Chapter 5

An accident.

That's what they told the world.

A family disaster that went wrong, causing that incident that changed the little girl and her little brother's life forever.

The young lady can still recall what happened ten years ago. The false information displayed all around the world disgusts her. She can remember every little detail; the snowflakes danced in the wind and descended onto the cold winter wonderland by the woods. No one was there except for a small child who is watching the roaring flames engulfing a car in horror, her brown eyes widening into a colourless hue. Beside her was her younger brother who was unconscious from the impact of the crash with a heavy blow to the head, bleeding furiously.

Their parent's screams echoed through the woods but the roaring flames are louder and stronger than their pleading shouts. The girl wiped her tears with her dirtied sleeves before pulling strands of her dark hair away and lifted her brother up, withdrawing from the roaring flames. 'Live'. Her parents' last wish for them is to live. 'Survive'. Her parents' last favour is for them to survive.

The girl ripped the sleeves of her jumper off and wrapped it gently around her younger sibling's head with caution. She managed to carry her brother on her back and trudged away from the burning vehicle. When she's at a good distance from the car in flames inside the woods, she opened her mother's cracked phone and dialed a number.

999

Someone finally picked up the other side of the phone and a muffled 'hello' is heard. The operator's voice is foreign and have a strong French accent to it. "Hello there sir," the girl said quietly, on the verge of tears, "my family got into a car accident. My parents are trapped within the flames and my brother is knocked out by a blow on the head.... Please send help."

"Give us your location."
She gave it to them.
"Get to a safe place okay?"
She's safe.... for now.
"Calm down, we'll get to you soon."
No they're lying.
"We will put out the fire and save your parents, I promise."
Lies. Lies and blasphemy.

Two hours had passed and no one was there to help them. The girl watched and panicked as her younger brother's pulse got slower, his face got paler and his breathing got slower. The girl prayed for someone to just come and help herself and her dying brother but no avail. There's nothing but the darkness that comforted them.

The girl suddenly heard a blood curdling scream that send chills to her spine. The little girl widened her eyes in fear, holding to her brother tightly and protectively. A couple of mumbled curses made the girl flinch in fear. "W-Who's there?!" She called out, still holding onto her brother, "is anyone there?" She heard the sound of clicking from something she wasn't so sure of as she looked around hopefully for a saviour to come.

".....Why hello there."

The girl widened her eyes in horror at the sight of a grown man covered in blood, holding a gun with one hand pointing at her and a bloody wallet in another. "W-Who are you?" She squeaked in fear, brown eyes widening as she held onto her unconscious brother for comfort. The man cautiously lowered his gun. "Me? Who are you? What are you doing here in the middle of nowhere? Why are you so filthy and covered in blood?" He asked as he tried to tame his messy hair to look more presentable but failed. "Please excuse my rude remark but I could say the same to you with the blood but.... I got into a car crash around two hours ago. Me and my brother are the only survivors...." The girl trailed off, finally widening her eyes upon realisation.