacted by it." Yinyu muttered.